Menu

Please help a fellow boardie! *Update in post 47*

MercyA

Earlier today, I was reading Sparkly’s thread about phone solicitors. PinkyandtheBrains had replied to Sparkly’s post, and she mentioned in passing the difficult situation her family is in. In brief, her spouse has been out of full time employment for over a year and a half, they are losing their house, and they are caring for ill parents. So, they are going through some really hard times right now.

I know in the past, forum members have set up fundraisers for other boardies experiencing difficulties. I contacted Pinky to see if she might be open to us doing the same for her. She graciously gave me permission to post this. Just to be clear, she had nothing to do with the idea, and we have no connection in IRL. 

If you are able to help out her family, please PM me and I will provide you with her Paypal account information. You will be able to send funds directly to her. I also asked if she also might be open to receiving material donations for specific needs. If you’d rather contribute that way, that’s fine, too. Please PM me if you are interested and we can work out the details.

She mentioned that she has already received some help from some people on the board, and it has been a blessing for her. (I have no idea who you are, but let me just say—you rock!)

I’m hoping lots of you will be willing to help their family. Thanks in advance! 

UPDATE: A few people have asked about ages, sizes, and curriculum needs. I do have a list. Please PM me if you think you might be able to help with donations. Thanks!  :)
Edited by MercyA
  • Like 8

I thought we weren't allowed to do this kind of thing on here anymore? Maybe one of the moderators could pipe in.......

Whoops, if that's the case, I had no idea. I welcome input from the moderators. I assume that they can check my PM's and see that everything's been handled appropriately. 

I really appreciate all of you who have been supportive and who have offered help! Unless we hear otherwise, please keep those PM's coming. :thumbup1:  

• Like 1

Whoops, if that's the case, I had no idea. I welcome input from the moderators. I assume that they can check my PM's and see that everything's been handled appropriately. 

I really appreciate all of you who have been supportive and who have offered help! Unless we hear otherwise, please keep those PM's coming. :thumbup1:  

Just have this niggling memory in the back of my head about not doing things related to sending money to people but it's only a niggling........ hopefully, a moderator will notice the thread and clarify.

Just have this niggling memory in the back of my head about not doing things related to sending money to people but it's only a niggling........ hopefully, a moderator will notice the thread and clarify.

I think it is not a rule so much as a "be cautious, there are scammers out there" kind of thing.

I can vouch for Pinky, we've been friends for some time.

Giving this a bump for others :)

• Like 5

I think it is not a rule so much as a "be cautious, there are scammers out there" kind of thing.

If that's the case then we are good! I don't know Pinky personally, but have read her comments in different threads, it's not the first time I hear about her struggling :(. And Mercy? I don't know her IRL either, but how I'd love to!! Trying to help others is something she'd do :). Hope more people can pitch in!
  • Like 5

I believe the unofficial (I think) rule came about because a few people scammed boardies by asking for and receiving help that they didn't actually need.

I too can vouch for Pinky. While I've never met her in person I've known her for several years. Her situation is real. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

I wasn't questioning Pinky! Glad that you have the pleasure of knowing her......... I thought Susan Wise Bauer had at one point said we couldn't solicit money for people but I really don't remember for sure. The thread just made me think of that.......

• Like 1

I thought we weren't allowed to do this kind of thing on here anymore? Maybe one of the moderators could pipe in.......

I think it's okay as long as the actual info/transactions are kept to PM or other routes of communication.

• Like 4

I wasn't questioning Pinky! Glad that you have the pleasure of knowing her......... I thought Susan Wise Bauer had at one point said we couldn't solicit money for people but I really don't remember for sure. The thread just made me think of that.......

If you're questioning me, that's okay.  ;) I don't trust everybody, either, and that's probably a good thing.

I suppose all I can say is that I've been a member since 2012 and have plenty of positive feedback. I did offer to contact Pinky's forum friends if she preferred one of them to handle the PM's, but she was okay with me doing it. Anyone who is able to access my PM's (moderators?) is welcome to check up on me. 

If that's the case then we are good! I don't know Pinky personally, but have read her comments in different threads, it's not the first time I hear about her struggling :(. And Mercy? I don't know her IRL either, but how I'd love to!! Trying to help others is something she'd do :). Hope more people can pitch in!

Aww, thanks for the vote of confidence, mami.  :blushing: I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

If you're questioning me, that's okay.  ;) I don't trust everybody, either, and that's probably a good thing.

I suppose all I can say is that I've been a member since 2012 and have plenty of positive feedback. I did offer to contact Pinky's forum friends if she preferred one of them to handle the PM's, but she was okay with me doing it. Anyone who is able to access my PM's (moderators?) is welcome to check up on me. 

No, no, not questioning your integrity...... gah, I was just wondering about the policy, didn't want anyone to have any problems if it wasn't okay to do this..... so sorry you thought I was questioning you or anyone individually, I know you've been around a while, and are a woman of integrity!

• Like 2

No, no, not questioning your integrity...... gah, I was just wondering about the policy, didn't want anyone to have any problems if it wasn't okay to do this..... so sorry you thought I was questioning you or anyone individually, I know you've been around a while, and are a woman of integrity!

I was just about to post something about this (about you not questioning anyone, but just remembering the policy). It saddens me to think people would take advantage of others and ask help when not really needed, but unfortunately I am sure it happens. Maybe there is a policy about it? I don't know, I haven't been around that long. I can tell you were just remembering something regarding this type of situations, that's all :)
  • Like 2

No worries, it's totally okay. Thanks for your kind words!

The last thing I remember about something similar was someone asking if anyone was running the "Boardies Helping Boardies" program again this past Christmas season. My impression was that it wasn't against the rules, but nobody volunteered to take it on. I could be wrong, though. It wouldn't be the first time.  ;)

Pinky has learned that she and her family will need to move in the next 30-45 days. :( Honestly, I can't imagine the stress they must be experiencing.

Thank you so much to all who have donated to help their family. I love our WTM community! Please keep the PM's coming.

• Like 3

Bumping, because I've had some people mention to me that they could no longer find this thread and wanted to help.

I'm another that will vouch for Pinky.  Unfortunately, every word is true, and then some.  My heart is breaking for her and for her amazing family.  

• Like 6

:grouphug:  I just wanted to say I am so glad Pinky shared her need and is giving us an opportunity to come alongside of her and her family.

Is there someone in Pinky's area that could help network to find a new place or offer any practical help?

Mercy has Pinky's physical location. PM her if you think you may be nearby.

• Like 2

I believe the unofficial (I think) rule came about because a few people scammed boardies by asking for and receiving help that they didn't actually need.

I too can vouch for Pinky. While I've never met her in person I've known her for several years. Her situation is real. 

I will also vouch for Pinky.  She is real and legit and a most wonderful person.  It's been a rough patch for her, but she never fails to be caring of others. 

• Like 7

Pinky let me know that she was able to buy her kids new shoes thanks to the people who sent Paypal donations. She's also received some math books, printer paper, and gift cards. 

Thanks so much to all of you!  :thumbup1: 

If you'd like to see the list of things her family needs or would like her Paypal account info, send me a PM! 

• Like 9

I also wanted to vouch for Pinky. I do know her irl and she's an amazing and strong woman. What she is going through is definitely real and she has done everything in her power to make the most of this horrible situation. It really has been a "when it rains, it pours" thing. But through all this she has been an amazing mom and wife. She and her family will get though this but every little bit helps. Unfortunately, there are very few safety nets in the state we reside.

• Like 9

Just received a new update from Pinky: "Signing lease today. We will have a place for a year. Then need to move again. Hooray for not being homeless!! We will have an extremely short move in window. The property will be available two days before we have to turn house keys over."

I'm so thankful they have a place to go, but talk about stressful! Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

In other news, one of our wonderful boardies is sending some clothes for the kids.  :)  Others have sent Paypal donations and Amazon gift cards.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Now for some good news: Pinky and her sons also just returned from a much-needed break.  :thumbup1:

She says, "The trip we took was with our county diversity project. They invited my boys and I along because we are helping them on a community mural project. We went back trail mountain hiking, went mountain horseback riding, did ropes challenge courses and went white water rafting. It was all paid for, and they even gave my boys some cash to buy a t-shirt or souvenir. White water rafting is much more fun than packing.   :) "

Thanks so much to all who have helped and continue to help their family.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Pinky and her family are moved into their new place and are busy unpacking. They could still use some help as her husband looks for a job in their new area. Please PM me for their updated list of needs if you think you might be able to help.

Thank you so much to those of you who have already helped with gifts and encouragement! I love our WTM family.

• Like 1