Menu

Calling high school veterans...counselor letter question

quark

For college applications...

I am wondering how much to explain about kiddo being grade skipped/ accelerated in the counselor letter. Any pointers/ advice?

By way of explanation for curriculum/ DE choices, I wrote one sentence in the school profile stating that he started high school a few years early (well, not exactly as it was asynchronous and any "skipping" was done after the fact, but not sure how else to put it?).

Should I explain more in the counselor letter or leave it out completely? Don't want to come across as a long winded/ bragging parent/ counselor. I want to keep it to the point -- factual -- letting his grades/ scores do the "showing and talking".

Edited by quark

I have no experience as a counselor, but the last three kids I helped with their colleges essays got into top UCs,   My opinion is that accomplishments that are obvious from awards, records, transcript should be just touched upon. Leave the explaining for the not so obvious-- uniqueness, character,, commitment, adversity, independence...

• Like 1

My dd skipped a grade (went from 8th to 10th), but I didn't mention it at all.  As long as she had all the necessary classes, I figured that was all they (colleges) needed.  She was accepted at colleges no problem.

• Like 1

Mine also accelerated in certain subjects, so in the School Profile, I briefly mentioned stuff like:

- Self-studying AP Chem and Cal BC and taking the exams in 8th grade. 

- Completing EPGY high school math (Honors Beginning Algebra, Honors Intermediate Algebra, and Honors Geometry) in middle school.

- Starting a high school foreign language in 7th grade. 

They were mentioned in the context of the different modes of learning used in our homeschool (self-studies, online classes,and DE).

But I didn't include a few classes in the School Profile (high school social studies and DE math) taken before 9th grade mainly because it would have become "too much". 

In the Counselor Letter, I briefly talked about certain perfect scores in 7th & 8th grade SAT & ACT (Reading & Math). It was in the context of DC's love for reading and math.

Most of the descriptions were elaborated facts that can be easily verified (by AP/SAT/ACT scores and transcripts issued by outside providers)

and also found in the official high school transcript (by subjects).

HTH

• Like 1