Menu

Science Matters or Glencoe iScience?

Hi all:

I am working on my lesson plans for next year for a 6th and a 7th grader. I am impressed by both the Science Matters books on the Singapore website, and the Glencoe iScience books (though i don't like all the website bells and whistles). 

Seems to me the Science Matters program can be done fairly quickly and might allow time for deep dives / unit studies for things we are particularly interested in. 

The Glencoe books seem much more comprehensive, which is good, but won't allow for any deep dives.It will likely provide a better base, though. (I have also looked at Prentice and Holt, but like Glencoe best.) 

Neither seem to provide much in terms of labs / experiments. I will be doing Tinderbox to give them some hands-on activities, but these won't be related to the science curriculum. 

I should say my 6th grader loves science but me and my 7th grader do not. : /

I would love to hear what you all thought of both of these curricula, and how much time you spent getting through them: Science Matters 6A/B-7A/B and Glencoe: Life, Earth & Space, Physical iScience books (BTW, anyone know the difference between these and the Integrated iScience 1-2-3 courses?). 

Thank you!!

• Like 2