Menu

Wilson Hill with Chromebook?

While it may seem like a silly question, I can understand why you would ask.  We don't use a Chromebook; but it really should not matter since we use the same Google Chrome Browser.  Their course is a web application which runs within the browser.  From a technical standpoint, a Chrome browser is a Chrome browser regardless of which operating system it runs on.  The quality of your internet connection will be much more important than whether you use a Mac, PC, Chromebook or some other device.  In addition, most classes require a digital pen.  So, you will need to consider that as well, if required.

Edited by dereksurfs

Thanks Derek! While I agree that chrome should be chrome (and it's my browser of choice), Lots of times there are plugins and such that are installed on the computer so it makes me wonder if Wilson Hill has this. I've read that they are not compatible with all online classes because of this :( And I had no idea about the digital pen! That's good info. Thank you!

Thanks Derek! While I agree that chrome should be chrome (and it's my browser of choice), Lots of times there are plugins and such that are installed on the computer so it makes me wonder if Wilson Hill has this. I've read that they are not compatible with all online classes because of this :( And I had no idea about the digital pen! That's good info. Thank you!

No, there are no extra plugins required for their courses.  So, that should not be an issue.  

Here is the digital pen my son uses for the courses.  It was recommended by his first math instructor:  http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404844132&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+intuos

Based upon Paula's experience above, you may or may not need the pen depending on the specific courses/instructors.  There may also be workarounds for those who do not have one.  My son has used it in both Geometry an Algebra II while interacting with the teacher and fellow students during class.

Edited by dereksurfs

No, there are no extra plugins required for their courses.  So, that should not be an issue.  

Here is the digital pen my son uses for the courses.  It was recommended by his first math instructor:  http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404844132&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+intuos

Based upon Paula's experience above, you may or may not need the pen depending on the specific courses/instructors.  There may also be workarounds for those who do not have one.  My son has used it in both Geometry an Algebra II while interacting with the teacher and fellow students during class.

We are schooling math at home, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.  In her Latin class, when filling out charts on the whiteboard for the class, the students are able to use the keyboard to type them in.  This obviously wouldn't work for math, though.  They communicate through chat/webcam for literature.

• Like 1

We are schooling math at home, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.  In her Latin class, when filling out charts on the whiteboard for the class, the students are able to use the keyboard to type them in.  This obviously wouldn't work for math, though.  They communicate through chat/webcam for literature.

Oh yeah, ok, for the language arts it's probably totally unnecessary.  Whereas for math, writing equations and showing one's work is much easier with a pencil or digital pen than trying to type it out.  The OP didn't mentioned which type of course(s) she is considering.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If I remember correctly, it wouldn't have worked. I might be wrong though because we didn't end up getting it. I know it wouldn't have worked for either WHA or Virtual Homeschool Group. We ended up with a fairly cheap HP that has been great. It has a CD drive so she can watch her Saxon lessons, which was helpful also. It was an open box from Best Buy. I want to say it was normally around $220 and we got it for $180? Maybe? Anyway, after researching, my strong suggestion was to not go with the Chromebook because it simply doesn't work with everything. 

• Like 1

I can't speak for Wilson Hill, but I can tell you that Chromebooks and cell phones have issues with Adobe Connect and Blackboard Collaborate. I use both in my work.

It's hard to say who will have trouble and who won't. To the point that I always tell students that they need a full PC or Mac available. They might get by here-and-there, but it's iffy. Both Adobe and Blackboard are a bit in the dark ages IMHO, and they haven't made much effort toward compatibility. I have students who have come to class with the Adobe or Blackboard app on their cell phones, but it's far from reliable and isn't ideal.

A hard-wired DSL or cable internet link is best too. Satellite is very iffy. Wi-fi may or may not work. I've taught from the local college and from the library in the town where I grew up, and it was fine. But Starbucks and the local library here are poor. I once taught from my aunt's house, but I literally had to sit right next to the wi-fi. I taught at a friend's house over wi-fi in March, and I had to ask that NOBODY use it while I was teaching.

• Like 2