Menu

Help me choose..history/lit

teachingmy3

Help, please!

Background- my kids are 8, 11 and 13. I typically have the older 2 work together on history and science. The 8 and 11 yr old are somewhat advanced. Somewhat. Next year will be our 5th year. Geez, I still don't have this figured out!

I like the idea of combining history and literature. I've looked at Biblioplan, Build Your Library and even Bookshark (not full grade, just hist/lit).

I own Notgrass America the Beautiful and Uncle Sam and I. This also has literature suggestions along with it. Considered this since it's already on my shelf.

I like the looks of Biblioplan because it would be one thing for all 3 kids--just plug them in with what works on their level. But the weekly plan looks confusing. 

But then if I do BYL or BkSk, I feel like I would be doing at least 2 levels. We are Christians but don't need Christian curriculum. Likewise, we aren't turned away by Christian curriculum unless it is new earth.

I don't know if this makes sense but can someone help me gain some perspective. Perhaps you've used one of these and love it or hate it. Maybe you see something that I don't. I would love some clarity.

ETA- I am looking for something that is easy for me to use. I have spent years planning on the weekends and I am done with that. It's great for some, but I just can't do it. :)

Edited by teachingmy3

What have you done in past years? What period of time are you wanting to study?

In years past, we've used SOTW for history. This year we went off on our own and used a unit on WWII from Homeschool In The Woods. The older 2 wanted to study this war, so I went with it. We read a few books on that time period like Number the Stars and The Little Riders.

For literature, we didn't really do much instruction, just read. But my kids love history, so combining the two would be great. 

I am thinking perhaps Year 4 (late modern) for next year to cover the rest of this time period.

Edited by teachingmy3

If you aren't looking for much in the way of literature instruction, why not just pick a couple of books off of the BkSk/SL/BP etc. websites and throw them in as readers with whatever history you want to use? 

Or maybe trying something like the Center for Literature ready readers for a few books and let that cover your lit. Pick 4-6 books or what have you for the year that you can do as either read alouds or read independent for discussion (whatever gets you to the desired level since you have a range), then you can pick whatever easy to schedule history you want. You can always go on with SOTW and add in the activity book. 

I've done the integrated history/literature for the last two years, and although there are somethings I really like about it- I do feel it pins me down on literature choices that come up organically. I am trying this year to free myself up a bit. A good book is a good book whether it matches our history year or not! That's where the Center for Lit has come in handy for me. I get my true lit discussions from there and then use some of the books that come with my program to fufill the history/lit alignment. I am just trimming a bit out of our TOG schedule to accommodate the CfL things. 

That's a good idea. 

I should also say that I am kind of looking for something that is scheduled out. I have 3 kids and 2 to a competitive sport that demands quite a bit of time practicing and traveling. So it makes it all easier to have school structured a little bit...or a lot. If it isn't, it doesn't get done. Sorry, this is just what works for us.

Or maybe trying something like the Center for Literature ready readers for a few books and let that cover your lit. Pick 4-6 books or what have you for the year that you can do as either read alouds or read independent for discussion (whatever gets you to the desired level since you have a range), then you can pick whatever easy to schedule history you want. You can always go on with SOTW and add in the activity book.

I've done the integrated history/literature for the last two years, and although there are somethings I really like about it- I do feel it pins me down on literature choices that come up organically. I am trying this year to free myself up a bit. A good book is a good book whether it matches our history year or not! That's where the Center for Lit has come in handy for me. I get my true lit discussions from there and then use some of the books that come with my program to fufill the history/lit alignment..

I am also looking for lit suggestions, mainly for my 8th grader. I was glancing through the Center for Lit site because you mentioned it.

Have you used the Classic Club DVD's? I am a dunce at lit discussion, but these could possibly be the ticket.

I have not tried those yet, but they are on my list of future buys! :) I actually heard Adam Andrews on a podcast a while back and then searched out more of his talks online which alone are very informative. I've gleaned a lot of info just from those. Then I saw the program in Cathy Duffy's 102 picks for Lit and her review made me bite the bullet and order Teaching the Classics just this week- I am still waiting for it to arrive!

You are going to absolutely love it. :)

I have not tried those yet, but they are on my list of future buys! :) I actually heard Adam Andrews on a podcast a while back and then searched out more of his talks online which alone are very informative. I've gleaned a lot of info just from those. Then I saw the program in Cathy Duffy's 102 picks for Lit and her review made me bite the bullet and order Teaching the Classics just this week- I am still waiting for it to arrive!

I have Teaching the Classics sitting on my shelf. Perhaps I should dust it off and listen to it!

I like Lightning Lit for the years when I just need someone else's schedule. Both of the middle school packs cover a lot of modern literature and would go nicely with SOTW 4. (I couldn't tell if you'd finished using that or not.) If you read aloud, your 8 yo should be able to enjoy these stories. A SOTW4 & LL Lit combination would make for a fairly simple open-and-go year.

• Like 1

I am only familiar with SL, but imagine BkSk is the same- it's definitely scheduled out, but I don't see anyway you're going to be able to combine Cores with all three. And you're right- two Cores is a lot of work. You MIGHT be able to sync the 11 and 13 year old on Core G (or whatever they changed the Cores to be called this year), and they use Story of the World which is a plus for you, but it would seem a little low possibly for the 13 year old......Since you're okay with religious, how about My Father's World? It seems like a trimmed down version that would give you the scheduling you want and then leave room for the readers you want without being overkill. I would imagine it would be much easier for multiple grade levels than BkSk or some of the others since you don't have a lot of time for scheduling. 

Thank you for these suggestions. I will take a look again at MFW. 

Wayfarers might be a good choice too. It is very scheduled and includes all grades with a 4 year cycle. At her website her preview includes all of the sources she uses in a year and the schedule for the first two weeks. Enough for you to get a pretty good sense of how it might (or might not) work for you. I love the content but I struggle following someone else's schedule. Since she is very CM unless you are using her English program she suggests narrations. If you want something more than just narrations you might want to use the questions from Teaching the Classics as others have mentioned.

Link to curriculum previews http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/

Cathy Duffy's review http://cathyduffyreviews.com/unit-studies/wayfarers-history.htm