Menu

What to take to college lists of must haves?

Murphy101

My second and third born are going off to university as transfer students this fall. (We are all VERY excited!! Squeeeeee! lol)

I'm looking at the dorm lists that are online via various places and I'm thinking, hoping actually, these are like the insane lists of "must have" before baby comes lists for pregnant women. You know, like you need 25 baby gowns or whatever, but you really don't need that to do just fine.

I know they will need a dorm frig, sheets, towels, shower caddy, basic office/school supply items, a hamper...

They are staying in seperate dorms, so I'll need two of everything.

I'm trying to get a lot done this week because one of them is going away for a summer job and will only be home until Wednesday, then 4 day break around Fourth of July and done with the job just 2 weeks before dorm move in day. As we are on a budget, we can't spend for everything they need in one lump sum the day they move in. I know there will be many things we forget but I'm trying to avoid as much as possible.

Tia.

Edited by Murphy101

We didn't get everything on the dorm list and my son never missed it. Many of the lists that you'll find are provided by stores who want to sell you a lot of unnecessary things.

My son had both a microwave and a small refrigerator that he purchased at a garage sale for $5.00. If he had to choose between a dorm fridge and a microwave though, he would choose the microwave. Ramen, cans of soup, coffee, etc. don't need to be kept cold. Mostly, he used his refrigerator for Chipolte leftovers and to make ice. He has a coffee maker, but usually drank instant coffee anyway because it was quicker make using the microwave. He uses his cell phone as an alarm clock so he didn't need a clock. A few things were must haves for him - outlet strips and extension cords because he only had 2 outlets in his room and an internet cable because the wifi wasn't always the best. Nerf guns - maybe that was more dorm specific! Outside of those things he needed the usual linens, personal care products, laundry detergent, school supplies and food/snacks - the stuff that you would figure out even if no list was provided.

First check out what is provided by the college. I thought that the boys in the quad would have to provide trash cans, toilet brush, and shower curtain, but those are provided as well as a white board which will be handy. The mini fridge was $99 a year to rent but my nephew had one that was practically brand new that he sold us for $100 so we sae money there and youngest will be in college for two years after his older brother and can use it. Do not get a microwave until you check the rules. Some schools do not allow them im the room but keep a couple in the common area.

I think most dorm lists are overdone. I favor a bit more minimalist approach and will leave money behind for ds in case he needs something we did not bring.

P's school has the extra long twin beds so I need to shop for sheets.

• Like 1

I want to put in a plug for Turkish towels instead of regular thick terry cloth towels.  I use one at home because it dries so much faster than a regular towel, but it would be even more useful in a dorm or hotel.  I don't love the way they feel (it's not bad, just not squishy soft), but if you wash them three or so times before you use them, they are plenty absorbent.  I just sent my daughter to China with Turkish bath and hand towels because they take up way less room in her luggage and also because of the drying factor.  I just hang mine on a hook, and it dries completely in a couple of hours, as opposed to a thicker towel that has to be spread out and may or may not be dry by evening.  They are more expensive, but prices vary wildly (Amazon and etsy both have tons), but your kid will need fewer towels and have to do less laundry.

We've learned all kinds of interesting things from reading the general housing and specific dorm pages :D

Extension cords are commonly prohibited. Buy the surge protector/power strip with the longest cord you can find!

Wifi can be tricky in older dorms with all that cinderblock. An ethernet cable might be handy.

Ds did not use a microwave, just a tiny cube fridge passed down from a relative. Dd has food allergies so we purchased a larger fridge with an actual freezer portion. Her roommate brought the microwave.

At some schools stand-alone microwaves are not allowed, just the combo micro-fridge things that can be rented for $$. In that case, investigate whether the dorm has a shared kitchen with a microwave.

Absolute necessities: sheets and bedding (consider a mattress topper for comfort---dorm mattresses can be very thin and hard), towels, shower caddy, shower shoes (flipflops), laptop, good backpack that fit said laptop, laundry detergent.

Youngest dd and I play a game every year at her siblings' move-in called "What won't fit in that kid's dorm room and what will be going home at parents weekend" :lol:

• Like 2

I second the rolling cart for a backpack. I think that eldest ds would have permanent back injury were it not for that. His classes were often back to back so no time to go retrieve books. He took his laptop, texts, notebooks, everything with him every day. That backpack was ridiculously heavy. His dad bought him a rolling cart made for laptop bags, and he said it is the single best thing we gave him for college.

I'll pick up one of those for P since as well.

One funny thing we got that my dd ended up loving and using a lot is a little rolling cart, like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/

It can fit almost anywhere and can take the place of nearly anything:  a nightstand, extra shelves for school supplies, cosmetics, clothing, whatever. 

I love this idea!! There's an ikea close to dds campus... I think we'll add stopping-by-ikea on our list of things to do when we are there dropping her off! I could see this being really handy!

• Like 1

I love this idea!! There's an ikea close to dds campus... I think we'll add stopping-by-ikea on our list of things to do when we are there dropping her off! I could see this being really handy!

Go early in the morning!  There is an Ikea a couple of blocks off of Georgia Tech's campus, and it is insane in the couple of days before classes start.  They also run out of stuff.  

Sincerely,

She Who Planned to Furnish her Homeschooling Room from Ikea the Same Week that Tech Started Back Years Ago and is Still Traumatized

• Like 1

Sincerely,

She Who Planned to Furnish her Homeschooling Room from Ikea the Same Week that Tech Started Back Years Ago and is Still Traumatized

😂😂😂😂 ok- maybe a better plan is to visit the ikea in a neighboring state sometime this summer. lol I can't handle any ikea drama on move-in week!

Some of the more helpful thing my ds found in the dorm-

A sturdy locking trunk.

Really good, noise cancelling headphones.

Memory foam pad for on top of his mattress.

Kindle to get cheaper, digital copies of textbooks.

Messenger style, really sturdy laptop bag.

• Like 3

Here are a couple of absolute musts - a clip on fan for their headboard or footboard, a memory foam mattress pad (those dorm mattresses are very hard!), if the washers/dryers take quarters, save up over the summer & send a ziploc of them, a good pair of earbuds/headphones, I could go on & on, but you'll get lots of advice here :)

Something that surprised me about DD's dorm apartment was the lack of overhead lighting.  We had to buy a desk lamp and a floor lamp for her, and her roommates did the same, and it was still dimmish.  That's something to check on--not all dorms are like that.  They have a column going from floor to ceiling in one corner of their living room, and they wound Christmas tree lights around and around it--it's lovely, but it gives them some crucial extra light also.  

Something that DD absolutely loves is her electric kettle to boil water for tea or hot chocolate.  

I'm glad we sprung for a fleece throw in addition to the normal bedding.  That's handy for late night homework or for right when you come in out of the cold, and it's inexpensive and not as bulky as, say, a couch quilt.

• Like 1

Okay...

I'm trying to go minimalist bc money is tight and bc we just don't want a ton of stress dealing with a bunch of stuff.

They'll have a dorm frig and microwave, some plates and storage bowls and utensils and cleaning supplies.

We need to get a printer and some Ethernet cables and other similiar office set up stuff.

The mattress pad idea is great bc now it's mentioned, I know that's going to be a must have.

They have some okay backpacks, but I don't think they are good enough. Currently they've only needed them to go from car to class, but while living one campus and walking a lot more, I think they need something more comfy on the back and weather durable.

Shower caddy and supplies

Bedding

I like the idea of a foot locker. And it would double as a table. We still have dh's from when he went to college but I think I'd rather get a square one than the traditional rectangle bc if you actually fill the thing, you can't really lift it to haul anywhere.

Bike and bike locks.

Hamper

Couple desk lamps, flashlights

Okay... Less stress bc we already have most of these items.

I don't want them to be frustrated and stressed the first week, but neither do I have any desire to over spend or go shopping on move in day. I'm thinking they can buy emergency stuff on their own as it comes up, and any other stuff can wait until I send a care package 2-3 weeks after move in?

• Like 1

Something that surprised me about DD's dorm apartment was the lack of overhead lighting. We had to buy a desk lamp and a floor lamp for her, and her roommates did the same, and it was still dimmish. That's something to check on--not all dorms are like that. They have a column going from floor to ceiling in one corner of their living room, and they wound Christmas tree lights around and around it--it's lovely, but it gives them some crucial extra light also.

Something that DD absolutely loves is her electric kettle to boil water for tea or hot chocolate.

I'm glad we sprung for a fleece throw in addition to the normal bedding. That's handy for late night homework or for right when you come in out of the cold, and it's inexpensive and not as bulky as, say, a couch quilt.

They can't have electric kettles for some dumb reason, but can have coffee makers. I have an old one I was going to give them so they can make things like Ramon noddles without having to go to the floor kitchen at the end of the hall. This is sorta on my list of things I might send in a care package if they mentioned it'd be nice. But if they don't mind leaving the suite for the community kitchen, that's fine by me too. One less thing to keep track of is always nice in our opinion.

Christmas lights! That's genius! I have TONS or white or blue ones I could send with them. My dad's exwife was a hoarder and when they split she left my Scrooge type dad with an entire bedroom of Christmas decor storage. Lol So he gave it all to me and it's just sitting in the garage. I was going to send some in a care package at Christmas to cheer the dorm, but I might just send some for extra lighting now.

I'm knitting away furiously on a big fluffy blanket for each of them as move in gifts.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of absolute musts - a clip on fan for their headboard or footboard, a memory foam mattress pad (those dorm mattresses are very hard!), if the washers/dryers take quarters, save up over the summer & send a ziploc of them, a good pair of earbuds/headphones, I could go on & on, but you'll get lots of advice here :)

A fan... Something to keep in mind. Thanks.

The washer and dryer are free, but I need to find out what kind of detergent it uses.

Ds's laundry basket is actually a mess foldable one so when not full, he can store it. I also have one of those under-bed storage tubs too. I figure that will come in handy.

I like the idea of a clip on fan. He gets hot easily, and he does like the background noise as well. As for detergent, we will send those laundry tab thingies that they just toss in because ds is just the type to spill laundry detergent. I love the kid, but he is a natural born "spiller". Eldest ds uses them and likes them. I buy bulk, and then send a baggie full back to the apartment with him when he visits. He says they work out well. I made a Dr. Who themed drawstring bag for his dryer sheets as well. It is so much cheaper per sheet to buy a big, bulk box, but with limited storage, just having a few at a time works well. I am anti-plastic when I can afford it, so the homemade cloth storage bags work well for us.

Before you buy the printer and ink, check to see if (1) they have a printing allowance included in the student account ('flex' or whatever) and (2) if there are several printing locations for the students to use.

Dd took a printer but discovered that it's easier and actually cheaper to print on the uni machines. She uploads what she needs printed and chooses the location--very simple.

Printers can take up a lot of space in a small dorm room!

• Like 3

Before you buy the printer and ink, check to see if (1) they have a printing allowance included in the student account ('flex' or whatever) and (2) if there are several printing locations for the students to use.

Dd took a printer but discovered that it's easier and actually cheaper to print on the uni machines. She uploads what she needs printed and chooses the location--very simple.

I was worried that if we bought ds a printer that he would have constant requests to use it. Sometimes in a dorm it can be hard to say "no" to something like that without sounding like a jerk. But maybe I am just remembering my dorm days...

• Like 1

OH! Something I saw in some dorm rooms was heavy blocks under the beds (if you don't have bunks piled up), to raise them enough to put more stuff underneath. This was a brilliant use of wasted space.

Oh I have some. I don't know why I have them bc I've never used them... But it's this package of four square thingies that go under the bed-feet to lift it 6 inches higher. I'll buy a second pack so they both have them. Thanks!

Oh I have some. I don't know why I have them bc I've never used them... But it's this package of four square thingies that go under the bed-feet to lift it 6 inches higher. I'll buy a second pack so they both have them. Thanks!

Check the housing FAQ before you buy this. dd's school will only allow you to loft the bed using their equipment/stuff, you can't do it any other way. 

• Like 4

Check the housing FAQ before you buy this. dd's school will only allow you to loft the bed using their equipment/stuff, you can't do it any other way.

g

Yes!

The beds at dd's school can be raised higher than possible with those little supports, high enough that totes and boxes and short fridges fit underneath. True lofting is only possible by arranging it through the school so it's done before move-in.

Also, printers need constant feeding: ink and paper. And then they break down.

There is nothing on my list that hasn't been listed already, but I thought I'd share from the list above the hits and misses according to my kids (I left off some of the obvious like sheets):

Hits:

Liquid laundry detergent (ds's dorms had smaller washers/dryers and tabs would have been TOO much)

Fridge/Microwave: ds's college provides a microwave and fridge for each suite. Dd will take her own fridge. Ds only uses the fridge and never used the microwave and we will be getting him his own this year. Dd is a vegetarian and likes keeping food on hand in the fridge, but again, doesn't care about the microwave - there is one in the kitchenette on each wing of the dorm.

Mattress pad - Yes!

Towels - do look for something labeled quick drying. Wal-Mart has Better Homes and Gardens quick drying towels that we like.

Christmas lights - dd loves these for soft light.

Noise Canceling Headphones were huge for ds - not needed for dd.

Power Strip with a 6 foot cord that doesn't count as an extension cord :)

My kids appreciated fans - they found the dorms warmer than they like year around.

Prohibited or Unnecessary

Printer - they are free all over campus for both kids. Larger or color prints are printed at a low charge. Neither prints much, most papers are turned in electronically.

Risers for beds - prohibited (both schools offer beds that adjust to various heights)

Coffee pot or any exposed heated surface prohibited at both my kids schools 

Bath Caddy - both kids were able to store necessary supplies in the shower and sink areas. 

Didn't need extra throws or warm covers - again the dorms were warmer than they like year around.

• Like 2

What DS didn't need (IOW - what was sent home early or is not going back next year)-

If your child is on a meal plan, dishes and kitchen items may not be necessary.  DS never used the dishes, food containers, mugs or any kitchen type stuff we sent. His school's food plan was wonderful and he never needed to cook or reheat anything.  When he wanted a drink outside of meals it was usually in a can or plastic bottle (lemonade, not beer) or in his Nalgene (water).

He rode his bike once.  The school was small enough that he didn't need it.  The school also has a bike program on campus and students can just jump on a bike and ride if they needed to get across campus in a hurry.

Fan - his air conditioned dorm room had a thermostat and was kept at a nice temp all year long.

Extra sheets  -  he said it was easier to just strip the bed, wash everything, and remake it.  He didn't use the flannel sheets I had sent for winter.  The extra blanket was left folded in the drawer.  I think this is due to the easy access to the thermostat and being able to control the room temp.

Desk lamp - he never studied at his desk.  He preferred the library or sitting on his bed.  He has asked for a floor lamp for next year.

--

Requested items for next year-

Floor lamp

Printer - he had some issues this year with printers being down or being over used.  Having one in his room as a backup would have saved him from some anxiety and running around a couple of times.  (Yes, procrastination happened and some papers were still warm when handed in at deadline.)

• Like 2

Definitely check with both the college and any future roommates before buying some things!

Only my oldest needed a fridge and microwave freshman year.  Roommates of the others brought them.  Two per room are NOT needed and rarely fit well.

Christmas lights are illegal at middle son's school.

Anything other than school options for raising beds has been illegal at all three schools if I remember correctly.  Hot plates are too.

Mine have appreciated having some microwave capable dishes (and covers) for heating leftovers.

They've also liked having a mat to put shoes/boots on that catches and holds water and other muck.

They've loved door jams (to hold open their door when desired).

They've loved their mattress pads and extra sheets.

Fans and lights are appreciated too.

We tend to send ours with the basics recommended by the school (not an entire list, but basics) and adjust as they figure out what they want.  Youngest wanted a hammock! (Just to add the strangest request.)

ETA:  No printer needed or wanted.  Many submissions are electronic, not printed, and when they do need print outs, it's easy to get them elsewhere.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 3

They will probably not be sharing a room. The 3 types of set up are:

- shared bedroom w/ communal bathroom

- shared bedroom and bathroom

Suite styles are

- private bedrooms with shared or private bathrooms

- private bedrooms with shared or private bathrooms and a shared living room

Current students, then transfer students (my kids), then new students get order of selection.

The private bedrooms are not as much more as we thought they would be. In fact, the set up they are eyeing as first choice is only $200 more a semester.

So "roommate" is a loose term, because it's likely they won't actually be sharing a bedroom. Just the living area and maybe the bathroom.

One will have a car, but the campus is both huge and tight. It's such a nightmare driving around that humongous place, that you get where you're going faster if you walk or bike. Everyone we came across who lived on campus said to store the car and bring a bike, if that. It's very pedestrian friendly and if they need a ride, the college has its own transit system that will take them anywhere they want to go for free.

I know Christmas lights are allowed.

I think we will likely buy very little and see what come up as a needed too.

• Like 2

I think I have seen everything else on the lists above that is needed but wanted to throw in command strips - hooks etc. You can not nail or screw or tape anything to the wall so command strips are your friend. My son and I even figured out how to use command strip hooks so he could have a basket next to his loft bed so he could put a book or his phone in there without it falling out. You can also use them to hang posters and snake cords up to a loft bed. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

dd is headed to a school that has a hammock club! 

When we toured Queen's U in Charlotte, the guide pointed out that the SGA project for that year was to have additional hammock posts installed on campus.  I thought that was way better than some other SGA projects I'd heard of!

• Like 1

Okay...

I'm trying to go minimalist bc money is tight and bc we just don't want a ton of stress dealing with a bunch of stuff.

We need to get a printer and some Ethernet cables and other similiar office set up stuff.

My kids didn't need a printer.  Most of their stuff was submitted online, and there were printers in the library etc. if they needed one.

Minimalist is good because there just is not a lot of room in the typical dorm.  

Don't forget a few meds, a big bottle of Gatorade, and a couple of cans of chicken soup, so that they have the basics should they get sick.  I write "for sickness only" on the Gatorade to be sure it's there when they need it for illness.

Please share pattern and yarn!

Garter squish blanket by Steven West. You hold two strands Aran or Worsted weight yarn and the whole thing is garter stitch. It's a fabulous way to make a really colorful really squishy blanket out of all those single skins of yarn in the stash.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-squish