Menu

swimming world article featuring the story of a young man with autism...

bettyandbob

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/dylan-hall-described-by-autism-defined-by-swimming/

for anyone interested. 

I'm a big fan of swimming for everyone. I have a son with special needs (in fact he is one of the two young men in the picture). I think the author did a great job getting her message across about the importance of swimming for everyone. 

• Like 3

that's a great article, thank you! 

My youngest lives in the water, or would if he could. I haven't found a way to get him into swimming now that we no longer have a backyard pool.....I really need to seek something out that will work for him. This reminds me to make it a priority; thank you.  

That is a really great article. There was a boy on my kids' high school team this last year with autism and was the absolute team hero. His parents came to every meet, sitting with him and standing behind his block before, during, and at the end of his races. They were incredibly dedicated. My boys learned a ton from their teammate, and I am so glad they had the opportunity to rub shoulders with such a great kid.

That is my message loud and clear too.  Mine has a physical difference so that is my POV, but I have said this over and over.  Swimming is for everyone.  It is the best exercise.  It is the best competition, should they chose that route, it is a team sport, it is an individual sport.  It works all parts of the body, it doesn't matter how much of your body doesn't work or is missing.  I have watched kids on both sides of the block benefit tremendously from having a teammate that isn't 'typical'.  (my daughter hates the word disabled).