Menu

Looking for the Best Online Pre-Algebra Course for a 7th Grader

It's possible that my rising 7th grader will be home next year. He is somewhat math-anxious and dislikes the subject even though he is quite capable and even a bit advanced academically in math.

I'm looking for suggestions/experiences with online pre-algebra courses. There are a lot of them out there but it's hard to tell from descriptions which ones actually are engaging and apt to intrigue a kid who generally does not like math and who lacks math confidence. So, any experienced advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

Next year for Geometry we are using Tablet Class. I can't really say anything about it because we haven't used it yet, but I will say that you can watch all John Zimmerman's pre-algebra videos on this website to get a feel for whether your son would like this instruction. The full course at Tablet Class has more than just videos.

We completed about half of Tablet Class pre-algebra before I just switched to other things entirely. My DD really didn't like the format at all. But, she's a social learner and really didn't like just watching videos and plugging along on her own. She didn't find it very engaging. I felt like in some cases there either wasn't enough practice (and DD isn't one who needs a lot of practice unless she gets stuck on something) or it didn't go deeply enough in the explanations. So, I was always pulling things in to supplement anyway. I personally wouldn't recommend Tablet Class based on our experiences.

I have looked at many others but have no direct experience with anything else.

http://myhomeschoolmathclass.com/index.html

Jann is a former homeschool mom and a member of these boards.  My ds15 has taken algebra and geometry from her online.  She provides a lot of support and extra tutoring free of charge, as needed.  She is engaging.  My son is a middle of the road student, and her style, explanations and materials work very well for him.  She is invested in her students' success.  I plan on using her online classes with my little dd when the time comes.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I checked out the myhomeschoolmathclass website and it looks like the class my son would take is already full (with a waitlist). I may email her to get on the waitlist but I probably shouldn't count on enrollment in that class.

Any other experiences, thoughts, etc.?

Wilson Hill has a solid math sequence, pre-algebra - calc, and excellent math teachers. So far, my students have done algebra I, geometry, and algebra II there with Leslie Smith and Anne Stublen, and they will be continuing next year. We've all been very happy with it.

I like the fact that WHA uses the Dolciani sequence and that it provides a continuous path from pre-algebra through calc. I don't want to have to look for a new math provider every year, and I don't want to have to jump around between math publishers. I also like the fact that we've had consistently good teachers there.

• Like 1

We've used and really liked Wilson Hill Academy for higher level courses - Geometry and Algebra II.  It is probably ds' favorite.  He used TabletClass for Pre-Algebra and really liked it also.  However, it is more advanced than most Pre-A programs requiring more of the students early on.  Like most things, each curriculum/vendor will not be a good fit for every student.  IMO, math is probably the one subject requiring the most tailoring.  Each child's learning style and innate ability to problem solve as well as their mental maturity and associated willingness to wrestle with difficult problems are so very different.  That's also why some rave about AoPS while for others its a total flop!  I would say TabletClass prepared ds well for AoPS intro to Algebra which was probably his most challenging course in terms of curriculum.  He would spend over an hour at times working on a single problem which is par for the course in AoPS.

For our middle dd who struggles more with math, we will be using Derek Owens Pre-A next year which looks like that 'just right fit' for her.

If your son is capable to advanced as you've described, I would consider WHA, DO and TC online classes.  DO and TC have online demo lessons you can check out first.  You really need to tailor it to his learning style, especially if he is apprehensive.  So, I would recommend allowing him to listen to the instructors when and where available.  Involve him in the selection process to gauge best fit.  How does he do keeping up with the pace of a normal math course?  WHA wins for its live interactive component.  However, our middle dd may not be able to follow at their pace.  So DO is a good choice in her case since its asynchronous as is TC (but more intense).

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

We've used and really liked Wilson Hill Academy for higher level courses - Geometry and Algebra II.  It is probably ds' favorite.  He used TabletClass for Pre-Algebra and really liked it also.  However, it is more advanced than most Pre-A programs requiring more of the students early on.  Like most things, each curriculum/vendor will not be a good fit for every student.  IMO, math is probably the one subject requiring the most tailoring.  Each child's learning style and innate ability to problem solve as well as their mental maturity and associated willingness to wrestle with difficult problems are so very different.  That's also why some rave about AoPS while for others its a total flop!  I would say TabletClass prepared ds well for AoPS intro to Algebra which was probably his most challenging course in terms of curriculum.  He would spend over an hour at times working on a single problem which is par for the course in AoPS.

For our middle dd who struggles more with math, we will be using Derek Owens Pre-A next year which looks like that 'just right fit' for her.

If your son is capable to advanced as you've described, I would consider WHA, DO and TC online classes.  DO and TC have online demo lessons you can check out first.  You really need to tailor it to his learning style, especially if he is apprehensive.  So, I would recommend allowing him to listen to the instructors when and where available.  Involve him in the selection process to gauge best fit.  How does he do keeping up with the pace a normal math course?  WHA wins for its live interactive component.  However, our middle dd may not be able to follow at their pace.  So DO is a good choice in her case since its asynchronous as is TC (but more intense).

Not the OP, but we may need to outsource PreAlg in 7th and these evaluations are very helpful. Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input! My DS is capable but math phobic so something like Saxon Pre-A (spiral) would be a better fit than a curriculum that is more flexible. He also needs a live component for accountability so that rules out a lot of (totally) asynchronous options.

I am actually looking at Veritas Press online Pre-A (Saxon). Has anybody done that one (or something similar with VP)?

My son is signed up for a pre-algebra course at a Well Trained Mind Academy.

Its interesting that they offer both a Saxon and AoPS/Singapore option.  The later sounds much more interesting to me.  However, like most courses, it may not be a good fit for every student.  Of the two, that one definitely sounds more intense/rigorous.  I have no idea how they go through AoPS and Singapore in a single school year!

• 4 weeks later...

My kids really liked Mr D Math PreAlgebra this year. We did the canned videos to work at our own pace, but they have live classes as well. He explains concepts very well in his videos and he appealed to my boys. Though dd liked him too. He tries to make kids successful (tests have retakes etc). So good for confidence as well.

My kids are going with the canned algebra videos this fall.