Menu

teacher's manual

I am trying to figure out what to do with some of my teacher's manuals.  Most of them are bound like paperbacks instead of spiral.  I love for a book to be flat plus in one of them it contains the weekly lesson plans that I want to print.  I can't get them to print well because of the way it is bound.  I am looking for ideas.  Should I take it apart and put it in page protectors or get it spiral bound?  Any other ideas? 

I am trying to figure out what to do with some of my teacher's manuals.  Most of them are bound like paperbacks instead of spiral.  I love for a book to be flat plus in one of them it contains the weekly lesson plans that I want to print.  I can't get them to print well because of the way it is bound.  I am looking for ideas.  Should I take it apart and put it in page protectors or get it spiral bound?  Any other ideas? 

I take those to Kinko's/FedEx and have the spine cut off, and the book drilled with three holes, so I can keep them in a three-ring notebook.

Edited by Ellie

I take those to Kinko's/FedEx and have the spine cut off, and the book drilled with three holes, so I can keep them in a three-ring notebook.

This is what I do except I take it to Staples.  I dislike spirals because they get wonky.  I prefer three ring binders.

This is what I do except I take it to Staples.  I dislike spirals because they get wonky.  I prefer three ring binders.

Yes, spirals do get wonky.

Not all Staples stores have the equipment to easily cut the spines off books. Kinko's/FedEx does.

What is this "Kinko's/FedEx"? They are a joint store? I've only seen one or the other. Or do they both just provide the service? I would never think to walk into a FedEx store and ask about book binding. I may need to keep this in mind. I wanted to make copies of the back of Writing With Ease (just student pages) but holding it on the copy machine is a huge pain.

Edited: Maybe Kinko's that I remember always was affiliated with FedEx. I should still compare the FedEx store to Office Depot and see how they compare on rates.

Edited by heartlikealion

I do all sorts of different combos, depending on the book and my specific plans.

For WWE, I pulled out the student pages, one by one, and 3-ringed them.  I've had SOTW texts spiral bound at Staples.  I've Pro-clicked History Odyssey.  I've torn apart workbooks and stored them in folders.

For things that will be copied frequently or in bulk (for me, that's WWE and SOTW student pages,) the 3-ring binder or folder/envelope method is the best.  As much as I love my Proclick, I can't feed multiple papers with that many holes into my printer.

• Like 1

This is what I do except I take it to Staples. I dislike spirals because they get wonky. I prefer three ring binders.

I do this too. It works great for copying pages, and is pretty inexpensive to do.

What is this "Kinko's/FedEx"? They are a joint store? I've only seen one or the other. Or do they both just provide the service? I would never think to walk into a FedEx store and ask about book binding. I may need to keep this in mind. I wanted to make copies of the back of Writing With Ease (just student pages) but holding it on the copy machine is a huge pain.

Edited: Maybe Kinko's that I remember always was affiliated with FedEx. I should still compare the FedEx store to Office Depot and see how they compare on rates.

Kinko's was bought out by FedEx. For awhile it was "Kinko's/FedEx" but now it's just FedEx. I'm sure there are FedEx stores that are only shipping and whatnot. :-)

• Like 1

I crack the spine and carefully pull out a couple pages at a time. Then I use my paper cutter to trim about a quarter of an inch off the edge to make sure there is no glue, and hole-punch it. When I am done with the book, I just use a binder clip to hold it all together.

I crack the spine and carefully pull out a couple pages at a time. Then I use my paper cutter to trim about a quarter of an inch off the edge to make sure there is no glue, and hole-punch it. When I am done with the book, I just use a binder clip to hold it all together.

This is what my husband said to do but I am afraid I will ruin it!

This is what my husband said to do but I am afraid I will ruin it!

No worries! Bend the spine back a lot to really expose the glue. Hold the paper close to the glue and separate slowly, just a couple pages at a time, and set them aside in order. You could also use an xacto knife to cut the pages, but that's much more likely to end up uneven.