Menu

Latin Alive after LfC B?

profmom

I've read that it's possible and even suggested sometimes for the right student, but my little man and I would not recommend it. He has completed SSL 1, Latin for Children A-C, and we're currently working our way through LA 1. Latin Alive 1 assumes you know and requires a lot more than LfC C, and at a faster rate. I would not advise skipping LfC C. The chants, vocabulary, etc. from LfC A-C have been a huge help to us in LA 1.

Fwiw, read my comments in this recent 8th grade planning thread (post #51) and then the poster's response (#61). http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/585969-2016-2017-8th-grade-planning/page-2

Edited by NCAmusings
  • Like 2

My daughter completed LfC A&B in 4th & 5th grade. We tried to go to Latin Alive 1, but it was sooooo tedious. There was just too much overlap with LfC A&B, at least at the beginning. I wish I had just tested her through LA 1 until we hit new material, but I'd signed her up for an online course. We've done a lot of online courses, and that was the only one we've ever dropped.

I ended up letting Latin go for that year (6th grade) and then putting her in Lukeion's Latin 1 (Wheelock's first half) in 7th grade. It was a completely seamless transition! So, in the end I was glad we hadn't slogged through LA 1.

YMMV

ETA: My sons did the same thing.... LfC A&B in 4th and 5th. They started to audit a LfC C class in 6th, but dropped it after the first semester because auditing a live class wasn't working for them. (I guess we've dropped two classes.) They didn't do any Latin second semester of 6th. In 7th, they went right into a Latin 1/Wheelock's course. It was a seamless transition for them, too.

ETA: Latin Alive is not necessarily a dull text. It's just that LfC A&B prepared us really well and LA 1 started from the beginning again.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

How different CMama and Yvonne's experiences were! So very dependent on the particular kids, isn't it?

Exactly what I was thinking!  Thanks for your input!

We have three kids in our group who will complete LfC B this year for 5th, and we're trying to decide what to do with them for 6th.  Our options are:  to have them join the rest of their age-mates who are just finishing LfC A (so, repeat LfC B); find another teacher so they can continue on to LfC C; or possibly skip LfC C and go to Latin Alive 1.  

I also wonder if all the kids, regardless of Latin background (all would have had at least LfC A) could go into Latin Alive for 6th.

Any thoughts??

We have three kids in our group who will complete LfC B this year for 5th, and we're trying to decide what to do with them for 6th.  Our options are:  to have them join the rest of their age-mates who are just finishing LfC A (so, repeat LfC B); find another teacher so they can continue on to LfC C; or possibly skip LfC C and go to Latin Alive 1.  

I also wonder if all the kids, regardless of Latin background (all would have had at least LfC A) could go into Latin Alive for 6th.

Any thoughts??

Well, I definitely wouldn't have them repeat B. That'd kill any motivation to learn Latin in my kids.

My kid would just be put in LA. It does expect more maturity, but it's also more interesting and doesn't hold your hand quite so much. I wouldn't be worried about grammar in the slightest; mine would have completed at least R&S 5 by then. I guess you'd need to look at the overall median level of the group. FWIW, DS/7th and DD/5th/6th would be in LA this year, but we've switched to Spanish as a family after years of Latin with CAP's materials. We just weren't ready to handle both languages at this point.

You will need to plan on adding some form of vocab review for LA. It doesn't have the sing-songy chants of LFC, but it does have a review game on Headventureland.com. My LA user preferred flashcards and made her own on a deck of index cards on a binder ring. (She still uses flashcards in high school; now she uses Quizlet.)

eta: I do think an average 6th grader could start with LA, assuming modifications are made for vocab review and slowing the course down if needed.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

Any thoughts??

I agree with the pps about not repeating LfC B. Maybe, if a student just barely skimmed along, barely getting through B, it might make sense, but for diligent students who successfully mastered the material, it would be a lost year that could otherwise have been used to make significant forward progress.

I would figure out the co-op's end goal for Latin and work backward from there. If there are students who want to, or who you think might eventually want to, pursue Latin through AP, and if you'd like to accomplish that by x year of high school, I'd figure out an efficient path now. Does the co-op plan to use LA through AP?  If so, move all the 5th or 6th graders to LA 1 now. LA1 starts at the very beginning, just as LfC A does. I can't imagine that a typical 6th grader, with no prior Latin background at all, would have any problem at all starting Latin Alive 1.

If you wanted a different track for students who were younger, or who weren't as interested in Latin, or who were not as diligent, LfC A-C might be enough for them. LfC is a very good program. I didn't realize how solid until I saw how well just the first two years fed into Wheelock's. So, just completing LfC A-C would provide a good Latin foundation, I think.

And, of course, a huge factor in deciding what to use is the level of the Latin teacher. Someone who is learning Latin along with the students is going to want/need different things than someone who already knows where they're going and how all these early pieces fit into the later, more advanced picture. An experienced Latin teacher can "teach ahead," making the early years more robust and preparing students better for the later years. It can be hard to find those folks, though.

YMMV, esp. depending on goals of the students, work ethic of the students, ability & experience of the teacher, grammar foundation that the students bring to the study of Latin, and lots of other variables!

• Like 1

Any thoughts??

My oldest two have gone straight into Latin Alive in 6th grade. Their only previous Latin was a few months working through Getting Started with Latin.