Menu

Choosing between Big Book of Lively Latin and Latin for Children

Freya

I'm hoping for some help choosing between the Big Book of Lively Latin and Latin for Children. If you have used either, what did/didn't you like about them? I'd be starting with a 10 year old -- would that be too old for these programs? She really doesn't want to do Latin, but has a agreed to give it a shot and I don't want to dive into an intense program that is intended for older kids, as that is likely to be a disaster.

My main goal in studying Latin is to improve vocabulary by understanding root words. Secondly, I hope to see an improvement in grammar.

Edited by Freya

I have experience with Lively Latin BB1, but not LfC. Lively Latin is not below a 10 year old, especially if they have no prior experience with Latin. Lively Latin has different types of activities - Lessons, Exercises, History, Vocabulary, and Word Power. Lessons is just that, a lesson in grammar and preparatory to doing the Exercises. Exercises include fill in the blank, matching, word search, picture identification (or drawing), and a short translations to Latin and from Latin. History is mostly selections from Famous Men of Rome, with lovely reproductions of fine art (sometimes with picture study), and sometimes follow up questions. Vocabulary is just that, vocab list (and conjugation or declension chants) to practice. There is a list for about every 3 out of 4 lessons. Word Power is focused on derivatives and modern English vocabulary building. The lessons in BB1 should take a year or more to complete.

The online lessons (videos of the magistrate going over the lessons, recordings of the vocabulary being pronounced/chants done correctly, vocab quizzes) can be very helpful if your student prefers teacher to deliver the lesson.

I think the grammar in LL is good, but not as rigorous as done in some. My estimation after browsing LfC is that it is stronger in grammar, or at least more focused on grammar.

Lively Latin is engaging and not intimidating.

Another thing to consider would be Getting Started with Latin.

• Like 1

I did Big Book of Lively Latin with my 10 year old this year.  The level was good for him and I plan to use it with my second son next year.  The review by the previous poster is very good.  I agree with everything she wrote. 

We chose BBoLL because my son had zero interest in Latin, but I was insisting upon it.  He had a very good year with the program and almost never complained.  We will finish up BBoLL next year and then most likely move onto book 2.

I've used LFC successfully with that age. It was my first Latin book too. We did it as a family and had a great time. The program isn't babyish in the slightest. The youngest part was the extra silly clips after some of the lessons on the DVD. They're easily skipped if yours doesn't like them, but my kids thought they were funny.

LFC absolutely helped our vocab. Between that and classical literature our vocab program became soo redundant. It was overkill. We haven't done a vocab program since.

If you need extra drill to help remember the vocab check out Headventureland.com. The games are correlated to the lessons.

my oldest started using lively latin last year. we're kind of lazy, so she's still working though it, but enjoying it and really starting to put things together. She recently was able to figure out the meaning of a random word by recognizing the root words and remembering their meanings. We also play rummy roots for a fun supplement.