Menu

Is anyone interested in a Twin Cities meet-up?

J-rap

The Pennsylvania one got me thinking about this.  I don't live in the TC (about 2.5 hours away), but I'd certainly be willing to drive there!  Might be a good central point for some, including Wisconsinites and maybe even Iowans.  

Just kind of brainstorming at this point.   :)

Edited by J-rap

Oh gosh, it would be super fun to meet your kids!   :)

At the very least it's entertaining.........

So what are we thinking?  Like state park?  City park?

I'm hoping for somewhere semi-contained but not inside.  My DD5 is......  a "challenge" to keep an eye on, lol.  

During the week or weekend?  What works better for folks?

I have a preference of outdoors with play equipment where kiddos can be kept an eye on?  Picnic?

I also prefer week day to weekend - generally more available then but I won't have DH or the two oldest. 

• Like 1

Not sure what direction everyone is coming from, but the "Chutes and Ladders" playground at Hyland Park Reserve in Bloomington is a super large play area, but fenced in in such a way that there is only one way in and out of the whole play area. However at any one moment you might not be able to see where your kid is. You'll just know they must be there somewhere. ;-)

Sometimes it is fairly busy, but probably less so if we did it later this month or early June before school let out.

• Like 1

At the very least it's entertaining.........

So what are we thinking?  Like state park?  City park?

I'm hoping for somewhere semi-contained but not inside.  My DD5 is......  a "challenge" to keep an eye on, lol.  

During the week or weekend?  What works better for folks?

I have a preference of outdoors with play equipment where kiddos can be kept an eye on?  Picnic?

I also prefer week day to weekend - generally more available then but I won't have DH or the two oldest. 

My preference is somewhere outdoors too.  Picnic-type venue, with an area for kids.  I will not have kids there myself (my youngest and oldest and nearly everyone in-between are in college :)).  

Weekdays work for me, or weekends.  It might be tricky for me to get it in in May though.  June and beyond would probably work out better, personally.  I don't currently live in the Twin Cities though, so I'm open to others' ideas, especially those with children who might have favorite places!  We can maybe find a couple places and see what works out for those coming from longer distances??

Not sure what direction everyone is coming from, but the "Chutes and Ladders" playground at Hyland Park Reserve in Bloomington is a super large play area, but fenced in in such a way that there is only one way in and out of the whole play area. However at any one moment you might not be able to see where your kid is. You'll just know they must be there somewhere. ;-)

Sometimes it is fairly busy, but probably less so if we did it later this month or early June before school let out.

I remember going there once when my kids were young.  :)  Super fun place!  

Perhaps others with young children can chime in with suggestions as well.  I'm pretty open to the venue since I won't have young children with me.

I'm in! I realize this won't work for most people, but the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum apparently has free entry tomorrow (normally $13). We're going if I can confirm it. I've got to dash but when I get back I'll check into it. 

That would be super fun to go to!  I love the Arboretum and haven't been there in years.  It won't work out for me to go (since I'm 2.5 hours away and need to plan more in advance), but others can certainly feel free to join!

So we did the arboretum on Friday - if you haven't, you should go. It was amazing. Definitely worth the drive if you're coming from a ways off and like to be outside. Acres and acres of lawns and trees to run and play in, a maze, a sculpture garden, a cafe.. My kids LOVED it. 

Is anyone taking charge and planning a meet-up? 

• Like 1

So we did the arboretum on Friday - if you haven't, you should go. It was amazing. Definitely worth the drive if you're coming from a ways off and like to be outside. Acres and acres of lawns and trees to run and play in, a maze, a sculpture garden, a cafe.. My kids LOVED it.

We went last year when they had the Lego sculptures and that was so cool. I thought about going on Friday, but I was worried that the boys wouldn't enjoy it as much without the Lego sculptures and that with the hot day they would complain a lot...lol.

I was deferring to J-Rap since she started the thread, but I would be willing to organize or help organize as well. Maybe a weekday in early June? Most school are still in session the first week in June so hopefully whatever place we pick won't be too over crowded.

• Like 1

I'm glad you got to go!  For anyone interested, there is currently a discount offered to the Arboretum through Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/minnesota-landscape-arboretum-2

We went last year when they had the Lego sculptures and that was so cool. I thought about going on Friday, but I was worried that the boys wouldn't enjoy it as much without the Lego sculptures and that with the hot day they would complain a lot...lol.

I was deferring to J-Rap since she started the thread, but I would be willing to organize or help organize as well. Maybe a weekday in early June? Most school are still in session the first week in June so hopefully whatever place we pick won't be too over crowded.

Oops, I kind of dropped the ball on this due to visitors and needing to think through my schedule.  Sorry!

Early June may not work for me, since my dd is just returning from a year in France and will probably be home for just those first 10 days or so of June.  (I live 2.5 hours away from the TC, so it would be an all-day outing for me.)

But, I can see how for all of you with young children -- which is I think all of you who have responded so far, that would be a great idea to meet before ps ends!  So, I think you should just plan it for early June.  Then if I can swing it, I'll join (maybe I can talk my dd into coming along, who knows!).  If I end up not going but it becomes an annual event :), I'll definitely try for next year!

We could plan for the fall - after school starts?  I definitely cannot make a meeting where kiddos are out of eyesight.... Too many short people under the age of 8 in our house and too few big kids as my oldest couple have  classes, work ,etc.  So I have a preference of a park where kiddos will be within eyesight!  *However* if Chutes and Ladders works well for everyone else, plan it!  We can do an Iowa get together later, lol!

• Like 1

We could plan for the fall - after school starts?  I definitely cannot make a meeting where kiddos are out of eyesight.... Too many short people under the age of 8 in our house and too few big kids as my oldest couple have  classes, work ,etc.  So I have a preference of a park where kiddos will be within eyesight!  *However* if Chutes and Ladders works well for everyone else, plan it!  We can do an Iowa get together later, lol!

Early fall sounds good to me, but to those who would like to try an early June meet-up, please feel free to plan!

• 1 year later...

Hello, and thanks for getting back to this!  We've been on the road a lot and this has slipped from my mind.  (And it never happened, as far as I know!)  If someone else would like to plan this, I think that would be wonderful, and I'd come if possible.  My homeschoolers have all graduated so I don't think this should center around my schedule, but I'd love to meet some of you if the timing happens to work for me!  Now is probably a good time to begin planning a late spring/summer event?