Menu

Lion Witch & Wardrobe resources!!

MeganW

I am SO excited that my kids are finally old enough to really enjoy The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe!!  I would love to do a fun study out of this, kind of like we did a gazillion years ago with Five in a Row books.  Resources?  Study guides?  Other things that added to your kids' enjoyment / understanding of this book?    My crew is finishing 3rd/4th grades.  Thanks!

Edited by MeganW

I read it aloud.

It is SO good.

We were sorry when it was finished.

Then I said to DD, can you figure out what Bible story this book told?  She thought about it for a while and nailed it.  This was the first time we had read an allegory, and she was tickled to death to figure it out.

Then we went to a Middle Eastern store and bought some Turkish Delight to try--it was as good as the book said.

That was about it.

DD went on to read the rest of the books and we discussed them.  These are so good that I felt like that was all we needed--they pretty much stood alone.

• Like 1

Several years ago, we read through the Narnia series using Roar! A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia.  The author is Heather Kopp.  It goes through every chapter of each book with discussion questions.  There are also essays throughout the book about CS Lewis, literary elements in the books, what CS Lewis actually believed, bad-guys/good guys and their descriptions in the Narnia world, magic/scary children's stories and Narnia topics.  There's probably 15 essays throughout the book besides the chapter summaries and discussion questions.  I thought the book was excellent and my kids really enjoyed it, too.  They especially enjoyed the discussion questions.  

I'm planning to use this again this fall with my 11 year-old and 8 year-old.  I'm going to read one chapter to them and then go through the Roar book with them chapter-by-chapter.   

This was the first time we had read an allegory, and she was tickled to death to figure it out.

Yeah, this had been the first time we ever discussed literary elements, too.  My kids really enjoyed discussing the books.  

• Like 1

There happened to be a LWW ballet locally shortly after we read this. It was fantastic and great timing for my kids. A couple months later we also attended a play at the local children's theater. It only had two actors so it was a little different, but a way for my kids to see the same story told different ways. I know that the likelihood of those being available right now are slim, but if you get the chance, go see a performance.

We are studying the whole series this year. We use ROAR and we also use Further Up and Further In.

Roar is very lightweight. Very! Only a couple of mostly obvious questions to answer.

Further Up and Further In is designed to be a unit study, so there are ideas and activities in many categories for each and every chapter of each and every book: science ideas and writing ideas and history ideas and bible verses to read, etc. If I was the sort of homeschooler who did unit studies, this would be an excellent option.

Since we don't do unit studies, we already have a full load of material to cover in science and writing and history, but I still like FUFI. We might discuss the activities rather than do them. Like perhaps in a chapter where the characters are looking at stars in Prince Caspian, FUFI might suggest to look up information about stars, or to create our own constellation. Sometimes we will do as they suggest, sometimes we won't.

Both books have vocabulary lists of unfamiliar words.

Both books cover all 7 books in the series.

And you must buy this. Must. Required! This is the one we bought (there are a number of choices) and while it's sweet as all get out, it was tasty. The review for others said they weren't as tasty.

Very sweet. And required. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Hazer-Baba-Cherry-Turkish-Delight/dp/B00A8OHSDA/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1461986648&sr=1-9&keywords=Turkish+delight

Edited by Garga