Menu

Is Apologia Marine Biology "open & go" for an independant student?

So DD is not especially "science-y" but she's done very well with Apologia Biology and Chemistry because she took local tutorial classes/labs that were very helpful! She would like to do Marine Biology next year but there are no classes being offered locally or online (that I know of). I'm trying to decide if it will it be boring and overwhelming to get her the book, lesson plans, and whatever other resources, and let her do the course on her own. I've seen a lesson plan book by Lynn Ericson that has daily assignments broken down and supply lists etc for the labs. I don't mind purchasing the materials but I don't know if there is a better way to do this?

I am not especially into science either (confession) - as in, I can't see myself designing an amazing year of relevant field trips (other than we live near a beach and will go there!) - it's just not my field and she isn't planning to major in science at college either, so this is more just for interest. Any thoughts? What resources are a must if we go this route? Any other Marine Science options that are comprehensive and independent?

• Like 1

Wilson Hill Academy has an online Marine Bio course, if you want to consider outsourcing.

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/biology/

I don't know anything about the class, but I do have the text (Castro). If you want to know more about this book I may be able to help.

Please, can you tell more about it?

I'm not looking for outsourcing science, but am looking for a non apologia marine biology.

There's a materials list in the textbook itself.  We are getting ready to try apologia marine biology this coming year (dd's 12th grade year) using a checklist style lesson planner that is free on the old yahoo group for marine biology.  That group isn't very active and doesn't seem like it much ever was. But there were a few files for helps like that.  I'll send the OP a link to that group via pm.

My dd has used apologia independently for several years.  (using mfw's lesson planners, having the audio version playing while the textbook is open).   I don't know if it will be boring or not.  I plan to get the slide set (home training tools), still debating on any dissections, and a few odds and ends in supplies from there as well.   the text and solutions manual (got those used)

• Like 1

Wilson Hill Academy has an online Marine Bio course, if you want to consider outsourcing.

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/biology/

I don't know anything about the class, but I do have the text (Castro). If you want to know more about this book I may be able to help.

Thank you! We are using Wilson Hill currently for Geometry and somehow I missed that they have this option for science!! What can you tell me about the book? I've only seen the Apologia one (and that's what we've used for her other sciences) but we are certainly open to another option.

Marine Biology

8th Edition (Wilson Hill uses the 9th edition)

ISBN 978 0 07 352416 0

If you google "Marine Biology Castro Syllabus," you will get plenty of hits of colleges using the text. So I suppose that makes it a college level text :)

But it is very accessible to a high school student.

There is not much in the way of questions or exercises. Just two or three critical thinking questions per chapter. I think you can get more by going to the publisher's website, but I am not really sure. My son has Biology this year, and he has a special interest in Marine Bio. He is using this text to supplement the main course, so it is fine for our purposes. I do not really have much need for assignments or questions.

HTH!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1