Menu

Creation Museum - trip planning (PLEASE no debate on the merits of the actual museum)

Dulce Domem

Okay - I know that people feel strongly about the Creation Museum.  I am NOT looking to debate it.  I am asking for help in planning a trip to visit it.  So, if you don't support the existence of the Creation Museum, this probably isn't the thread for you.   :001_smile: I only ask here because I know that there probably ARE boardies who have visited or at the very least live in the area and can help me out.

We are planning a trip in the fall, but have never been to that part of the country before.  I have some questions and need your advice.

1)  Would September or October be a better time to visit?  Or even November?

2)  Is there anything else interesting to do in the general area (within a 3 hour radius)?  We have at least a week to spend, so we would like to see anything else of interest in the area.  Historical sites, museums, nature sites, cultural sites, etc.  Anything!  We are coming from the Memphis area, so anything in between would work, too.

3)  Where would be the best place to look for lodging?  What town?  We are also wanting to visit the new ark encounter.  

Thanks everyone!  

• Like 4

1. I am not sure it matters a whole lot. You are coming from warmer, so you might want earlier vs. later. 

2. Lots!!! 

Cincinnati Museum Center (at Union Terminal)

Freedom Center (Undergound Railroad)

Art museum

Krohn Conservatory

Metro Parks

There are local history museums in N KY as well.

A little further out, you have Ft. Ancient and Sunwatch Village--both are major archaeological sites http://www.fortancient.org/

Jungle Jim's

USAF Museum (Dayton)

Carillon Historical Park (Dayton)

3. I never know how to tell people where to stay since I don't really stay in local hotels, but you'll probably not want to stay every night downtown. It will get pricey. 

Have fun!

The airport is not that far from the creation museum. I have had a lot of luck naming my own price on Priceline in airport areas of other cities. I have never done it in cinci, but that is what I would try.

I think September or October would be better. The creation museum has really pretty grounds you can walk around.

I love the Cincinnati museum center, but they are getting ready to renovate it so I am not sure how much will be open in the fall.

Big bone lick state park is in Kentucky and they have bison there.

Connors prairie is good. It is near Indianapolis so probably 2 hours away. You could also go to Cosi in Columbus. Or the lousiville slugger place in Louisville.

In Cincinnati, there is the zoo and aquarium. There is also a place called the Unmuseum, but I have never been.

Big bone lick state park is in Kentucky and they have bison there.

I love Big Bone Lick State Park.  There is a great campground there, too, if you camp.  In fact, when we were in Kentucky a few years back, we were very impressed with the quality of the state campgrounds.  The campground at Big Bone Lick has a pool and mini-golf, which is a rarity for a state campground.

If you can arrange to go through/near Slade KY on the way (and I think, from Memphis, you can do so pretty easily), and you like snakes, the Kentucky Reptile Zoo is awesome. It is primarily a venom farm for antivenin and biomedical research, but they do give tours to the public, and have separate buildings set up for reptiles from different ecosystems and continents. They have a really awesome adopt-a-snake program where your kids can pick a snake to adopt, get a photo of that specific animal, and their name is put on the snake's enclosure for a year. DD is dying to do an internship there, but she has to have a Bachelor's first. :). They are super-nice folks, and one thing I loved was that one talk with Jim Harrison (who started the farm/zoo and does Venom extractions) convinced her that yes, venomous snakes are beautiful and awesome, but they're also dangerous even when you know what you're doing and take all precautions.

My one caveat-stop at the state park ranger station and use the bathroom first-the reptile zoo doesn't have any open to the public, and it's about 10 minutes drive time to get back to the ranger station.

Okay - I know that people feel strongly about the Creation Museum.  I am NOT looking to debate it.  I am asking for help in planning a trip to visit it.  So, if you don't support the existence of the Creation Museum, this probably isn't the thread for you.   :001_smile: I only ask here because I know that there probably ARE boardies who have visited or at the very least live in the area and can help me out.

We are planning a trip in the fall, but have never been to that part of the country before.  I have some questions and need your advice.

1)  Would September or October be a better time to visit?  Or even November?

2)  Is there anything else interesting to do in the general area (within a 3 hour radius)?  We have at least a week to spend, so we would like to see anything else of interest in the area.  Historical sites, museums, nature sites, cultural sites, etc.  Anything!  We are coming from the Memphis area, so anything in between would work, too.

3)  Where would be the best place to look for lodging?  What town?  We are also wanting to visit the new ark encounter.  

Thanks everyone!  

Are you talking about the one in Texas near Glen Rose?

I think October is prettier as the leaves are changing. It can be rainy though. Any of those months would be a good time to visit. I'm not sure when the Noah's Ark park opens, it may be another year but if it's this year time your trip so you can do both. The Creation Museum frequently has deals where children can get in free, make sure to look for ticket deals. I haven't been since the year it opened so I don't have any advice on what to see there.

The Horse Park is about an hour 10 minutes from the Creation Museum. If you decide to do that, come in October and you can also go to Keeneland while in Lexington to watch horse racing. Even if you don't bet, it is interesting to observe and the track is beautiful (it was used in the movie Secretariat). Slade is about 3 hours, the reptile museum is interesting even if you aren't a huge snake person. The hiking in that area fantastic! People come from all over the world to go rock climbing in the Daniel Boone.

Big Bone Lick is a great state park and pretty close to the Creation Museum, you could spend an afternoon there. The Bison are fun to see and there are fossils.

There is tons to do in Cincinatti, there are been several past threads, Jan in OH had great ideas. City Center Museum is great, it's three separate museums all in the same location. If the tower is open it is neat seeing the train yard in operation. There is a city park that has a wheelchair accessible treehouse that is really neat, I can't remember the name off the top of my head though. I like outdoors things and there is a lot of hiking in that area too.

What types of things do you like to do as a family?

Adding more since you are driving through Kentucky...

You could do a Lincoln tour. His birthplace is in Hodgenville and nearby is his boyhood home. In Lexington is Mary Todd Lincoln's childhood house.

Go to Mammoth Cave. A neat place to stay nearby is the Wigwam Hotel. There is also the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green.

I mentioned hiking above, I would skip that in the Cincinnati area since you live in TN but I still recommend hiking in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

We spent a couple of days in Cincinnati on a road trip last summer. It's a cute town. I'd go in September so you can take in a Reds game. There's a bunch of good food. You can do a chili taste test. The Findlay Market is worth exploring and nibbling though. Jungle Jim's is a HUGE, crazy international grocery/market that our kids loved. I believe there's a small zoo. The art museum is free and in a lovely park. I want to say the botanical gardens had good reviews, but we didn't have time to explore too many things.

Are you talking about the one in Texas near Glen Rose?

Sorry!  I should have specified - this one:  http://creationmuseum.org

Although I'm pretty sure that we have friends that have worked pretty closely with the one in Glen Rose.  That would be neat to go to, as well!

Someone upthread mentioned the Ark Encounter - it opens this summer, so we are planning to do the Ark Encounter & the Creation Museum together. 

Thanks to everyone for the great responses!  I'm off to start googling some more now.  

• Like 1