Menu

AP Coursework in 8th grade?

DS wants to take AP Computer Science Principles, AP Human Geography, and AP Environmental Science next year in 8th grade. He is capable of this, no problem. The question is, will it benefit him in any way to do so or should he save this coursework for high school? Honestly, I would prefer he take them sooner rather than later, because (1) he is ripe for it and (2) he wants to take more AP courses that appear to be much more challenging than these, and I don't want him overloaded in high school. Will test scores from 8th grade count for anything on his high school transcripts? I know some people list coursework done prior to high school on transcripts. 

• Like 1

We have asked at various colleges. All have said that even if they would not accept the credits, they accept the AP test scores. Without the scores three of the five commented that it is basically a wash. All of the colleges wanted the classes through an outside provider if they were done before 10th grade. They were highly skeptical of AP as Mommy Grades without test scores or an outside provider to verify. One school openly thought it would call Ds' transcript into question unless there was an obnoxious amount of further varification somehow.

Ds is going to do AP Chem in 7th next year. In 8th it is a full AP load. Our CC accepts AP tests for a complete year and a half of their two year associates degree. We have been advised multiple times to use this to full advantage. You migt want to see what local colleges will accept.

• Like 3

Since we won't be doing course audits, I figure I'll have them on the transcript as X class, with AP exam, assuming I can find a place for DD to take them. Since the move is still on the table (albeit likely delayed by a year), and DD going to a physical school is much more likely if we end up moving, I'd like some outside verification that her work really is at the level I'm claiming it is, and AP seems like a good way to do that.

Unfortunately, asking on our local homeschooling high school board to see if anyone knew of friendly schools led to a lot of people saying "Just put the class on the transcript without an exam-that's what I do", and one person who passed on wisdom from the WTM high school board  :rolleyes:. 
I'm hoping the high school that also hosts talent search and a lot of the contests locally will be amenable. At very least, some of their faculty have a slight possibility of recognizing DD.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

He will definitely test for scores. I can see how just listing on the transcript without a score would be worthless to colleges. DH is about to retire and we seriously might end up in any one of half a dozen different states and a few different countries, so looking at local colleges isn't going to work for me now.

I think he probably won't be a good candidate for DE until 10th or 11th grade due to personality, so that is on my side for now. Even now he is starting "small" with these classes. Three, yes, but relatively easy as AP classes go. He loves geography and current events, and he is becoming very interested in conservation. I could see Human Geography and Environmental Science meshing nicely. He also wanted to take Forensic Science next year, but I am tempted to leave that for high school because some of it is heavy stuff emotionally and he is prone to anxiety, but also so I can put it on his transcript. I can see him doubling up on science every year, he loves it so much.

dmmetler, I was rolling my eyes right along with you. Local HSers have been similarly "helpful" to me over the years, starting with advice to just go to Walmart and get some workbooks when the kids were young. LOL I've always had different goals.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 2

AVA, please make sure that you have a local school that will be offering AP Human Geography (or, the holy grail of schools, one that will offer to proctor any test even if they are no offering it as a course). APHG is one of the more rare offerings.

We had the dickens of a time finding a site for APHG last year and again for AP Comparative Government this year. For others reading along, AP Latin and other languages (regionally) can be tricky to find. Also, some schools alternate offerings---like World one year and Euro the next---do double check in case of long-range planning with a friendly school.

• Like 2

Well fraggle rock! LOL How did I not think about the fact that if we end up in the UAE or Taiwan, I'll most likely be out of luck for the test. Do you know if testing has to be local? The high school DS would attend at our old place in AZ offered all the AP courses we are interested in. If we end up back there (a strong possibility), we would be golden. Other places, not so much. We could travel if allowed.

Maybe, but I wouldn't discount it just yet. Most countries have private American schools, often the most expensive and elite. I know of two rather remote countries where in each place local American schools offer AP classes and exams. Now I don't know if all schools would offer those particular classes, but maybe they would be willing to proctor AP exam even if their locations don't offer those particular APs.

See an example. This school offers APs. I bet schools like this would let you test there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_School_of_Dubai

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

I'm on mobile--otherwise I'd link for you. Search for 'AP course ledger' to find a listing of schools, by location, which have offered each AP exam in the past.

That's where I started when I needed to find a site. This year we drove an hour each way for five tests.

• Like 1

Well fraggle rock! LOL How did I not think about the fact that if we end up in the UAE or Taiwan, I'll most likely be out of luck for the test. Do you know if testing has to be local? The high school DS would attend at our old place in AZ offered all the AP courses we are interested in. If we end up back there (a strong possibility), we would be golden. Other places, not so much. We could travel if allowed.

People do travel.

American/International schools often offer AP testing, there may be an administration fee but some may even be willing to order administer a specific test just for you. That is also where you would likely turn for SAT's.

• Like 1

He will definitely test for scores. I can see how just listing on the transcript without a score would be worthless to colleges. DH is about to retire and we seriously might end up in any one of half a dozen different states and a few different countries, so looking at local colleges isn't going to work for me now.

I think he probably won't be a good candidate for DE until 10th or 11th grade due to personality, so that is on my side for now. Even now he is starting "small" with these classes. Three, yes, but relatively easy as AP classes go. He loves geography and current events, and he is becoming very interested in conservation. I could see Human Geography and Environmental Science meshing nicely. He also wanted to take Forensic Science next year, but I am tempted to leave that for high school because some of it is heavy stuff emotionally and he is prone to anxiety, but also so I can put it on his transcript. I can see him doubling up on science every year, he loves it so much.

dmmetler, I was rolling my eyes right along with you. Local HSers have been similarly "helpful" to me over the years, starting with advice to just go to Walmart and get some workbooks when the kids were young. LOL I've always had different goals.

Well, I'm going to offer a different viewpoint. DS WILL have his taken-purely-for-fun Thinkwell Bio compatible with AP but without AP exam listed on his transcript. I really don't see why not when he did the work, read up on his own outside of class and could discuss high level bio with me. I am not married to an AP score telling me how rigorously my kid studies. I was debating listing it as an elective but was advised to just list it with science by an experienced college counselor. I'm making it clear that it is without exam and without the AP score. Why? Because we didn't do any of it to please a college. We did it to please him and I want that reflected in his records. If they want to reject him based on that one thing they can go ahead. He WILL have another college bio to back up that grade by the way.

Totally agree to let him take what he wants. Don't worry about what to put on a transcript yet. It will fall into place when the time comes. And good luck!! I definitely agree with the underlined. Go for what he loves and what makes sense logistically! Worry about transcript and what people think about it later.

Good luck with any upcoming moves AVA!

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to offer a different viewpoint. DS WILL have his taken-purely-for-fun Thinkwell Bio compatible with AP but without AP exam listed on his transcript. I really don't see why not when he did the work, read up on his own outside of class and could discuss high level bio with me. I am not married to an AP score telling me how rigorously my kid studies. I was debating listing it as an elective but was advised to just list it with science by an experienced college counselor. I'm making it clear that it is without exam and without the AP score. Why? Because we didn't do any of it to please a college. We did it to please him and I want that reflected in his records. If they want to reject him based on that one thing they can go ahead. He WILL have another college bio to back up that grade by the way.

Totally agree to let him take what he wants. Don't worry about what to put on a transcript yet. It will fall into place when the time comes. And good luck!! I definitely agree with the underlined. Go for what he loves and what makes sense logistically! Worry about transcript and what people think about it later.

Good luck with any upcoming moves AVA!

I think my wording suffered there when I wrote worthless. I think in a case where you have other courses/tests to back up a student's ability to work at a high level, listing an AP without a test would not be a big deal, even giving the appropriate appearance of learning for the sake of learning, as with your son. My DS has already done lots of extra science and math for his own edification and will continue that, so I hear you on doing it for enjoyment and still including it on the transcript. Knowing that in my case, DS probably won't have outside support like DE for his "Mommy grades" for a few more years, I was just thinking it would be helpful (aka "worth" something, LOL) to have an AP score as an indicator of his ability.

And thanks for the good luck wishes! We are stressed out waiting to see where we will end up!

• Like 1

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22743800/stellar-harker-school-student-wins-siemens-award-advanced

"Ashvin's AP quest started early. He took his first AP calculus test in the eighth grade, followed by physics and computer science tests in the ninth grade."

I went to a junior high that had an advanced math track aiming for AP calculus in 9th grade, but every so often a kid would do it in 8th.

I personally think the "don't include achievements from middle school" prohibition is bunk. If your kid wins the National Spelling Bee in 8th grade (or 5th grade) you will (and you should) find a way to mention that in your apps.

Edited by kubiac
  • Like 1

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22743800/stellar-harker-school-student-wins-siemens-award-advanced

"Ashvin's AP quest started early. He took his first AP calculus test in the eighth grade, followed by physics and computer science tests in the ninth grade."

I went to a junior high that had an advanced math track aiming for AP calculus in 9th grade, but every so often a kid would do it in 8th.

I personally think the "don't include achievements from middle school" prohibition is bunk. If you kid wins the National Spelling Bee in 8th grade (or 5th grade) you will (and you should) find a way to mention that in your apps.

I've heard of kids who basically go for them all. It's not a goal here because my kids and I don't want to adhere to the test for so many subjects, but it would certainly make a student stand out.

I agree that extraordinary achievements at a younger age should be included on a transcript.

I went to a junior high that had an advanced math track aiming for AP calculus in 9th grade, but every so often a kid would do it in 8th.".

Harker is known for that among colleges which is why the school has an admission tests for entry and kids get rejected of they didn't do well enough. Parents in my neighborhood prep their kids for the admission tests.

Basis Independent Silicon Valley also ask their students to do their first AP in 8th.