Menu

Accountability Thread: 5/1-5/7

And welcome to May! Two more weeks of school for us, then a three week summer break and then summer term begins after Memorial Day weekend.

Today's schedule:

French-Unit 13

Latin-Continue lesson 21, grammar recitation today

Math-Lesson 6 in CLE, 1 page of Key to Decimals

Free Writing

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping and a little cooking.

• Like 6

Done with all but the cooking, and that's started. I managed to put down another 2,000+ on the work in progress, swept a little bit, got through the laundry, and took a 1/2 mile walk with the dogs. Go me!

I need to figure out when I want to sit down with the summer books and figure out how I want to schedule Christian Studies and Shakespeare. I haven't got around to that yet. Just have some sketches in my head of how I'd like it to go. I don't know if I want to play around with it this week or next, or save it for summer vacation. 

• Like 6

DD helped DH with tree-trimming, then worked through math, spelling, and English with a good attitude before going to ride horses with the neighbors. I vacuumed the house because the dog destroyed one of his fuzzy toys and it looked like he had disemboweled Cookie Monster, all over everywhere. Now I need to finish the housework (some laundry and making the beds with clean linen), and I think we'll be out of time.

DD has been struggling with school lately, so I put away the LoF Pre-Algebra and am having her work through Ice Cream because we have it on the shelf and never finished. She does 6 chapters a week in that, and is working through a couple of the OLD Singapore CWP books (first and second grade) because she can't do word problems to save her life (I seriously suspect dyslexia), and has gotten a lot of her confidence back. Today when she finished and found out that she had gotten all the problems right in both LoF and CWP, she said "I'm awesome at math!" I haven't heard that in a long time. She's even enjoying the lessons in SYRWTL Maths, too. 

• Like 7

Good Monday morning everyone! I was so glad to wave dh off to work this morning!!! I don't usually feel that way, but MAN, he was bugging me all weekend! I just clenched my jaw and kept my nose in a book or took the kids out a few times. My to-do list is a mile long today, yet it feels like a break. I hope I'm not the only one that has felt that way.

Monday's list:

-2 loads laundry (already started!)

-impromptu morning business errands that have deadlines (ahh, the joys of self-employment)

-reading

-double spelling lesson

-1 hour games for working memory

-1 hour fine motor activities

-science/history reading (I don't have my planner in front of me and I can't remember which. I think we end up with a back to back week of one subject and I don't remember if it was this week or next.)

-piano practice

-weekly fridge/freezer clean out

-phone consult with orthodontist

-few phone calls related to weekend travel plans

Have a great day!

• Like 6

Today's schedule:

French-Listen to Unit 13, 14, no workbook today

Latin-Finish translation for Lesson 21, study for quiz

Math-CLE lesson 7, 1 page KTD

Writing-free writing

History-Finish Cp 3 in OUP Voyages, answer questions, additional reading in Columbus and Sons

Science-Explorer Cp 4, sec 2, Characteristics of Stars, answer questions, additional reading in Planet Guides: Jupiter

Literature-Robin Hood, Allin-a-Dale; Canterbury Tales, Fool's Gold

I think we will also watch a documentary on the Plantagenets today as part of History. Depends on how things go.

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing (NaNo is over, but I'm trying to keep up with a 2,000 word goal per day), Housekeeping. No cooking today-plenty of leftovers!

• Like 5

I can't believe it is May already! I wasn't on here at all last week, we were busy, busy. DD had a small part in a production being sponsored by her ballet school and last week was the final week. She had to be at rehearsal Mon. - Wed. evenings and then she performed on Friday and Saturday. This was her first experience in a performance and she loved it! I'm so proud of her!

On Friday I came down with a sore throat, which turned into an awful head cold by Saturday morning. I spent most of the weekend on the couch, doped up with cold medicine, which didn't give me much relief. I feel slightly better today but not much.

The hunt for a new rental house continues. We actually have found a house we would like to rent, just waiting on our application to be approved and all that. Still keeping an eye out for anything new that pops up just in case we don't get this one. I have not done any packing yet. Sigh. Need to start that this week. I am not feeling crazy stressed out about it all anymore.

The plan for this morning: read aloud, memory work, cursive, reading and math. This afternoon I am going to take a nap while the kids watch a movie. After DH gets home he and the kids plan to watch some more episodes of Impossible Engineering. They just discovered it last week and really like it. No outside activities tonight, YAY, so we will have dinner and finally get the kitchen completely cleaned up. It's been half done all weekend.

• Like 5

Happy late May Day! I think we managed to get rid of the last of the fevers this weekend. Everyone is still working on getting healthy - DS is still hacking from coughs and DD is still sleeping in till like noon... but they are getting better, hooray!

School:

Math - DS 

Language - DS 

All About Spelling - DS 

Reading - DD 

Phonics - DD 

Social Studies - DD

Read aloud for Harry Potter Unit Study

Chores:

Wash laundry

Dishes

Sweep

Book hotel for family vacation

Budgeting........about half done

Continue working on putting together BYL into binders for summer and fall

order or make (?) some kind of place value blocks for DD <<< decided to use wooden buttons I have on hand (and ordered another 200 of them) and popsicle sticks (glue 10 onto popsicle stick = a ten, take ten of those and tie them together = a hundred, repeat repeat) - this way DD can help me I think it will have more meaning

Library Trip

Drop off Cub Scout fundraising money

Pick up prescription and more cough meds for kids

Edited by againstthegrain
  • Like 4

Monday -

A pretty good day here.  Two different maths done with dd.  Science done.  Literature done.

Ds and I watched the 1940's movie Our Town which was not the version I wanted to watch but was the only one that I could get to actually stream from the library.  It was good.  We had some great discussion.

• Like 4

I can't begin to express how delightful it is to look at the weeks ahead and think "free evenings." We are all relaxing into this newfound freedom, and I hope we will take a different approach to "outside activities" in September. But perhaps by then we'll be ready to start a few things back up again?

Anyway, here's the week:

Sunday 5/1

Church

Celebrate our wedding anniversary

Monday 5/2

Regular chores, meals, laundry, exercise, pets & hygiene

School Work

Evening read aloud--Prince Caspian

Tuesday 5/3

School Work

Wednesday 5/4

School Work

Thursday 5/5

School Work

Friday 5/6

Visit the grandparents :)

Saturday 5/7

Lawn & yard work

Housecleaning & cooking

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 4

Monday 5/1

• Group Work -- Prayer, Personal Devotions (the girls are beginning to develop this habit), Hymns & Worship, Junior Bible Quiz (review & new), History Lesson, Read Aloud: Prince Caspian
  • 3rd Grade Independent Work -- Instrument Practice, Exercise, Vocabulary, Assigned Independent Reading, Poetry Memory Work
  • 3rd Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Grammar, Composition, Reading Check-In
  • 5th Grade Independent Work -- Instrument Practice, Exercise, Vocabulary, Assigned Independent Reading, Poetry Memory Work
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Grammar (long lesson, good grief!), Reading Check-In
  • Like 3

Time to get crack-a-lacking, ladies! :)

The entire week here is slated for rain. It's been raining since last Friday, off and on. I am glad, actually, we could use it, to fill up the reservoirs. Our grass is the greenest green I have ever seen.

The girls have been reciting this in the foggy mornings --

One misty, moisty, morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
There I met an old man
All clothed in leather,

All clothed in leather,
With a cap under his chin.
How do you do?
And how do you do?
And how do you do again?

The other good thing about the rain is that we can get a good portion of our May school work done this week, early on in the month, since Homeschoolers-Play-in-the-Creek has been postponed. ;) Although, if it was just a wee bit warmer, we would play in the creek in the rain. I love being outside on what I call a Gray and Green Day.

http://bw-1a9dcba2349fef2bb823c39e45dd6c96-ophoto.s3.amazonaws.com/albums/686/ced8f8921dcc13338858.jpg

I think we might, anyway. Maybe on Friday we'll cut loose. We'll see. Gotta get to work now. Have a good one!

• Like 3

Bzymama23- I checked out that link and it looks really cool. What format/platform/whatever you call it do you watch it on?

Sahamamama- happy anniversary to you and your dh!

Today, our usual outside activities are cancelled but we have rehearsal for our speaking engagement so we still don't get the night off.

Tuesday's list:

-1 load laundry (washing now)

- start slow cooker (check!)

- reading

-double spelling lesson

-Clue for working memory

-wildflower coloring book for fine motor

-piano practice

-poetry tea

-early dinner

-leave house by 5:45 for rehearsal

• Like 3

Done with school today except our evening read aloud. It's a beautiful day so we will spend the evening doing yardwork. Most of the chores are done as well, hooray! Unfortunately I have a major tooth pain that has been developing over the last couple days. I had something stuck in my tooth, flossed it out and had to get down in there to get it out. I think I exposed the root or something - cold things are causing extreme pain. REALLY hoping it isn't something major, I'm not digging a $1500 root canal bill right before vacation :P

• Like 4

Tuesday 5/3

• Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets, hygiene
  • Morning Group Work -- Prayer, Personal Devotions, Hymns, Junior Bible Quiz (review), History Lesson (double)
  • 3rd Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Composition, Grammar, Reading Check-In
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Composition, Reading Check-In
  • 3rd Grade Independent Work -- Assigned Independent Reading with written work, Vocabulary, Typing, Poetry Memory Work, Instrument Practice
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- A.I.R. with written work, Spelling, Typing, Poetry Memory Work, Instrument Practice
  • Nap -- two hours on this rainy, rainy day :closedeyes: (they are happy to nap, honestly!)
  • Evening Group Work -- Composer Study: Haydn, Book Club: Prince Caspian

At the moment, the girls are sleeping. The rabbits are all sleeping. The kitchen is done. The laundry is done. The house is clean. The main school work is done, except to do a little bit more with my 5th grader when nap is over. I am looking forward to the evening composer study and read aloud time, still amazed to not be going anywhere. LOL.

• Like 5

Done with school today except our evening read aloud. It's a beautiful day so we will spend the evening doing yardwork. Most of the chores are done as well, hooray! Unfortunately I have a major tooth pain that has been developing over the last couple days. I had something stuck in my tooth, flossed it out and had to get down in there to get it out. I think I exposed the root or something - cold things are causing extreme pain. REALLY hoping it isn't something major, I'm not digging a $1500 root canal bill right before vacation :p

Maybe try using Sensodyne for a few days before going to a dentist? It helps with sensitivity to cold, heat, and pressure.

Also, I've been reading up on re-enamelizing teeth, and what causes loss of enamel. It's interesting, but I'm not sure if I believe everything out there, though. I'm glad I've never been a soda drinker! That stuff is toxic!

http://www.arizonafamilydental.com/blog/weak-enamel-truth-about-tooth-erosion/

There seems to be a connection between celiac disease and loss of tooth enamel. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3

Maybe try using Sensodyne for a few days before going to a dentist? It helps with sensitivity to cold, heat, and pressure.

Also, I've been reading up on re-enamelizing teeth, and what causes loss of enamel. It's interesting, but I'm not sure if I believe everything out there, though. I'm glad I've never been a soda drinker! That stuff is toxic!

http://www.arizonafamilydental.com/blog/weak-enamel-truth-about-tooth-erosion/

There seems to be a connection between celiac disease and loss of tooth enamel. Hope you feel better soon.

I'll pick some up tonight. My teeth aren't healthy by any means - there is thousands of work that could be done on them, no doubt. I grinded my teeth for 25 years before realizing the damage :(

If it's my BACK molar, they can pull it, no biggie. I think it may be a molar in though.. I had it done the other side and OMG so much better - my mouth had so much more room. The molars crowd it bad in the back even with my wisdom teeth LONG removed. Hoping right now I just flossed too vigorously - I'll just take it super easy on that side and pick up some sensodyne toothpaste. It's only COLD that bothers it - not chewing or warm or hot things. However, it has developed into a dull constant ache so I need to try to be nice to it for a while to see if it will heal!

If not, off to the dentist I will go, ugh.

• Like 3

I'll pick some up tonight. My teeth aren't healthy by any means - there is thousands of work that could be done on them, no doubt. I grinded my teeth for 25 years before realizing the damage :(

If it's my BACK molar, they can pull it, no biggie. I think it may be a molar in though.. I had it done the other side and OMG so much better - my mouth had so much more room. The molars crowd it bad in the back even with my wisdom teeth LONG removed. Hoping right now I just flossed too vigorously - I'll just take it super easy on that side and pick up some sensodyne toothpaste. It's only COLD that bothers it - not chewing or warm or hot things. However, it has developed into a dull constant ache so I need to try to be nice to it for a while to see if it will heal!

If not, off to the dentist I will go, ugh.

Sometimes I forget how "lucky" I am -- 49 years old, and I have never had a cavity. Not one. No fillings, ever. No gum disease. Had braces at 14-16 and my teeth are all still where the orthodontist left them.

I went to a dentist about 5 years ago, and when he saw my teeth, he spent the rest of the visit LAUGHING. I mean, he was just shaking with laughter. On the way out, I asked him, "Was it that funny?"

You know what he actually said to my face? He said, "I've heard of people like you, but I've never had a patient like you. That was the easiest money I have ever made in 50 years of dentistry. Thanks for stopping by."

• Like 4

Moving right along this week.

Today's schedule:

French-Unite 14, workbook

Latin-Unit 4 Review, workbook

Math-CLE lesson 9, 1 page Key to Decimals

Writing-free writing (the boys are actually reading their stories to me this week, since both finished their self-assigned projects)

Grammar-a lesson in Harvey's

History-OUP Voyages-Cp 4 on the Printing Press, questions, Additional Reading in Columbus and Sons

Science- Explorer, Cp 4, sec 3, The Lives of Stars, questions, Additional Reading in Planet Guides-Saturn

Literature-Robin Hood, Canterbury Tales

My schedule: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Hair. No housekeeping today since hair just takes too long. Pizza and Movie night-Return of the Jedi.

• Like 5

Againstthegrain- so sorry about tooth trouble. I have to use sensodyne exclusively or I get a shooting pain in my teeth up into my sinuses and down my jaw anytime I have something a little cold. Not even ice cold.

Mama25- nice to see you! Glad things are going well.

Last night's rehearsal went well. Dd is the youngest presenter at this event and she is stronger than the teenagers. Holds the microphone well, projects, speaks slow enough for everyone to hear what she is saying. I'm so proud. Ok, mom brag over. :)

Today, we have a new schedule for piano lessons and I'm afraid it is going interfere with the baby's afternoon nap. Oh well, I'll just do the best I can.

Wednesday's list:

-1 load laundry (in dryer)

-piano practice

-reading

-double spelling lesson

-games for memory (sleeping queens?)

-fine motor activity (probably rainbow loom)

-play outside in the gorgeous weather

-piano lesson

-history: I'd like to start Liberty's Kids. It goes with our current time period.

-taking the evening off! Not going anywhere and not cooking. There's plenty of leftovers.

• Like 5

Dd is the youngest presenter at this event and she is stronger than the teenagers. Holds the microphone well, projects, speaks slow enough for everyone to hear what she is saying. I'm so proud. Ok, mom brag over. :)

Mrs. R. --

Congratulations on her success, and mom brags are allowed here! ;) You work it, you brag, LOL.

I'd love to know (if possible) what kind of speaking group this is, as we've been searching for something to plug into (but so far, nothing has seemed to fit). :bigear:

My girls will be 4th, 4th, and 6th graders in September. We have considered 4-H, so that is a possibility. I'm not sure how much emphasis there is on presentations, but we will check out a few clubs at the 4-H County Fair this summer. I wanted to wait until all the girls were in 4th and up, so they could be in the same club.

• Like 5

Wednesday 5/4

• Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets, exercise (everyone, even me!), hygiene
  • Morning Group Work -- Prayer, Personal Devotions, Hymns, Junior Bible Quiz (review), History Lesson, Composer Study: Haydn (didn't get to it last night)
  • 3rd Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Composition, Grammar, Reading Check-In
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Grammar, Reading Check-In
  • 3rd Grade Independent Work -- Instrument Practice (both instruments), Assigned Independent Reading with written work, Vocabulary, Poetry Memory Work
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- Instrument Practice, A.I.R. with written work, Vocabulary, Poetry Memory Work
  • Free Time
  • Book Club: Prince Caspian
  • Church Midweek -- final program, awards, parent night

Brag Alert -- All three girls memorized every Bible passage in the program for the past two years. That is now over 60 passages, and their retention is amazing. Now, if only we can apply this to clean bedrooms, clean ears, and daily chores.... :)

Critterfixer, I need someone to talk me into continuing with Latin. Want to volunteer? We finished LC 1 this year, about a month ago. We opened up First Form and I thought my oldest was going to cry. So it went back on the shelf, something that has never happened here.

She loves French. She tolerates Grammar (FLL, near the end of Level 4). We are going to switch Grammar to CLE LA 600 next year, and are looking forward to that, for sure. We love it for Math, and the transition from Horizons Math to CLE Math was a good fit. We hope the same will hold true for English. She's just ready for the instruction to be directed to her, not droning out of me.

But I go back and forth on Latin. I know you and your boys are working on 2nd or 3rd Form? Are you alive and well? Tell us it will not kill us, and I will think about it over the summer.

Should I give her a year "off?" She likes the English from the Roots Up cards (a lot, actually). She likes the Book of Roots ("Derivatives are interesting"). She enjoys Lingua Angelica (the songs). I was thinking that we could sort of un-Memoria Press-ize Latin for a year. I think it's the workbook/quiz/test format she hates, not the language itself.

We could periodically review the LC vocabulary cards. We could study the Roots Up cards, and play Rummy Roots (a related game). We could work through more BOR, and sing more Lingua Angelica. We could put the FF charts on the wall, and -- without any workbooks involved -- we could recite the grammar forms. The following year, we could begin again.

Or, plod on? I admit, it has been so nice, having a "break" from Latin. Sigh.

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 4

But I go back and forth on Latin. I know you and your boys are working on 2nd or 3rd Form? Are you alive and well? Tell us it will not kill us, and I will think about it over the summer.

Well, we aren't dead yet. I'll tell you though, I feel like I'm up to my ears in Latin right now, and if somebody doesn't give me a bucket to bail, I'm gonna choke. There's just so much to remember when you are learning it! However, every time I get to this point, typically I find a way to compartmentalize the information and I can catch a breath.

We are in 2nd Form and have six lessons or so left (passive voice). We will finish it over the summer and move to 3rd Form. 

We take about 1.5 years to complete a Form. I see no point in rushing Latin or pushing through tears. That way madness lies. 

• Like 5

Well, we aren't dead yet. I'll tell you though, I feel like I'm up to my ears in Latin right now, and if somebody doesn't give me a bucket to bail, I'm gonna choke. There's just so much to remember when you are learning it! However, every time I get to this point, typically I find a way to compartmentalize the information and I can catch a breath.

We are in 2nd Form and have six lessons or so left (passive voice). We will finish it over the summer and move to 3rd Form. 

We take about 1.5 years to complete a Form. I see no point in rushing Latin or pushing through tears. That way madness lies. 

Thanks for that. :) I think I am going to "sneak in" some Latin next year for 6th, as I outlined above, without actually having her do the full FF course. Along with that, I think the real key (for me) is to study First Form on my own, ahead of her. I think the thing that is holding me back is... me.

My student is probably picking up on my Latin anxiety, too. The only way to nip that is for me to become more confident. The only way for me to become more confident is to become more knowledgeable. The only way for me to become more knowledgeable is to study. There. I said it.

Okay... now, someone tell me it's worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :leaving:

• Like 5

Went with our homeschool group to the wildlife reserve, kids had a blast playing in the creek... then a picnic lunch and an hour at the playground before we had girl scouts... and then I came home and took a nap (exhausted!). Resetting for a 'normal' school day tomorrow.

Edit: My tooth seems to be getting better, yippee!

Edited by againstthegrain
  • Like 5

Sahamama- Sadly this isn't an official speaking group you could plug in to. A friend of ours was given a presentation assignment for a conference and he needed a lot of young people to fill up spaces within his assignment. (his topic revolved around ages 8-18) However, this opportunity has made me realize that I had speech and debate in public high school and dh (a homeschooler, himself) has a lot of public speaking through some volunteer positions he's taken on in the last 5 or so years. How do you teach public speaking to a homeschooler??? If you come up with an answer before I do, let me know!!!

• Like 4

If you come up with an answer before I do, let me know!!! 

I'm hoping to imitate Demosthenes, who declaimed his speeches to the waves. :laugh:

My student is probably picking up on my Latin anxiety, too. The only way to nip that is for me to become more confident. The only way for me to become more confident is to become more knowledgeable. The only way for me to become more knowledgeable is to study. There. I said it.

Yup. I think the boys get a kick out of watching me growl and snap my way through it right along with them. And we have fun giggling at the instructor on the DVDs, and making fun of him now that we can actually keep up with the recitation!

So yeah, totally worth it.

And study sessions at night with cinnamon toast and cocoa are pretty fun, too.

ETA: So I don't really study ahead. I just do the Latin lesson at the same time they do it. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I'm hoping to imitate Demosthenes, who declaimed his speeches to the waves. :laugh:

Yup. I think the boys get a kick out of watching me growl and snap my way through it right along with them. And we have fun giggling at the instructor on the DVDs, and making fun of him now that we can actually keep up with the recitation!

So yeah, totally worth it.

And study sessions at night with cinnamon toast and cocoa are pretty fun, too.

ETA: So I don't really study ahead. I just do the Latin lesson at the same time they do it. 

Oh my goodness! I bow in humble awe!  :svengo: 

That DVD should be entitled, "Greased-Lightning Latin with Glen Moore." I had to put Leigh Lowe on 2x speed, just to stay awake, and now I have to put Glen Moore on .5x speed, just to grasp a mere fraction of what he's saying.

As my husband is fond of saying, after I've driven the van, "Holy hug the steering wheel, Batman!"

• Like 3

Up super early for us this morning. Babysitting again today and her daddy had to drop her off at 6:30. Her crying at the separation woke up all my kids. Oh, well. I'll darken the house and put on a quiet movie and have everyone rest while the toddlers nap this afternoon.

Thursday's list:

-1 load laundry

-reading

-double spelling lesson

-math

-prek activity

-game time

-activity time

-Liberty's Kids

-piano practice

-outdoor play

-clean bathrooms

-pack for weekend trip

-dh takes big kids to Lowe's kids build project tonight

Thursday's list that will actually get done with an extra 2 yo in the mix:

-outdoor play

-reading

-Liberty's Kids

-piano practice

Hopefully I can get some of the cleaning and packing done while the kids are out with dh tonight.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 5

I'm kind of worn out this week. Just a lot going on, and I've been out of the house this week more than I like.

Today's schedule:

French-Unite 14, workbook

Latin-Unit 4 Review, study grammar, workbook

Math-Quiz 2, 1 page of Key to Decimals

Writing-Diagramming for Grammar, free writing

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Literature-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Cooking, Library Night.

• Like 4

Spent the morning cleaning and getting school work done. DD and I will be making base 10 "blocks" tonight or tomorrow with buttons and popsicle sticks. DS has 20 min of school work left or so... and we may have time tonight for a chapter from our Harry Potter unit study.

I thought I had 8 classes left to get my BA, its now looking like 4 classes. Unfortunately one of the courses I need got dropped for summer due to low enrollment, which means I'll be taking 2 in summer and 2 in fall. Just waiting (impatiently) to hear back from the Associate Dean for confirmation on the number of courses. If that's the case, I have a bunch of registration changes to do then I can start freaking out about the GRE and Praxis I exams that I will schedule in the Spring before trying to get into the MAT program for fall. 

Again, waiting very very very impatiently for her to respond. *taps fingers*

• Like 5

Thursday 5/5

• Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets, exercise, hygiene
  • Group Work -- Prayer, Personal Devotions, Hymns, History Lesson
  • 3rd Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Composition, Grammar
  • 5th Grade Tutor Time -- Math, Composition
  • 3rd Grade Independent Work -- Instrument Practice, Assigned Independent Reading with written work, Vocabulary, Poetry Memory Work, JBQ review
  • 5th Grade Independent Work -- Instrument Practice, A.I.R. with written work, Spelling, Poetry Memory Work, JBQ review
  • Free Time -- Mother's Day Preparations* (this was on their work list, LOL)
  • Book Club: Prince Caspian

*We have to train them right, you know? And so, my expectations for this Mother's Day have been made very clear -- ;)

• Morning = French vanilla coffee + something yummy to eat (all made by Hubby)
  • Church together (as usual)
  • Afternoon = any meal at home is fine, but if they're taking orders, then I'd like a Mediterranean tossed green salad with feta cheese, chick peas, kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, and chicken
  • Dessert should involve homemade brownies, strawberries, and whipped cream, possibly ice cream (we haven't had dessert in months)
  • No gifts are necessary, but homemade cards are appreciated and kept forever.
  • Like 4

It's taken us most of a year and lots of practice at a slower speed to catch up with him! But we have!

Oh, and totally memorize the accusative prepositions to the tune of Jingle Bells. It works better. 

Is there a link to a video of this? I only found the ablative prepositions to some other tune, I think. Thanks, CF!

• Like 3

Super busy day. Heading out of town as soon as dh gets home from work and showers.

Friday's list:

-1 load laundry (done)

-shop at neighborhood garage sales (done)

-reading (done)

-double spelling lesson

-math

-games/fine motor activity

-prek activity for ds

-Liberty's kids episode

-shopping for a top for me for our trip (heading out as soon as everyone has used the bathroom! Lol!)

-clean and gas car

-finish up packing

• Like 4

DS finished up his math for the year today. He has a few Language Lessons to finish and he's done with normal year work.

DD just has math left for the year. We made base 10 blocks today from buttons and popsicle sticks - they are TOO CUTE. We'll be spending today and next week just mastering the base 10 usage. 

Looked at next week, went EEK! We have Mon/Tues to work on any school but Wednesday -Friday we are busy with homeschool groups, playdates and a play at the theatre to celebrate the end of 1st and 3rd grade.

Then, we leave and go on vacation for a week. Yay!

....still waiting to hear from my Dean. *taps foot*

• Like 5

Well, more school got done this week. We finished The Last Battle yesterday, the youngest and I were sad to see it end, we really enjoyed it. I tell you the next time we read through them I'm going to do a lot more of the work that's already in FUFI, I really hate that we didn't do more stuff with it. Math, Latin, Spanish got done as well!

• Like 4

Is there a link to a video of this? I only found the ablative prepositions to some other tune, I think. Thanks, CF!

The ablatives fit very well with Oh, Christmas Tree. 

I take credit for putting the Accusatives with Jingle Bells. :D I don't think I can be coerced into performing, but they fit really, really well.

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells                                         Ad, ante, apud, in,

Jingle all the way,                                                  inter, ob and per,

Oh, what fun it is to ride                                         post and propter, sub and trans,

In a one horse open sleigh!                                   circum, contra, juxta!

• Like 3

This was actually a pretty good week! We needed it after the past few. School got done relatively painlessly and DD got a two-skill pass pretty well mastered on the double mini trampoline, which was a big deal because if she can show her head coach she can do it consistently she may move up to the sub-advanced division next season, skipping the intermediate level entirely. She's thoroughly sick of her current levels on trampoline and double mini because they're too easy, and have been for months. I knew they would be when they were announced in August, but her coach isn't very flexible, despite being a former gymnast, LOL. 

I told DD that I would take her to her birthday trapeze lesson tomorrow if she gets her schoolwork done early. Her birthday was almost a month ago, but we haven't been able to go because either it's been too wet or we've had visitors, and the facility is outdoors. She's super excited about it.

• Like 5