Menu

Do I want bins for my bookshelves or not? If so, which?

I'm debating. My husband just built 2 beautiful bookcases to me to store the books that have been living in our storage room for the past 10 years. Hooray!

The problem is, I have no idea how to organize them and have them STAY organized. I feel like I want to use some sort of bin to categorize. I already separated them into categories but in the past 2 weeks, my kids have pulled them off and of course they are no longer categorized. I'm not big into color coding the spines so don't really want to do that.

That leaves me with paying a small fortune for expensive bins (Really Good Stuff, Lakeshore, etc) which are all around $3-4 each. OR, the Dollar tree which are white but maybe too big for most of my categories. These bookcases are in my living room and since we have an open concept home, are within view 24 hours of my day. I HAVE to be happy with the outcome here. I don't want my living room to look like a Kindergarten classroom really, but also have got to find a cute way to organize.

I did find these at Really Good Stuff and they're black. So slightly modern yet still would do the job. What do you think? 

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/durable-book-and-binder-holders-black/p/162734/tab/k8/

I could fit 5 on each shelf

Or here are the white dollar tree ones...https://www.dollartree.com/household/storage-organization/Plastic-Locker-Bins-with-Handles/500c541c541p352513/index.pro?method=search

But are these too wide? I could fit 4 on each shelf.

I have those same Dollar tree bins for holding meds and hair care stuff in the bathrooms.  If you look at the close up picture you'll see that the bottom of the bin is much smaller than the top.  I can't see how kids books (already oversized) would fit in them.  Plus they are very flimsy and would not stand up to repeated use.  Pay more and get better quality or do what my sister does and wrap(glued) brown paper around sturdy cardboard boxes (after the kids have colored all over the paper).  She used mostly diaper boxes and such but even Amazon boxes can be reinforced with duct tape. They won't last forever but it's cheap if you already have the boxes.

As for Dollar Store, I also have these, which are bigger but should still fit on a book shelf (I have mine on a wire shelf in a closet and they fit fine) not any sturdier but would hold up for awhile.

ETA, I measured mine that look exactly like the ones I linked above and mine are bigger by about 1.5 inches.... I got them several years ago so maybe they stopped carrying the bigger ones?

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Do you have a Target near you? They have many baskets and bins in various sizes, made from a variety of materials.

I have mixed feelings about bins on bookshelves. I found they were good when my children were little, to corral the picture books and board books that were all various sizes. But now that my kids are older, I prefer to have our paperback and hardback books on the shelf, not in bins.

Either way, you are going to have to teach your kids where to put the books. If they are like mine, they are likely to pile things into the wrong bins. You might still have to spend time keeping things organized the way that you like, but with some kind of container, it's more likely that your bookshelves will look neater, even when the books are jumbled together in the wrong places.

• Like 1

You didn't mention what size the bookcases are, or what kind of books you're talking about, but you could compromise and do something more expensive/sturdy/adult looking on the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 to reduce clutter look, and then chapter books and nice hardbacks on the top portion.

You could also train your children to take just 1-2 books at a time from the top shelves and to replace when done -- maybe have them each make/decorate matching bookmark and bookshelf place holder so they learn to return books to the same spot on the shelf where they found it -- the design on the bookmark in the book they are reading matches the shelf place holder that peeps out of the row of books just a little to mark the spot on the shelf.

For the bottom, can your DH make/install cupboard doors? Then younger children can have fun "rummaging" through chunky books, magazines, and thinner early readers that look very cluttered on a book shelf, and not worry about sorting by category -- just close the cupboard door on it. Having some books that don't have to be organized encourages "free-range" reading, and having some books that do need to be replaced nicely on the shelf helps teach/train orderliness. Win-win! ;)

If doors for the bottom portion of the bookcase aren't possible, what about fabric screens (here's a fabric-covered foam core version), or fabric curtains out of a solid or very subdued print (to reduce "busy" look of a print) that matches your living room decor. Again, that allows the bottom shelves to be "rummage-able" (lol) while not looking cluttered.

Or, if that's not an option, then I would definitely invest some money into good quality baskets, or fabric bins. Or, buy a subdued fabric and cut it to fit and glue around sturdy cardboard boxes. Again, I wouldn't worry about sorting what goes in the bins/baskets.

Just my thought -- and I'm not a decorator by ANY stretch of the imagination! ;) -- but plastic always looks like, well, cheap plastic to me -- great for a kid's room or classroom, but not very adult looking for a living room. And, again, totally just me, but I've always thought that the open-sided magazine holders (the black bins of your first link), look very cluttery. Again, just me, but what helps reduce cluttered look is to put the clutter behind solid doors of a cupboard, or have just a few larger items on a shelf -- boxes with lids, or bins or baskets that are not see-through and almost as tall as the shelf so you can't look in and see clutter.

Hurray for your husband in gifting your family with bookshelves so your books can "live free" now! :) Wishing you the very BEST in finding what works for everyone and looks great! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

They are tall bookcases, adjustable shelves (6). I'm looking to store all of our non-fiction and picture books, but not chapter books. Those are on a bookcase in my boys' room. 

Suzanne-you feel my dilemma. I think black might be a tad better than bright primary colors, but still not great. I looked at woven basket type things (Aldi this week) but they are a little too wide and I have no idea how I'd afix labels.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to use bins either. But I just have no idea how to keep the organized and looking neat, which I so desperately want. Spending over $100 makes me a little ill though, especially when I'm not sure it'll be a long-term solution. The dollar tree ones are white though, and I just think they'll look...well, like they came from the Dollar Tree :-)

...Spending over $100 makes me a little ill though, especially when I'm not sure it'll be a long-term solution. The dollar tree ones are white though, and I just think they'll look...well, like they came from the Dollar Tree :-)

Not that you asked for votes (lol), BUT, if you were... I would vote for whatever inexpensive plastic bins the books will actually FIT in, AND either:

- ask DH to make cupboard doors, or make sliding panels (you'd need to make one shelf permanently fixed to be the top support for a cupboard door or slider panel)

- OR make fabric curtains or screens for the bottom half, and then do artfully arranged stacks and library displays on the top shelves. :)

At our church, where one of the preschool classrooms is also our adult Bible study room on Sundays, we installed fabric curtains on spring loaded cross pieces (think something similar to a shower curtain rod, but shorter) onto the open book shelves.  That way the curtains are easy to pull to the side during preschool, and everything is covered up otherwise.  In your situation I would be inclined to do that with the bottom 2-3 shelves, using a nice heavy fabric that coordinates with either the shelf color (brown velvet?) or the room's upholstery.

• Like 1

I have one more thought for you.  I have white bookcases in my living room.  I bought white metal magazine holders from Ikea.  I organized all of my youngest daughter's school box in them.  I like them better than plastic.   They are white and blend in with my shelves nicely.  They have other colors and styles as well.  It was great having her school books so organized and it kept her from "stealing" them.

Have you thought about these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00324132/

They're thick cardboard.  DH is a librarian and got me some unwanted ones similar to this from his library, and they've worked well.  They're not huge, so I've had to sub-categorize somewhat (short biographies, longer biographies).  I label the bins, and the kids pull one out at a time.  It's worked well for us for a few years now--and these are pretty inexpensive.

• Like 1

Have you thought about these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00324132/

They're thick cardboard.  DH is a librarian and got me some unwanted ones similar to this from his library, and they've worked well.  They're not huge, so I've had to sub-categorize somewhat (short biographies, longer biographies).  I label the bins, and the kids pull one out at a time.  It's worked well for us for a few years now--and these are pretty inexpensive.

Oh, they are here too, with less shipping. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to get more for my home. The ones I linked are wider. http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Flyt-Magazine-file-White/dp/B00QU2EWRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Edited by Renai

I use bins for the subject curriculum. Ex. - math holds the workbook and the teacher's manual and extras that we may need for that unit (like a clock, place cards, etc); Sci - holds the student pages and the books for that unit; etc... I think it is so much easier having a designated place for the curriculum to go.

One shelf that is just for books, I do not use bins, but I do have the books organized. The history books are arranged chronologically with a place holder saying the time period. Science books are group together. Fiction together.

Eta: I got my bins at Lakeshore Learning during the annual back to school sale.

Edited by school17777

FWIW...

If the kids pull them off the shelves and won't return them to the same shelf, what makes you think they will return them to a bin? Not being sarcastic - just been there, done that....

Ha, yes I see your point. I have no idea-I guess I'm just wishing and hoping.

I think the organization is really more for me. For example, the other day we were reading about George Washington and I wanted to pull out a cute biography that I know I have up there somehow. Well, not surprisingly, I couldn't find it. Grrr. I want to have them categorized so that I can quickly pull from my collection when I need to.

I've looked at the cardboard ones and well, I'm thinking cardboard might not suit my living room very well. I'm kind of stuck because I don't want to spend a fortune (in the event that I don't like the categorization) but I want it to look homey and somewhat living-roomish. About the curtains and shelves, I have a sunroom not too far away that has a big storage like unit with doors. That's where we keep a lot of our school materials. These bookshelves are purely for our book collection and there just has to be a way of keeping them neat, doesn't there? Or am I dreaming? :-)

Depends on how many books you have. If you have enough to put on the shelves, spine out, and have some room left over, then no bins. If you have little extra room, then bins. I have extra room and have bought stickers to categorize books. For example, American history may be blue, but the American Revolution may be blue plus red and the civil war may be blue plus green. That way it's easy for even young children to put them back correctly.

I'll be straight with you-  I'd lose my mind.

First? If I had to look at plastic bins instead of spines, I'd be unhappy.  It would also make getting and putting away a book  a two part process.  I may actually be that lazy when it comes to book organization?  

I can tell you what has worked the best for me over the years and if it works for you - great.  And if it doesn't - mentally discard it.

First all books that won't be used this year but I still want access to go on the top shelves.  

Books that are mine that I don't really want kids grabbing but I want within my reach go next.

Official school books, texts, etc, go next.

THEN come all the picture books that I really want them digging into - during "grab a book and read" time.  These are ALWAYS the messiest shelves and require straightening.  However, it is with GREAT foresight, I promise.  I intentionally load these shelves with science stuff, great literature, poetry books, and whatever historical period we're in.  This way I don't have to constantly tell them which books to read but their "free" reading is still intentionally directed.  Bwwwaaa ha ha ha! ;)

So all shelves except the lowest have these:  http://www.amazon.com/Moveable-Plastic-Shelf-Label-Holders/dp/B004VLKYNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462064089&sr=8-3&keywords=library+shelf+labels

I like them more than I thought they would.  Now, if you visit me on a random day, the labels may or may not actually be IN the holders, but they exist and they soothe my harried brain.  And when I feel like relabeling and organizing all over again?  I can and it's painless.

Then there are these: http://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Deluxe-Metal-Bookend-pair/dp/B001B0BFA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462064159&sr=8-2&keywords=metal+book+ends

They work better than you think and are instantly adjustable.  They hold any size book ;) and they don't waste space nor do they block my pretty spines.  It allows me to see all my titles, move around my shelves, and not dig when something isn't where it ought to be.  

These shelves are really school focused.  Pretty much all of the kids have bookshelves in their rooms (not the little girl room) where they keep their chapter book fiction collections.

Just my .02.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3

I'll be straight with you-  I'd lose my mind.

First? If I had to look at plastic bins instead of spines, I'd be unhappy.  It would also make getting and putting away a book  a two part process.  I may actually be that lazy when it comes to book organization?  

I can tell you what has worked the best for me over the years and if it works for you - great.  And if it doesn't - mentally discard it.

First all books that won't be used this year but I still want access to go on the top shelves.  

Books that are mine that I don't really want kids grabbing but I want within my reach go next.

Official school books, texts, etc, go next.

THEN come all the picture books that I really want them digging into - during "grab a book and read" time.  These are ALWAYS the messiest shelves and require straightening.  However, it is with GREAT foresight, I promise.  I intentionally load these shelves with science stuff, great literature, poetry books, and whatever historical period we're in.  This way I don't have to constantly tell them which books to read but their "free" reading is still intentionally directed.  Bwwwaaa ha ha ha! ;)

So all shelves except the lowest have these:  http://www.amazon.com/Moveable-Plastic-Shelf-Label-Holders/dp/B004VLKYNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462064089&sr=8-3&keywords=library+shelf+labels

I like them more than I thought they would.  Now, if you visit me on a random day, the labels may or may not actually be IN the holders, but they exist and they soothe my harried brain.  And when I feel like relabeling and organizing all over again?  I can and it's painless.

Then there are these: http://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Deluxe-Metal-Bookend-pair/dp/B001B0BFA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462064159&sr=8-2&keywords=metal+book+ends

They work better than you think and are instantly adjustable.  They hold any size book ;) and they don't waste space nor do they block my pretty spines.  It allows me to see all my titles, move around my shelves, and not dig when something isn't where it ought to be.  

These shelves are really school focused.  Pretty much all of the kids have bookshelves in their rooms (not the little girl room) where they keep their chapter book fiction collections.

Just my .02.

Ha, thanks for your honesty! I started thinking about the looking at black bins vs. spines thing and I totally see why you'd lose your mind. The question is, can I achieve BOTH organization and pretty spines?

I had never heard of those book shelf labels before. I checked them out but am not sure exactly how they work. Are you saying you categorize your books, put that specific category inside the metal bookends, and then label using the label holders that you linked? This is a lot to ask, but would you be so kind as to send me a picture of your set up? I am a total visual person so seeing it in action would be so helpful. Thanks so much for chiming in with this suggestion. I feel like I've just been waiting for the perfect idea for us, and this might be it IF I can figure out how it works, lol.

ETA: I just looked again and saw the picture of them on the shelf, so I get how they work. I LOVE that! I just wonder how many bookends you have....do you divide each category?

Edited by Meadowlark

I organize like BlsdMama, but try to hide things like Lori D. I can't stand open shelves--it might be fine while things are in use, but any place where I actually relax has to be covered. I have no choice right now but to have some open shelving, but almost none of it is as eye level, and I've positioned it so that I see my bookcases from as few places as possible. When we moved into our house, we had custom bookcases covering one end of the living room, and they eventually had to go. It drove me nuts to have all that stuff staring at me, including books. They were also not symmetrical. (I am not OCD, but I MUST be able to group and cover things, or it overloads my brain). I couldn't easily cover the shelves, and everything was lopsided. They only place I like book spines is in someone else's house or library. I also hate kitchens with glass doors or open shelves. I love cupboards. The custom bookcases had cupboards on the bottom--we happily kept those and added a countertop to them for a finished look.

Anyway, like BlsdMama, I basically don't let my kids have access to everything at once. Some of that is due to space, but it's mostly that I can't stand having so many items exposed. I prioritize what is left out by content (what lines up with current studies), interests of my kids, and reading level. I pack as much away as I can in a closet--books that are between my kids' reading levels go in clear bins up in a closet. We can pull them down easily seasonally just like we do clothes that are in-between sizes. 

• Like 1

I organize like BlsdMama, but try to hide things like Lori D. I can't stand open shelves--it might be fine while things are in use, but any place where I actually relax has to be covered. I have no choice right now but to have some open shelving, but almost none of it is as eye level, and I've positioned it so that I see my bookcases from as few places as possible. When we moved into our house, we had custom bookcases covering one end of the living room, and they eventually had to go. It drove me nuts to have all that stuff staring at me, including books. They were also not symmetrical. (I am not OCD, but I MUST be able to group and cover things, or it overloads my brain). I couldn't easily cover the shelves, and everything was lopsided. They only place I like book spines is in someone else's house or library. I also hate kitchens with glass doors or open shelves. I love cupboards. The custom bookcases had cupboards on the bottom--we happily kept those and added a countertop to them for a finished look.

Anyway, like BlsdMama, I basically don't let my kids have access to everything at once. Some of that is due to space, but it's mostly that I can't stand having so many items exposed. I prioritize what is left out by content (what lines up with current studies), interests of my kids, and reading level. I pack as much away as I can in a closet--books that are between my kids' reading levels go in clear bins up in a closet. We can pull them down easily seasonally just like we do clothes that are in-between sizes. 

Funny, my open bookshelves didn't bother me. Then I read your post, and now they do!

I see your point. I like things tucked away neatly behind closed doors normally too. This might be my one exception. For so long, they were kept in the storage room and I just hauled new ones up occasionally, kind of like seasonal clothes. That worked okay for holiday books, but I just really felt like it was a waste to have all of my non-fiction in a storage room. I think I'm going to go with the book label recommendation upthread. That might help me stay organized enough to look at them all day every day. Your post made me chuckle though :-)

• Like 1

Ha, thanks for your honesty! I started thinking about the looking at black bins vs. spines thing and I totally see why you'd lose your mind. The question is, can I achieve BOTH organization and pretty spines?

I had never heard of those book shelf labels before. I checked them out but am not sure exactly how they work. Are you saying you categorize your books, put that specific category inside the metal bookends, and then label using the label holders that you linked? This is a lot to ask, but would you be so kind as to send me a picture of your set up? I am a total visual person so seeing it in action would be so helpful. Thanks so much for chiming in with this suggestion. I feel like I've just been waiting for the perfect idea for us, and this might be it IF I can figure out how it works, lol.

ETA: I just looked again and saw the picture of them on the shelf, so I get how they work. I LOVE that! I just wonder how many bookends you have....do you divide each category?

I'll try to take pictures (and put back on all the labels, lol, because now they just tend to stay....)

We have - 

Top row: Historical books that are not in the current year rotation.

Next row: Mama books, teacher resources 

Bible resources and special storybooks that are off limits to little hand perusing

Opposite shelf, same row: High school resources, a.k.a., DS

Next row (both left and right) : Upper midde school resources - History, Science, Lit a.k.a., next two DDs

Next row: Elementary science resources   Opposite Shelf: Elementary History Resources  and Literature

Next row: Preschool resources - books on the left loosey goosey and then puzzles, etc.

Games are intermingled as are manipulatives, flashcards, etc.

Almost all of our historical literature and literature is kept in each child's bedroom 

I do not have enough dividers at my house - I think I have something like 8? But I do have an incredible amount of boardgames.  They work the same.