Menu

Curriculum/material list for special needs - help me spend some money :-)

If you were able to buy any curriculum or materials for special needs what would it be? We have a large amount of money that has to be spent on materials, curriculum, equipment and/or technology to use for homeschooling ds. 

So what would be on your wishlist? Nothing is too big or too small. :)

Here are his current parameters:

14 year old boy - current functional age 2 - 3 with some higher skills.

Non vocal communicator - uses a DynaVox, some sign and PECs (he does have a few verbal name approximations)

Autism and a rare chromosome syndrome

Fine motor skills that limit ability to use writing tools (he does have a desire to use them)

He loves hands on activities

Loves to be read to

He has 20 hours of ABA a week along with speech and OT

We presume competence and truly believe there is a lot of untapped intelligence that is limited by his severe communication issues. We believe he can go a lot further than he is at right now if we can find the right tools to help. 

Things I have on my list -

~ Frog Publications programs for non readers

~ ALL reading program from Mayer Johnson 

~ Memoria Press Special Needs curriculum

~ My Fathers World early learner programs

Edited by PuddleJumper1

Some of these things depend on which skills are the "higher skills", but here are some things I'd think of, that I think are often helpful:

1) iPad, possibly a Pro (louder volume, bigger to allow better modeling, with warranty, some kind of bulletproof case, a strap, and a stand, with the following apps

-- A mirror of his AAC system to allow for more Aided Language Input, plus a back up if/when the DynaVox goes down.

-- Depending on what symbol set he's using, some of the Clicker apps (Communicator would be my first choice) for academic activities that incorporate the symbols from his device.  (Dynavox is often PCS, you can get a PCS add on for Communicator)

-- Go Talk Now Plus, to build personalized sets for things like alphabet books with links to age appropriate pictures and videos, to allow him to build his leisure skills.  

-- Todo Math, and possibly IXL if math is one of those "somewhat higher skills"

-- Notability, pic collage, and other apps that allow him to work with pictures and add text.  

2) Nook or other ereader, because they have so many awesome interactive books (Yes, you can put Nook on the iPad, but if you want to be able to talk about what he's reading, having an ereader that is separate from the iPad will allow you to have conversations about the book he's reading. 

3) Things to build leisure skills, and particularly skills that involve exercise, something that's crucial as kids move through adolescence.

-- swimming pool pass, adaptive swim lessons

-- adapted trike

-- GPS locator to make hiking with him safer (even if he's not a runner, there's always the possibility that you could fall and be injured while out with him)

4) Art supplies, including adaptive writing/drawing utensils

5) Cooking supplies, 

What are his academic/preacademic skills like?  Is he an emergent reader (still learning how print works, not recognizing most letters), or early conventional (has some letter names and sounds, has a basic idea that print carries meaning)?  How is his math?  

• Like 2

What are his academic/preacademic skills like?  Is he an emergent reader (still learning how print works, not recognizing most letters), or early conventional (has some letter names and sounds, has a basic idea that print carries meaning)?  How is his math?  

Thank you for all the excellent ideas. 

His 'higher skills' are mostly in the areas of daily living, problem solving, adapting. He's working on making himself snacks, learning to find items on a store shelf with a picture list, helping with chores. That sort of thing. His therapist believe he may have the ability for higher skills but his communication issues are a huge stumbling block.

He knows most of his colors and shapes. We are working on rote recognition/matching of numbers and letters. He's just about got 1 - 5 down. We are working on the concept of amounts (this is five and here are five things) Letters are still very emergent. We are working on the letters of his name. He does very well with matching - as to whether he is recognizing them as the building blocks to words is not clear. We are hoping the ALL reading program from Mayer Johnson will be helpful as it is geared toward the non-verbal learner. He is still very much at a preschool level, however, there is some thought that he has some skills that he doesn't know to express. He may have a better handle on some things than we know. 

He does very well with the learning apps we have on his kindle (puzzles, creating numbers and letters, early learning games). He is highly motivated by electronics. He has a touch screen computer which is really enjoys but at the moment is more for entertainment than learning. We had ABC mouse quite a few years ago (long before he could have done anything with it) - I should get it back up and running and see how he does now.

Edited by PuddleJumper1
  • Like 1

I wish I had a good suggestion but I really don't.  I did want to send you good vibes and hopes for some great suggestions...

Best wishes.  

Good vibes are always welocme! :)

This list is a bit dated (there are a lot more resources out there these days), but it might have some good ideas:

https://txspecialkids.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/tsk-curriculum-recommendations.pdf

There are some good ideas there. Thanks Kinsa

• Like 1

Thank you for all the excellent ideas. 

His 'higher skills' are mostly in the areas of daily living, problem solving, adapting. He's working on making himself snacks, learning to find items on a store shelf with a picture list, helping with chores. That sort of thing. His therapist believe he may have the ability for higher skills but his communication issues are a huge stumbling block.

He knows most of his colors and shapes. We are working on rote recognition/matching of numbers and letters. He's just about got 1 - 5 down. We are working on the concept of amounts (this is five and here are five things) Letters are still very emergent. We are working on the letters of his name. He does very well with matching - as to whether he is recognizing them as the building blocks to words is not clear. We are hoping the ALL reading program from Mayer Johnson will be helpful as it is geared toward the non-verbal learner. He is still very much at a preschool level, however, there is some thought that he has some skills that he doesn't know to express. He may have a better handle on some things than we know. 

He does very well with the learning apps we have on his kindle (puzzles, creating numbers and letters, early learning games). He is highly motivated by electronics. He has a touch screen computer which is really enjoys but at the moment is more for entertainment than learning. We had ABC mouse quite a few years ago (long before he could have done anything with it) - I should get it back up and running and see how he does now.

I like ToDo Math at that level.  I also really like working with dot patterns, like you see on a dice.  Some of the Ronit Bird dice pattern activities, especially when done silently, or with very minimal language with reinforcement from a device, can be good for developing number sense.  

For literacy, I really like some of the work that's been done within the Angelman community.  I know your son probably doesn't have Angelman, but he sounds like he has some features in common.  

I'd look on youtube for some of the workshops from the recent FAST (Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics) conference, particularly the presentations by Gretchen Hanser, Caroline Musselwhite, and Erin Sheldon (although I feel like she's more specifically Angelman focused).  They talk a lot about the importance of writing with emergent kids. They'd probably suggest that you get a highly adapted word processor like LiterAACy or Abilipad.  

I'd also look for resources from David Koppenhaver and Karen Erickson.  I really like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Disabilities-Four-Blocks%C2%AE-Four-Blocks-Literacy/dp/1600221254/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462150119&sr=8-1&keywords=david+koppenhaver

• Like 1

Oh, and to add a few more (because I love spending other people's money).

Boardmaker

Laminator

Lifetime supply of velcro.  

Some really good scissors, cause laminating and velcro do a number on them.  

• Like 2

I like ToDo Math at that level.  I also really like working with dot patterns, like you see on a dice.  Some of the Ronit Bird dice pattern activities, especially when done silently, or with very minimal language with reinforcement from a device, can be good for developing number sense.  

For literacy, I really like some of the work that's been done within the Angelman community.  I know your son probably doesn't have Angelman, but he sounds like he has some features in common.  

I'd look on youtube for some of the workshops from the recent FAST (Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics) conference, particularly the presentations by Gretchen Hanser, Caroline Musselwhite, and Erin Sheldon (although I feel like she's more specifically Angelman focused).  They talk a lot about the importance of writing with emergent kids. They'd probably suggest that you get a highly adapted word processor like LiterAACy or Abilipad.  

I'd also look for resources from David Koppenhaver and Karen Erickson.  I really like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Disabilities-Four-Blocks%C2%AE-Four-Blocks-Literacy/dp/1600221254/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462150119&sr=8-1&keywords=david+koppenhaver

Love the look of To Do Math! Definitely going on the list :)

He shares a lot of the same characteristics of children with Angelman Syndrome. He is actually quite rare within his own syndrome which is why I don't  post the name. He has very few of the classic characteristics (especially academically - his delays are much greater than most). We live more in the Autism community with a sprinkling of extra - extra specialness :)

Will definitely have a look at the Angelman info. 

Oh, and to add a few more (because I love spending other people's money).

Boardmaker

Laminator

Lifetime supply of velcro.  

Some really good scissors, cause laminating and velcro do a number on them.  

We have all of these and they get used all the time  :laugh: I should really have stock in velcro! 

Edited by PuddleJumper1

What about a really durable, point and shoot camera?  I feel as though having kids document their experiences can be such a great bridge to reading and writing.

Also, if you don't already have it, I'd think about a photo printer and high gloss photo paper and ink and scrapbooking/remnant book making supplies.  You can spend a fortune printing pictures, but scrapbooks and remnant books are a powerful literacy tool.