Menu

s/o Crying Kids in Workshops/Dream Homeschool Convention

How coincidental!  I just coordinated a (Jewish) homeschool conference last weekend in Baltimore (http://torahhomeeducationconference2016.eventbee.com).  It's the only Jewish homeschool conference in the world so far (in its seventh year, second under my leadership).  

I have to accommodate both the Judaic side (which is rather extensive as the goal of most families is to be familiar with our holy texts and commentaries in their original languages, Hebrew language, and other general Jewish knowledge) as well as the secular side.  It also needs to be relatively cheap, have child care, and cater to potential, new, and veteran homeschoolers of every possible HS philosophy and religiousness.  Easy, right?  :lol:

In this year's evaluations, people are asking to change the location (we have done so, but Baltimore is where the most Jewish homeschoolers live in one small area in the whole USA and people, especially newbies want to spend time with veteran homeschoolers outside the conference during the Sabbath preceding the conference.  When we did it in NJ, people commented that the communal feeling was lost because people were scattered all over NJ/NY the day before the conference.

They also ask for sessions on "How to Teach..." with specific directions instead of general confidence building or supportive talks.  I have a hard time with that as I know (and they don't) that everyone's homeschool can and will look different and you kinda have to figure it out on the fly, but I will try to work on that for future conferences.  

They also want more vendors.  We just started asking vendors to come two conferences ago (my idea). We're a small conference, so many secular businesses aren't so interested in coming.  There is almost no Jewish homeschool curricula out there; the most of what we have to date are online tutorial services.  The Jewish publishing houses avoid us like the plague, even to the point of not selling to homeschoolers (sounds like homeschool history!).  So when people ask for more vendors, I have nothing to offer them.

Some people asked for fewer unschoolers, but they tend to be the most vocal and best speakers in our circles, so even as I am not an unschooler, they were perhaps over represented.

People loved our child care and I have my best volunteer to thank for that.  :hurray:  She is the youth director at a synagogue and she hired out her child care staff.  Best.decision.ever!  Worth every penny!

I also created a Mom's Night Out activity for the evening after the conference.  A bunch of people had to drive/fly home, but those who were able to come painted, got massages, did charity work, watched food demos, bought jewelry and scarves, ate mini desserts and drank lots of wine.  It was very fun to give an experience like that to these hardworking women.

The last thing I will mention is for everyone who wants to see a conference catering to their needs.  You have to step up if you want it to happen and it can't be just one person's baby.  I had a good crew two conferences ago, but due to several speakers and crucial volunteers not coming the day of the conference, things weren't as organized as they should have been.  This year, I got practically no volunteers and I took on all roles (speaker selection, rental of hall, A/V, food, vendors).  I will not do it again if I don't get substantial help.  I gave over this message at the last talk of the day (although my husband said it was a good speech, but I needed to be even more blunt).  This needs to be a group activity if you want it done right.

I wish I had a conference I could go to - I don't stop moving at my conference.  I can't wait for the Southern PA meetup.  Yup, I'm driving from MA.   :driving:

• Like 1