Menu

What are your thoughts on the quality of Easy Peasy All-in-One high school?

Give me the good, the bad, & the ugly.  Some very good friends might form a high school co-op next year (unheard of in our tiny area, so a rare opportunity) based on classical/Christian education.  The conversation has suddenly shifted to a lot of favorable talk about Easy Peasy.  How does it compare to other homeschool curricula common to this board?  What are your experiences with it?

I have no experience with this.  But thanks for bringing it up.  I just went over to look at it, and I think I may be able to incorporate a couple of the daily lesson plans for Spanish and Bible into my 7th grader's day.  It will be an easy, no planning way for me to get a couple of things done.

I already have the rest of my core planned, but wanted something for Bible OT, this year for her, as she is having trouble remembering details from the last OT study we did years ago. And I'm always trying to get Spanish in, and it doesn't happen a lot. So anything that is easy and completely accessible to her will be very helpful.  I have a text book that I was planning on pulling from for grammar once a week at co-op.  I think the videos she links to for Spanish on top of an overview of grammar (along with the fact that she has Latin experience to draw from) will be easy for me. Thanks!

Well it is not classical by any definition Im aware of....

I think anyone going through the trouble of setting up a coop can and should put something better together on their own.

I find it to be very weak in content.

Which courses?  why?

I peeked at a math course once it looked OK content wise - it had a day by day schedule.  You could tweak it as needed.

The math course I looked at only seemed to use videos for instruction and should also use a textbook such as CK12 or other freely available text.

Of course you would never use that name on your students transcript.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Agreed. I don't think 'Easy Peasy' would be looked upon well from the college admissions standpoint.  I would just describe the course instead.

• Like 1

Well it is not classical by any definition Im aware of....

I think anyone going through the trouble of setting up a coop can and should put something better together on their own.

Yes! I would expect the coop teachers to have some expertise in the subject that they are teaching. We used a coop for some classes and the teachers had the credentials that made the teacher biography page of our transcript quite impressive.

These teachers knew their subjects well and chose their own materials. This is what I would expect from a coop.

If it's just a matter of the coop  teacher doing what you can easily do at home, then I don't see the point. I would have a social club day instead for either extra-curricular activities  and field trips and/or contract with a dance, martial arts, music, visual arts studio, etc for a home school group class.

Edited by DebbS

Which courses?  why?

I peeked at a math course once it looked OK content wise - it had a day by day schedule.  You could tweak it as needed.

The math course I looked at only seemed to use videos for instruction and should also use a textbook such as CK12 or other freely available text.

Specifically the history.  For example, in World History, the questions are things like "What is a civilization?"   Not my cup of tea.