Menu

Hive celebration for Creekland and her good news

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

WONDERFUL! Tell him that his honorary board aunties said CONGRATULATIONS and WELL DONE!

Boy, waiting on the champagne...not easy. Tell hubs to HURRY, LOL.

Tis a far cry from his freshman year Bio prof who, when interviewing him for a TA position, turned him down due to homeschooling.  (Do you remember that 4 years ago?)  The prof liked him and all was going well until he asked him where he went to high school.  Then he told him he was lucky he lived on a farm, 'cause that was the only way he knew anything about science.  There was absolutely no way he would be able to teach others, so no reason to consider him for the position even though he had the highest grade in the class.   :cursing:

Fortunately, his Organic Chem and BCS (Brain & Cognitive Science) professors didn't feel the same way.  His scores from those in his recitations were quite high... and now Kaplan has asked him if he'd teach a course for them.

Yup, lucky we lived on a farm or he'd know nothing...

Oh, and he had the highest grade in that prof's Evolutionary Bio class last year too... No clue if he put any dent into the homeschooling ice though.  He said it never came up as a topic again.  We can hope.

• Like 17

Congrats! And best wishes with all the applications and interviews coming up. 

Good thing he tests well. That's the beginning of many many standardized tests in his future. I have to re-board again next year for the 2nd time. Every seven years for us. It does get easier though and I can still say that's it's all worth it. 

• Like 3

I remember, all too well, Creekland! My angst on your son's behalf was HIGH! 

He has done so very, very well. Do you ever have the urge to say to the biology professor, "Take that! Nee ner, nee ner, nee ner!"   :D

Evidently my angst still exists too... it's burned solidly into my memory even when I can forget way too many other things I'd rather remember.

I'm unsure if I want to talk with that Bio prof or just send my guy a t-shirt with something to the effect of "Homeschooler and Proud of it" written on it - perhaps added to a background of whatever med school he ends up going to.  (He's planning on several lofty apps.  Time will tell if those are in the cards.)

Chances are my guy would never wear the t-shirt though.  He's absolutely glad we homeschooled (that came up in our talk today too), but he doesn't like to brag about anything.  I guess that's our job as mamas (in carefully selected company).

It was really good to share his joy this morning though.  He still has a long road ahead.  This month it's filled with his lab work, filling out his med school app(s), and enjoying his semi-graduation with his classmates.  Some of those are still taking finals (he's finished), so even his own celebration (with them) is going to be put off a little bit.

• Like 6

Well, I vote for med school at U of MI so I have an excuse to drop off homemade cookies to the fledgling doctor!  :)

All his picks... I only promised to be his guidance counselor up through his first semester of college (choosing courses for that first semester).  Now I'm a cheerleader - and bill payer.  I might be secretly hoping for whichever school gives him the most money, MSTP or otherwise.  He has several under consideration at the moment and will likely be typical in selecting 10 or so to try.

I do have to remind hubby that St Kitts isn't in the running even if it has the best beach for visiting parents  :lol:  (and an appealing price tag :tongue_smilie: ).  The Hive wisdom says it won't work for what he wants to do.  I feel no need to google to double check that advice.

Hey, I can completely understand the "please go to med school in an exotic, beachy location oh PRETTY PLEASE" advice. I mean, gah....I live in Michigan, and my kids just keep going to college in Michigan, and well, let me just say that the climate here is not lovely and we have these amazing, gorgeous, beaches and can only bear to be out on them for three months a year!

I vote that at least one of my kids attend grad schools somewhere completely lovely like the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands or .... :D . Mamma will come and cook for you on a VERY regular basis! :lol:

• Like 2

I do have to remind hubby that St Kitts isn't in the running even if it has the best beach for visiting parents :lol:

Stanford is a short drive to the Pacific Ocean, with plenty of boardies to drop off cookies. However rent is crazy, hubby's colleagues just rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $3k/mth not far from there.

• Like 2

Hey, I can completely understand the "please go to med school in an exotic, beachy location oh PRETTY PLEASE" advice. I mean, gah....I live in Michigan, and my kids just keep going to college in Michigan, and well, let me just say that the climate here is not lovely and we have these amazing, gorgeous, beaches and can only bear to be out on them for three months a year!

I vote that at least one of my kids attend grad schools somewhere completely lovely like the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands or .... :D . Mamma will come and cook for you on a VERY regular basis! :lol:

It sure was nice visiting my Eckerd boy in Feb/March compared to visiting my URoc boy at the same time, though actually, we flew URoc boy down to visit his brother too.  He enjoyed it.

By April/May or in Aug/Sept I prefer visiting URoc.  It's pretty nice having them at different locations to adjust our travel to the season TBH.   :coolgleamA:

But as much as I've discovered how nicely travel can work out, I'll resist having any say in med school apps.  We'll visit anywhere and remain on the cheerleading team for anywhere.

We did that for colleges too actually - anywhere affordable that is.  With med school I'll just close my eyes on the affordability part - and cross my fingers - and say a prayer...

Stanford is a short drive to the Pacific Ocean, with plenty of boardies to drop off cookies. However rent is crazy, hubby's colleagues just rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $3k/mth not far from there.

Stanford is one he has on his "think strongly about" list.  He loved spending last summer there doing research.  But yes, housing!  He's also not so sure he wants to be that far from home.  He'll have to decide.

Creekland - May I change the title of this thread to something more appropriate?

It's your thread... as long as it's not some sort of crazy title and it stays on the College Board, I'm ok with it.  

• Like 2

I'd have been tempted to ask that professor's opinion of Dr. Francis Collins, former head of the Human Genome Project. Dr. Collins was homeschooled up through jr high :tongue_smilie:

He must have grown up on a farm too then?  :laugh:

Or maybe the problem is just with homeschooling high school...

• Like 1

Congratulations to him & give yourself a pat on the back!!!!  How exciting!!   :hurray:

Actually, this one is all him.  It's his results from his MCAT test - taken long after his homeschooling years.  It's the final piece of the puzzle he needed to add to his med school apps.

I'm sharing both due to the joint "parenting" of Hive high school boardie kids (and liking to follow what they do beyond our years) and because some on here have actually met the lad IRL reminding me that they like to keep up on him.

If anyone missed seeing the lad juggling fire (literally), that video is here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/605848-more-of-middle-sons-exploits-for-any-out-there-who-consider-themselves-fans/

My cautioning him against playing with fire sure didn't seem to last past leaving home.  :lol:

• Like 3

He must have grown up on a farm too then?  :laugh:

Or maybe the problem is just with homeschooling high school...

I just looked up his bio, and it says (bolding mine):

"Raised on a small farm in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, Collins was home-schooled until the sixth grade."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 3

I just looked up his bio, and it says (bolding mine):

"Raised on a small farm in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, Collins was home-schooled until the sixth grade."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well then, there just might be something to that prof's assessment after all!

Ok all of you homeschoolers, here's your data... move to a farm while homeschooling so your kids can learn science!  :hurray:

Or maybe it means homeschooled kids can go far due to getting a decent education while at home. :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

Tis a far cry from his freshman year Bio prof who, when interviewing him for a TA position, turned him down due to homeschooling.  (Do you remember that 4 years ago?) 

I remember that well!

Congratulations to your son, creekland!  What great news.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Well then, there just might be something to that prof's assessment after all!

Ok all of you homeschoolers, here's your data... move to a farm while homeschooling so your kids can learn science!  :hurray:

Or maybe it means homeschooled kids can go far due to getting a decent education while at home. :coolgleamA:

Don't forget Dr. Grant Colfax! The plural of "anecdote" = data! :tongue_smilie: :lol:

• Like 3

Ok all of you homeschoolers, here's your data... move to a farm while homeschooling so your kids can learn science! :hurray:

Stanford's nickname is The Farm :lol:

We go there because Stanford Math Circle host the AMC8/10/12 :) They do have a Stanford Science Circle for 7th graders and up.

ETA:

There is a big farm a short walk from my home, surrounded by the light rail system and rental apartments complexes.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Stanford's nickname is The Farm :lol:

We go there because Stanford Math Circle host the AMC8/10/12 :) They do have a Stanford Science Circle for 7th graders and up.

ETA:

There is a big farm a short walk from my home, surrounded by the light rail system and rental apartments complexes.

Ah, no wonder my guy got accepted to his research project there last summer.  It's the Farm connection at work!

A short walk from your home to get to a farm?  Does that mean a B in science instead of an A?   :lol:   I mean seriously, ours is right outside our door.  Our kids were raised in "surround farm."  They had no option but to be good in science.

I'm positive that mom and dad both being science folks had absolutely nothing to do with it.  It couldn't.  They were homeschooled for high school and/or middle school.

• Like 3

Tis a far cry from his freshman year Bio prof who, when interviewing him for a TA position, turned him down due to homeschooling.  (Do you remember that 4 years ago?)  The prof liked him and all was going well until he asked him where he went to high school.  Then he told him he was lucky he lived on a farm, 'cause that was the only way he knew anything about science.  There was absolutely no way he would be able to teach others, so no reason to consider him for the position even though he had the highest grade in the class.   :cursing:

I never heard that!!  Good lord!  How did you stop from killing him??!!

Living well is the best revenge... ;)  Congrats!

• Like 1

I never heard that!!  Good lord!  How did you stop from killing him??!!

Living well is the best revenge... ;)  Congrats!

It definitely helped that we're 6 hours away.  More than killing the prof, I really wanted to hug my guy.  It hit him pretty hard at the time.  

We (homeschoolers) all have that nagging thought in our mind, wondering if we're hurting our kids even if what we see/know tells us our choice is better for our kid(s).  I'm no different.  My guy outscored his peers on college entrance tests.  He's incredibly bright.  Homeschooling offered him far more than our ps (where I work) could ever have offered him.  It was the right decision.  He got into good colleges, selected one, did VERY well freshman fall semester taking a harder pre-med load than recommended for that transition semester, so essentially all was going so right.  He was honored to be chosen to interview for the TA position.  Then boom.

It hit hard.  That real world showing its ugly face when we all want to live in the ideal world.

But he's continued to do well - hopefully breaking stereotypes - and we both know that it would have been far more difficult for him to have done what he did if we hadn't homeschooled due to the lower foundational knowledge he would have had from our ps.

And there was only that one (as far as we know).  The vast, vast majority have treated him the same as any other student, including admissions to the college to start with.

When one thinks about it, it's amazing how the words of one (vs the multitudes) can have such an impact, but again, I share not so much to brag as to let others know you're not ruining your offspring solely because you choose to homeschool (even if you don't live on a farm).  Our kids have as much a chance to succeed as any other - in spite of the occasional ____ out there.

• Like 4

It definitely helped that we're 6 hours away.  More than killing the prof, I really wanted to hug my guy.  It hit him pretty hard at the time.  

You show far more grace than I could. I would make sure that prof knew about your son's success, esp. this most recent news. 

Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

• Like 1

You show far more grace than I could. I would make sure that prof knew about your son's success, esp. this most recent news. 

<snip>

Just a thought (and not aimed at you but just wondering out loud) -

Wouldn't this prof already know about how well Creekland's son is doing?  He's a bio & cog science major.  The department cannot be so big that the prof is going to miss announcements about a top grad earning awards and doing so well. I'm sure this prof is eating crow; if not publicly than at least privately.

• Like 1

Wouldn't this prof already know about how well Creekland's son is doing?  He's a bio & cog science major.  The department cannot be so big that the prof is going to miss announcements about a top grad earning awards and doing so well. I'm sure this prof is eating crow; if not publicly than at least privately.

See, that's where the grace comes in. I would want to tell him to his face. Not proud of it, but there it is.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

He should know.  Either last semester or last year (poor memory on my part) my guy also had this prof for his Evolutionary Bio class and got the top grade in that class too.  He always gets to know his profs in person (office hours, a few other times) and there just aren't many in that latter class compared to basic first semester Bio.  When I asked the lad about it, he told me it never came up again.  That's why I've no idea if there's any crack in the ice or if the prof even remembers the episode.  It was a couple of years between the two classes (freshman year to late junior or beginning senior year).  What stands out to us as a severe whack in the face might not even be memorable to him.  I don't know.

I can hope.  It's homeschoolers who went before us who broke an awful lot of ice for us.  Maybe it was his turn to do the same for those coming behind.

• Like 3

ps  I'm not sure who we'll get to meet at his graduation next week.  It's entirely possible a "Not bad for a homeschooler, huh?" comment could accidentally slip out if the situation is correct.  

:D  :D  :D

And to the professor who needs to hear it,  :001_tt2:  :001_tt2:  :001_tt2: .

• Like 1