Menu

Help me choose language arts curriculum

I am trying to decide on LA/grammar curriculum for my oldest two DDs. They will be in 5th and 7th grades. We will be doing IEW for writing and Spelling Power (still needed by both). We school year round but only do more traditional work for only 28 weeks (that's the hope/plan anyway). I had them together this year doing Serl's ILL but they don't necessarily have to stay together - although it would simplify things for me. I lean CM in educational philosophy but am open to other styles.

So, with that background, here's what I'm considering:

1. LLATL This worked well for us a few years ago. The lessons were short, it covered everything and I'm ok with it being light. It was my first choice until I realized that there are 36 weeks of lessons plus 4 book studies. A lot to cram into 28 weeks maybe?

2. IEW Fix-It grammar. I could keep them together and we already use their writing and like it. No diagramming though. I'm fine with not covering that every year but I would like to cover it at some point. Maybe use it for a year or two and then switch to something else?

3. Cottage Press intermediate LA. I just saw this last night and really like the looks of it. Covers everything more rigorously than LLATL and in only 28 weeks (Bonus!). But what after this? It's only one year so I'd have to figure out what else to use next year. Also, maybe too hard for 5th grader.

4 R&S - I know this is supposed to be excellent. I just don't know where to place them or if I could get it done in my time frame (but maybe that doesn't matter and we could stretch it out longer than one year?)

5. TLP Literature guides. They say they cover all LA and it would be pretty easy to make them work with our schedule. I haven't heard them recommended often though. This option is also quite a bit different than the others and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Thoughts? My head is spinning with options. Help!

Literature is covered. My girls read constantly and my oldest chooses classics on her own and tells me about them. My youngest needs a push away from Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Magic Tree House but I think I can easily cover lit with just lists from WTM, SCM, and Ambleside. I'll probably go with Fix-It but our local used bookstore had a bunch of R&S so maybe I'll run in there before I order and check it out.

Thank you! I feel so much better about this Now!

Here's an idea.  You could do MCT grammar. I would suggest having them both do Town (or possibly Voyage) level, and the practice book that goes along with it.  It begins with an intensive explanation of the grammar in a sit-down-and-read-together book, which could take around 6 weeks or maybe 10 at a more leisurely pace.  Then there is practice book of 100 sentences.  You could do one a day or three a week, or whichever you choose, to practice using the grammar.  This way you could adjust it to fit in a 28 week year.  You could also add in one of the poetics books that you do together (Music of the Hemispheres is what we did with my 3rd, 5th, and 8th graders this year).

Also, I know there are new ibooks of the MCT books, that are interactive and somewhat self-teaching IIRC.

• Like 1

Here's an idea. You could do MCT grammar. I would suggest having them both do Town (or possibly Voyage) level, and the practice book that goes along with it. It begins with an intensive explanation of the grammar in a sit-down-and-read-together book, which could take around 6 weeks or maybe 10 at a more leisurely pace. Then there is practice book of 100 sentences. You could do one a day or three a week, or whichever you choose, to practice using the grammar. This way you could adjust it to fit in a 28 week year. You could also add in one of the poetics books that you do together (Music of the Hemispheres is what we did with my 3rd, 5th, and 8th graders this year).

Also, I know there are new ibooks of the MCT books, that are interactive and somewhat self-teaching IIRC.

Thanks! I don't know much about this program but I'll look into it. :-)