Menu

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

Janeway

Here.  Southern Scotland: an hour by train from Edinburgh, fifteen minutes from the sea and less than two hours from the Highlands, temperate climate with lower rainfall than the west of Scotland, rural house outside of a college town.

That sounds very lovely.

• Like 1

Wyoming.  I've lived in Atlanta for 21 years, and the traffic has gotten progressively worse every single year, but it's just fallen off of a cliff in the last year.  And the heat.  I'm OVER this, and the thought of a state with only 500,000 people in the whole darned thing--ahhhhh.  There are over 700,000 people just in my not-very-big county in metro Atlanta.

I have a good friend who lives in Wyoming and I love to visit there. Big Sky Country and all. But... it's windy. I grew up in eastern Oregon where the wind is so intense I don't know if I could live with wind like that again. I like the outdoors too much and the wind is a real spoiler.

I miss the desert. My soul put down roots in NM, so I'd go back in a heartbeat. That's first choice.

We have periodic opportunities to move to Munich, and I do love it, but the homeschooling laws make it less appealing. London is near the top of the list. Montreal is up there, too, but I might run away as soon as it gets cold. :)

Pretty happy where we are though!

In a deep, dark forest where the sky peeks in through the trees - something out of Hansel and Gretel minus the cannibalistic witch.

(as long as there is a major highway nearby, but out of sight/earshot, and I can get to a major mall, a Target, and a well-stocked grocery store within 15 minutes.... I'm a sucker for convenience)

• Like 1

Why oddly? Maine is a lot like the PNW, except with snow on the coast. :). Culturally it's not so different at all; any local food and microbrew loving outdoorsy type will be right at home here. :) â¤ï¸ Plus you're automatically admitted if you already drive a Subaru. ðŸ‘

It's SO MUCH colder in Maine though.

I love Maine; it's magical.  But OMGosh the cold...

• Like 1

My problem would be actually choosing a single place, and the only way I'd ever move would be if I could move all my kids and grandkids with me.

In the US, these places appeal to me for various reasons:

Asheville, NC

Colorado

On the beach in Florida (gulf side; not Atlantic)

Maine

Seattle area

Hawaii

If I could go outside the US, and I've never been outside the US, so I'm choosing based on things I've seen/read, I'd choose

Scotland

Ireland

Netherlands

New Zealand

I love so many things it would be difficult to choose a single place, but after living away from my grandchildren while dd's husband was in the Navy, I know I'd pick being near those kiddos over anything else, even if it means living in the hottest, most humid, crappiest state in the US. ;-p

• Like 2

Alaska

Ireland

parts of Canada

My criteria are more about the social/political climate (harassment-free homeschooling is a must, non-stupid zoning ordinances also); DH really, really hates the heat here in Georgia.  But I like being able to garden, so there needs to be a gardening season.

I waver on how populous I'd want it to be.  DH ideally doesn't want to be able to see or hear any neighbors.  :D  I like to be able to mingle and withdraw, and would want at least day-trip accessible things like museums.  I don't care much about shopping or restaurants, though.

And we've randomly said, let's move (insert random faraway place).  But the idea of actually trying to get our stuff and our family any farther than across town is daunting and sounds expensive.

My dream is a nice house in Astoria (Queens, NY) where I can walk to hundreds of restaurants and the best bakeries for a fresh loaf of bread and some pastries every morning, sidewalk cafes are everywhere, friendly neighbors on beautiful tree-lined streets are like family, and the N train takes 12 minutes to get to Manhattan where I can wander around doing something different every time.    :001_tt1:  :001_wub:

I don't even know anymore.

Not too long ago, we had the chance to move to Hawaii for a year (or more). Everyone in the family except me voted no. Sigh.

There's a strong possibility the same opportunity will arise for us to go to London for a year and that I'm insisting we take.

Of all the places I've traveled, Namibia had a lot of appeal. Sooooo pretty and empty. But I think I like living in cities too much.

For vacation, I like going to remote areas. But I wonder if I would like living there.

I have this little fantasy that we can trade in the house for two tiny condos. One in our same town and one somewhere else. It would be nice to get away without the work of arranging things and worrying if our destination is really wheelchair friendly or not.

Right here. Well, I'd prefer a house in one of the smaller towns outside of the Denver metropolitan area, but I adore this area. Sunshine, no humidity, mild winters (usually) with tons of snow and delightful skiing or hiking just an hour's drive away. It's my favorite place and I've lived in many places. It would be even better if our parents were nearby.

I'm about to move to the south. I had a list of 3 states that I never wanted to live in. This is one of them. Life's funny like that. :-)

We'll never move anywhere permanently because Dh loves where we live and is closer to his family than anyone I've ever known, but we have talked about moving somewhere for a year. I'd move to Manhattan in a heartbeat, but Dh has a thing for Berlin and likes the idea of sending the kids to public school there to learn German. If we were going to send them to school to learn a language, I figure we might as well make it French and spend the year in Paris? Or Lyon, where I have a few friends? Dh doesn't share my love of France, so that's about as far as we get in the conversation before he decides he doesn't want to go anywhere after all.