What's with the ads?

Photo

How full do you fill a front-loader washing machine?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Ria

Ria

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2947 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

I have an LG Tron Steamwasher, 4.0 cubic foot capacity. I have no clue how full is "too full" when loading it with clothes! I've read the instruction book, and it didn't say.

I remember (when front loaders first came out ) reading an article that said you could put more clothes in them than you could in a top-loader. This does seem to be true. But how much is enough? How much is too much?

I do know that I can stuff it pretty full and the clothes come out wonderfully clean (using my homemade laundry soap, no less). Is there some type of guideline anywhere?

Ria

#2 Veritaserum

Veritaserum

The Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5239 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

I don't know of any guideline.... I stuff mine all the way full sometimes and things come out clean. :) I love my front loader! :D

#3 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

She who plants flowers for bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17667 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

I leave a little bit of space at the top, so it's full but not stuffed to the gills. I don't know if that's necessary though.

Laura

#4 mrscopterdoc

mrscopterdoc

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

I don't know of any guideline.... I stuff mine all the way full sometimes and things come out clean. :) I love my front loader! :D

:iagree: I can wash in one load now what would take me 2 loads in my old top loader. I love my front loader! :D

#5 Tammy

Tammy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

nt

#6 Michelle T

Michelle T

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

You can fill it up. If you stuff it so full that there is no room left for the clothes to tumble around, then it won't get them fully clean.

I try to do loads when they will fill the washer, but leave a bit of room at the top.
Michelle T

#7 kalanamak

kalanamak

Geriatric Primipara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16200 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

You can fill it up. If you stuff it so full that there is no room left for the clothes to tumble around, then it won't get them fully clean.

I try to do loads when they will fill the washer, but leave a bit of room at the top.
Michelle T

Even when I stuff mine, it is a thin plastered rim by the end of the spin. I can stuff in so much, it really is 2 drier loads.

#8 rafiki

rafiki

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7537 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

#9 MicheleB

MicheleB

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

The saleslady who sold me my Whirlpool Duet front-loader said to fill it until you can just kind of lightly press down the clothes with your palm on top of the load.

So you aren't supposed to pack it too tight, but I gathered from what she told me, if you don't fill it full enough it also cuts down on the efficiency of the washer.

#10 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Very Full Indeed, but never stuffed so that there isn't any room. However, I've found that if I have a very large load that comes out very clean, it's more likely to come out of the dryer a bit wrinkled than if I just fill it full. Since I rarely pull my iron out more than once a year (I hang or drape the clothes as I take them out of the dryer) this is important enough to me that I often break the laundry into more reasonable loads unless it's towels or something else that won't wrinkle or tangle.

#11 Sharon in SC

Sharon in SC

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

I have an LG Tron Steamwasher, 4.0 cubic foot capacity. I have no clue how full is "too full" when loading it with clothes! I've read the instruction book, and it didn't say.

I remember (when front loaders first came out ) reading an article that said you could put more clothes in them than you could in a top-loader. This does seem to be true. But how much is enough? How much is too much?

I do know that I can stuff it pretty full and the clothes come out wonderfully clean (using my homemade laundry soap, no less). Is there some type of guideline anywhere?

Ria

3/4 full is my personal guideline.

#12 SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2012 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

As long as the door swings shut, I call it just fine.

#13 Dani n Monies Mom

Dani n Monies Mom

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Does the machine have an indicator light that will tell you if it's too full? I overfilled mine 1 time and I remember some kind of indicator that it was overfull.

You've gotten some great guidelines, these front loaders really pack it in.

Ava

What's with the ads?