Menu

How full do you fill a front-loader washing machine?

I have an LG Tron Steamwasher, 4.0 cubic foot capacity. I have no clue how full is "too full" when loading it with clothes! I've read the instruction book, and it didn't say.

I remember (when front loaders first came out ) reading an article that said you could put more clothes in them than you could in a top-loader. This does seem to be true. But how much is enough? How much is too much?

I do know that I can stuff it pretty full and the clothes come out wonderfully clean (using my homemade laundry soap, no less). Is there some type of guideline anywhere?

Ria

You can fill it up. If you stuff it so full that there is no room left for the clothes to tumble around, then it won't get them fully clean.

I try to do loads when they will fill the washer, but leave a bit of room at the top.

Michelle T

Even when I stuff mine, it is a thin plastered rim by the end of the spin. I can stuff in so much, it really is 2 drier loads.

The saleslady who sold me my Whirlpool Duet front-loader said to fill it until you can just kind of lightly press down the clothes with your palm on top of the load.

So you aren't supposed to pack it too tight, but I gathered from what she told me, if you don't fill it full enough it also cuts down on the efficiency of the washer.

Very Full Indeed, but never stuffed so that there isn't any room. However, I've found that if I have a very large load that comes out very clean, it's more likely to come out of the dryer a bit wrinkled than if I just fill it full. Since I rarely pull my iron out more than once a year (I hang or drape the clothes as I take them out of the dryer) this is important enough to me that I often break the laundry into more reasonable loads unless it's towels or something else that won't wrinkle or tangle.

I have an LG Tron Steamwasher, 4.0 cubic foot capacity. I have no clue how full is "too full" when loading it with clothes! I've read the instruction book, and it didn't say.

I remember (when front loaders first came out ) reading an article that said you could put more clothes in them than you could in a top-loader. This does seem to be true. But how much is enough? How much is too much?

I do know that I can stuff it pretty full and the clothes come out wonderfully clean (using my homemade laundry soap, no less). Is there some type of guideline anywhere?

Ria

3/4 full is my personal guideline.