Menu

Reading Eggs/Math Seeds opinions?

I'm considering purchasing a subscription to these for my 5.5 year old dd. I got Prodigy Math for the big two girls on a group buy for $12, and it has been fantastic. They ask to play math before breakfast. I had hoped my little girl could use it, but their lowest level is first grade, and she isn't ready for some of the problems-at least not independently, which is the whole reason I would want one of these subscriptions for her. I need something she can play on her own for a half hour per day, while I do more intensive teaching of the big girls. She is not easily entertained-I've tried everything to have her occupy herself and she just ends up being a major distraction. 

She is playing the free trial right now, and I was thinking of going ahead and signing her up in two weeks when that ends. However I was hoping to get some opinions on it first. Or maybe alternate suggestions? Other games similar to RE/MS? Thanks in advance. 

My 5 year old loves it!!! We've had the subscription for a year and just renewed it. She likes math seeds better than the reading eggs part, but that's just simply because she likes math better. She has learned so much and it's nice to have something she can go do for awhile when I need to be working with another child.

• Like 1

DD loves it too.   She was using Reading Eggs when I renewed through the online homeschooling curriculum co-op.   Math Seeds came with it.   I was unimpressed with the first lesson.   A whole lesson on the number 1, really?   But, then sometimes with those first lessons she would struggle and I'd be surprised so MathSeeds was filling an education hole that I hadn't known about.   I like having both.  Before, when she'd hit a wall on the reading she'd want to go to playarea or not do it at all.  Now, when she hits a wall in one of them, she just goes to the other one.  DD prefers MathSeeds and she says it is because the activities vary more.   

For us, it is hair-combing time.  She sits in my lap and I comb her hair.  We both love seeing the animal at the end. 

• Like 1

I've used it for 2 years and it's been great! They offer really good renewal prices too. DD (aged 5) has been doing it for a year and DD age 8 for two years. I've seen  more progress in general with DD aged 5 but she has had more room to "improve." She has been doing 1st grade math for awhile now (since aged 4 1/2) and it all started with Mathseeds. 

I will say that reading eggs has been more helpful for DD aged 8 because DD aged 5 is mostly reading CVC, CVCC  and CCVC words and sometimes the lesson parts can get "beyond" sounding out (high frequency words that can be challenging). I have needed to help the younger with reading eggs but rarely have to help with mathseeds. For DD aged 8 it has been great for reinforcing more advanced phonics such as various vowel teams, etc.

If the lessons get too advanced you can always go in and reset to earlier lessons (do them again). My girls never have minded if I did that because they enjoyed the lessons.

There are also "extra" arcade type learning games that my girls really enjoy. I think it's been a good purchase for us and one that gets used regularly. Often DD aged 5 will do her mathseeds lesson while I am working with my older daughter. It definitely keeps her excited and engaged.

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher
  • Like 1

My daughter used reading eggs and reading eggspress until she outgrew it. She is dyslexic, so she used it until 11 years old. She loved it, and was a little sad when I didn't renew it. I felt like it helped her retain some of the skills that she was learning. She loved to see how she was improving, which was important for a child that is behind the average skill level.

• Like 1

I've had my kids try both RE and MS, and all three of my kids have liked Math Seeds way better than Reading Eggs.  It may be that the animation is much higher quality (larger seems to matter, too--YDS kept complaining that RE looked so small on the computer screen) and the narrative/characters introducing concepts in MS are more engaging.  After the trial, I didn't bother subscribing to RE because no one wanted to do it.

For the older kids I had a six-month subscription to MS.  They played it hardcore for the first few months and then tapered off, but they were still referring back to things they had learned for the next year, at least.  YDS is 4 and I just got him a yearlong subscription.  He was obsessed for a little while and then waned.  Thankfully, the subscription has lots of time, and I'm sure he'll get more use out of it before it's done.  The older two were so excited to see MathSeeds again that I felt bad that I wasn't getting them a subscription, but ODS finished the content during his original stint (part of the reason his interest waned--he could only repeat lessons or play games until they finally added a new map, which he quickly finished and was back in a holding pattern again).  So the older two watch nostalgically and then run off to play Prodigy.

• Like 2

Well for what is worth my son started using it when he was 3 1/2 yrs. old my sister is teacher and let him play with it when he wanted.  He probably played it 3x week for about 30 min. at a time.  I wouldn't let him play longer than that.  He loved getting his eggs to play his games!  He finished Reading Eggs right before his 5th birthday.  Just me reading to him a lot and him using Reading Eggs he is now reading at a 2nd grade level easy and I didn't teach him any phonics!  It was amazing!  I don't know if it was Reading Eggs or him just figuring it out on his own but he loved it!  Right before his 5th birthday I took the plunge and purchased a year worth hoping to get him into Math Seeds and work some more on his math skills since he loved it so much.  He has done great.  Yes, some of the things might be too easy but you can have your child take a test in the beginning and have them start where they need to be.  I found Reading Eggs express very difficult for a 5 yr. old but he has been plowing through it and amazing me!  I highly recommend it especially if she seems to like it!  HTH  :-)

• Like 1