Menu

Meet In Person! UPDATE: PIX. In South-Central PA

Garga

9 members have voted

1. 1. Closed--the date has been picked.

And here's the link to the picture, since I can't figure out how to put pictures in posts:

https://dustylizard.wordpress.com/2016/07/20/wtm-meetup-yet-again/

**Updated to show our final plans below.**
If you live anywhere near south/central PA (somewhat near Gettsyburg), let's meet in person. We've done this twice before and both times it was a nice low-key get-together that felt like it ended too soon.

WHEN:
Tuesday July 19th from noon to three.

WHERE:
Bethel Assembly of God
1125 Frederick Pike, Littlestown PA 17340

Use the door that has a ramp leading to it. That's the door to the gym. If you open a door into an atrium or into a long hallway, then those are the wrong doors. Try again. The door we're behind leads directly into the large gym.

Church office phone if you get lost and need to call someone for directions: (717) 359-4675

The church has a gym, kitchen, and children's play area with ball pit and slide and tunnels to crawl through.There is more than enough room for the kids to run in the gym, plus the church lets us play with the sports equipment (hula hoops, balls, scooter things, etc.)

This is NOT a religious event.

FOOD:
You can bring your own lunch to eat, no lunch to eat, or some food to share. It's up to you.

UPDATE: A little favor, if you're willing. I'll be starting to teach high school next year. If it's an easy thing, I would love to see real copies of transcripts, course descriptions, a syllabus (if you made one), and knowledge on how you "grade." Like, did you map out ahead of time if grades were made up of test scores or papers written or what? I'd love to hear what anyone who has btdt has to say about it.

If you can, will you bring those things for me to see in person? If it's easy.

Edited by Garga_
  • Like 3

I could potentially do any of them, although as you know, Tuesday or Thursday is always my preference, because we can come after karate, but of course, not all summer weeks have daytime karate.

Of those weeks, the 25-29 is my least preferred because there's no daytime karate, and we don't have anyone doing that camp. The easiest week would be the 18-22, but I might be able to make the others work, depending on the day.

• Like 1

Ooh, I might actually be in the area. Well, not really, but close enough. 

Close enough counts.  We've had people come from DE, VA, MD, and PA.  Would absolutely love anyone who can come.

I'm open to any place, but the church sure has advantages for the kids - and it's free.  This is NOT a religious event - just saying - in case anyone wonders due to the location.  We gather and talk (oodles of topics) IRL enjoying meeting each other and eating.  It's really neat putting people behind screen names.  It gives their posts far more "something" (not sure how to word that) afterward.  A good, more meaningful something.

• Like 2

Garga, can you make the poll multiple choice for those of us who can meet (equally) on more than one week?  It'd leave more options open for those who have favorites due to their schedules.

I fixed it.

• Like 1

We gather and talk (oodles of topics) IRL enjoying meeting each other and eating.  It's really neat putting people behind screen names.  It gives their posts far more "something" (not sure how to word that) afterward.  A good, more meaningful something.

For sure!  I remember a thread a while ago and some people seemed to be interpreting your responses as a bit emotional.  I was thinking, "HA!  If they knew Creekland, they'd know how very calm she is and she's not the slightest bit upset."  You're so very practical and down to earth.

I've been friends with Happypamama for a while now and sometimes I don't see her name when I read a post (I've scrolled past the avatar) and I'll think, "That sound like something Happy would say..." and I look and sure enough, it's her. 

It's so much fun to see how someone's personality comes shining through in their posts after you meet them in person.

• Like 4

For sure!  I remember a thread a while ago and some people seemed to be interpreting your responses as a bit emotional.  I was thinking, "HA!  If they knew Creekland, they'd know how very calm she is and she's not the slightest bit upset."  You're so very practical and down to earth.

It can be tough to get the correct tone in my posts sometimes, esp with humor.  I try, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

There's very, very little that upsets me most of the time.  Snakes can do it - especially coming upon them unexpectedly.  Lack of tolerance from people can also do it.  Anyone openly racist?  Stay home!  ;)

Medical stuff can too, but I'm trying my darndest to fix that personality flaw of mine.  The funny thing is it's not actually procedures that mess with my brain.  Most people despise those.  I'm ok with those - BP was/is quite normal then (surprising many) - blood draws, MRIs, even minor surgery, etc.  My brain gets whacked out with appts and having to discuss things with others - esp trying to convince them of issues they can't see.  If I could skip that part I'd be fine.

For sure! I remember a thread a while ago and some people seemed to be interpreting your responses as a bit emotional. I was thinking, "HA! If they knew Creekland, they'd know how very calm she is and she's not the slightest bit upset." You're so very practical and down to earth.

I've been friends with Happypamama for a while now and sometimes I don't see her name when I read a post (I've scrolled past the avatar) and I'll think, "That sound like something Happy would say..." and I look and sure enough, it's her.

It's so much fun to see how someone's personality comes shining through in their posts after you meet them in person.

LOL, I do the same thing to your posts, Garga! Our "voices" speak through our words so much!

• Like 1

Bumping.  I'll bump this every day or so to ensure that the most people possible see it. If you're reading this far, we're still gathering information to nail down an exact date. 

Compiling what's been posted so far, the dates are starting to shape up as one of these four:

Tues 7/12, Thurs 7/14, Tues 7/19, or Thurs 7/21, with an emphasis on 7/19 or 7/21.

But that's not in stone.  That's based on only 3 people's responses. Give me your feedback and we'll adjust as necessary.

(I really need to create a chart.  Any other INTJs out there who think I should make a chart?  Yes...a chart is in order...)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

We have company until July 14th so I vote later.

And assuming the church is air conditioned, I am happy to escape our lack of a/c in our house. Of course, seeing everyone again would be the real bonus.

Yes, there is a/c. 

Can I drive in from MA? Tuesdays are also best for me; July 19 is best.

I'd love to meet you if you can make it!  

Also... updating for myself... July 21st is probably not going to work due to just paying a huge sum (for budget travel minded me) to treat our (working for the summer) sons and a friend on a fun vacation weekend starting the 22nd.  (That weekend worked out the best cost and availability-wise.)

I know I now really appreciate having been able to travel off season and during the week.  It sure helps that hubby owns his business and I'm part time writing my own schedule, and of course, homeschooling.  This "must work normal hours" deal sure affects the budget.

All other dates still work, including the 19th.  And if it had to happen, I could possibly still make the 21st since it's a Thursday.  It'd mainly affect packing and setting up the farm for our absence, but it's just a weekend, not a long trip, so shouldn't take too long.

• Like 1

I could potentially do any of them, although as you know, Tuesday or Thursday is always my preference, because we can come after karate, but of course, not all summer weeks have daytime karate.

Of those weeks, the 25-29 is my least preferred because there's no daytime karate, and we don't have anyone doing that camp. The easiest week would be the 18-22, but I might be able to make the others work, depending on the day.

any of those weeks are good for me depending on the day.

My sister will be visiting from AL starting at the end of June with no set end date so I won't know for sure until she finalizes plans. But my guess is the 19th or 21st will work for me.

We have company until July 14th so I vote later.

And assuming the church is air conditioned, I am happy to escape our lack of a/c in our house. Of course, seeing everyone again would be the real bonus.

:party:

I'd prefer July 12, July 19, or July 21!

I'd love to meet you if you can make it!  

Also... updating for myself... July 21st is probably not going to work due to just paying a huge sum (for budget travel minded me) to treat our (working for the summer) sons and a friend on a fun vacation weekend starting the 22nd.  (That weekend worked out the best cost and availability-wise.)

I know I now really appreciate having been able to travel off season and during the week.  It sure helps that hubby owns his business and I'm part time writing my own schedule, and of course, homeschooling.  This "must work normal hours" deal sure affects the budget.

All other dates still work, including the 19th.  And if it had to happen, I could possibly still make the 21st since it's a Thursday.  It'd mainly affect packing and setting up the farm for our absence, but it's just a weekend, not a long trip, so shouldn't take too long.

We may be able to make it, the 18-22 works best, we've got various summer camps all around that week.

ETA:  Based on all the responses so far, everyone can meet on Tuesday July 19th.  That's pretty amazing that everyone can agree on a date.  I'm quitting while we're ahead and since we have to pick a date eventually, let's go with Tuesday July 19th. 

Does that sound like a good idea?

• Like 6

Ooh, I might actually be in the area. Well, not really, but close enough. 

Can I drive in from MA? Tuesdays are also best for me; July 19 is best.

We may be able to make it, the 18-22 works best, we've got various summer camps all around that week.

It would be so nice if you guys could make it to this one, since you weren't at the other two we've had.  If you've been following the other threads about Myer's Briggs personality types and homeschooling, then you'll know that most of us hivers are introverted.  So, if you're introverted, then you're in good company, and we won't overwhelm you.  :)

And if you're extroverted, then you'll have fun just being around a group of people.  Win-win!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who can should come! :D

'Tis fun meeting folks - and seeing how close our mental image of them from their posts and screen name matches reality (or not!).

Of course, we end up finding out that we're all relatively normal...  in a WTM sort of way.  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

*pout* we have our summer schedule set up and now we won't be able to make it. We ended up with a science class and swim lessons that week. With family visiting all month, there wasnt much flexibility.

:(. We had so much fun last time.

Edited by xixstar

*pout* we have our summer schedule set up and now we won't be able to make it. We ended up with a science class and swim lessons that week. With family visiting all month, there wasnt much flexibility.

Oh no! I was looking forward to seeing you again! I enjoyed your company.

• Like 1

oh no... what a bummer.  We'll miss you.

• Like 1

:sad: Bummer... but I understand.  Perhaps next time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bump this thread every 2 weeks to be sure everyone who is interested gets a chance to see it.

Also, I added this update to the inital post:

UPDATE:  A little favor, if you're willing.  I'll be starting to teach high school next year.  If it's an easy thing, I would love to see real copies of transcripts, course descriptions, a syllabus (if you made one), and knowledge on how you "grade."  Like, did you map out ahead of time if grades were made up of test scores or papers written or what?  I'd love to hear what anyone who has btdt has to say about it. 

If you can, will you bring those things for me to see in person?  If it's easy.

Edited by Garga

I bump this thread every 2 weeks to be sure everyone who is interested gets a chance to see it.

Also, I added this update to the inital post:

UPDATE:  A little favor, if you're willing.  I'll be starting to teach high school next year.  If it's an easy thing, I would love to see real copies of transcripts, course descriptions, a syllabus (if you made one), and knowledge on how you "grade."  Like, did you map out ahead of time if grades were made up of test scores or papers written or what?  I'd love to hear what anyone who has btdt has to say about it. 

If you can, will you bring those things for me to see in person?  If it's easy.

Garga, did you keep the copies of middle son's stuff from that meet up in Hanover?  If not, I might be able to get hubby to pull them back up again.  I suspect he kept them somewhere in archives (no promises though).  It's been four years so our experiences certainly aren't recent any longer.

• Like 1

Garga, did you keep the copies of middle son's stuff from that meet up in Hanover?  If not, I might be able to get hubby to pull them back up again.  I suspect he kept them somewhere in archives (no promises though).  It's been four years so our experiences certainly aren't recent any longer.

I forgot about that! I'll have to look for the papers. It doesn't sound like it will be easy for you to get, so don't put yourself out. I'll look around here for those papers. It was a year ago and I probably stuffed them into the Homeschool Bookcase.

Well, I'm not going to be able to make it I think.  I have 2 appts. set up and one is down in DC at 11pm.  I don't think there's much way I can get up to PA in a reasonable amount of time.   drat and double drat.

Oh no! It's a 2 hour drive from DC to here so it doesn't sound physically possible to get here unless you drive all that way for a very short visit with us. :(

I think I'll be able to make it.

I hope you can. It's nice to be able to put names to faces.

• Like 2

Garga, I might still have it.  Let me check.  I thought I saved everything from that evening, so I should have a couple of samples, at least Creekland'sMiddleSon's and one other.

• Like 1

Garga, I might still have it.  Let me check.  I thought I saved everything from that evening, so I should have a couple of samples, at least Creekland'sMiddleSon's and one other.

Let me know one way or the other.  I don't mind having hubby check as I doubt it will take him long to do so.

Not today though.  Middle son is home for a quick visit (plus brought a couple of friends).  They're walking down to the creek right now (so I'm on here - not with them due to it being a super crappy health issue day  :glare: ).  But they leave on Monday and there are plenty of other days prior to the meet up, so checking is entirely possible if needed.

• Like 2

Let me know one way or the other.  I don't mind having hubby check as I doubt it will take him long to do so.

Not today though.  Middle son is home for a quick visit (plus brought a couple of friends).  They're walking down to the creek right now (so I'm on here - not with them due to it being a super crappy health issue day  :glare: ).  But they leave on Monday and there are plenty of other days prior to the meet up, so checking is entirely possible if needed.

Boo -- sorry you are not feeling well!

Boo -- sorry you are not feeling well!

Hopefully today will be better.  It's tough to imagine getting worse.

It's the same cwap that's been going on that's supposed to be all in my mind.   :cursing:  Apparently some days my mind makes it up and other days it doesn't find it such a priority.   :lol:

I'm doctor-free now, for better or worse.  I'm not pleased about it, but when the doctors won't do anything besides prescribing addictive meds, we need to part ways.  (I'd get the med "plan" if everything that could be investigated had been, but it hasn't.  There's still one major category that often causes one of my symptoms that they refuse to let me check into.  I honestly have no idea why other than maybe a power struggle.)

As long as the better days keep coming in between the cwap days I'll survive.  When that doesn't happen, so be it.  The bad days are not worth living through, so when they're continual, something has to change.

Now on bad days my mind wanders into traveling to better (medical) areas, but I'm not really convinced there's a difference anymore.  What I need is a place where I can pay for my own requested medical tests and not involve any doctors.  If the tests are clear - then I'd at least have peace of mind.  If not, I might not have to  :banghead:  trying to get doctors to listen.  That's the part I'm really tired of and never expected (in spite of all the stories on here that should have warned me).

It is interesting having a son who's premed and having my own experience with doctors.  He's been watching and learning.  I suppose that's at least one plus.  If I can hang on until he gets out of med school (or in it with decent contacts), then maybe there's hope.  He, at least, believes me!

On good days I still have hope that my body is fixing itself as it should.  So hopefully today will be a good day.   :D  Last Monday was a really good day.  I want that one again.  Memorable good days...

Time will tell, but at least the morning isn't starting off bad as it does on many bad days (not yesterday though - yesterday was deceptive in the morning  :mad: ).

What I need is a place where I can pay for my own requested medical tests and not involve any doctors.  If the tests are clear - then I'd at least have peace of mind.  If not, I might not have to  :banghead:  trying to get doctors to listen.  That's the part I'm really tired of and never expected (in spite of all the stories on here that should have warned me).

Have you looked at directlabs.com?  You simply put in your request and pay, and then you print out the sheet, take it to the place, and then you get results yourself.  I've used it for bloodwork, and it's cheaper than other places and very fast.

They do have imaging listed, although I'm having some trouble getting it to come up right now.

Edited by happypamama