Menu

what are baked tacos?

SparklyUnicorn

What I saw on pinterest is that you make the meat then stand the crunchy shells up in a baking dish, fill with meat and cheese, and bake. I guess it would be a time saver if you typically have to fix kids' plates.  We tried it once and the shells got kind of soggy and we ended up eating them with a fork.  We probably did something wrong. g

• Like 1

Baked tacos are when you mix taco seasoning, a pound of cooked hamburger, a can of tomato sauce, and a can of refried beans all together. Sometimes I add diced tomato too. You can make that in advance and store in fridge or freeze if you wish. You spoon the mixture into taco shells in a big baking pan (I use a large rectangular pyrex cake pan), sprinkle with shredded cheese of some sort, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes if it started hot in the pan, longer if you started with cold mixture. Basically, get them hot & melt the cheese until the edges are brown. Serve hot out of the oven with whatever you want: salsa if you want something easy or an entire assortment of cilantro lime rice, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, guac, salsa, and corn if you want to stretch them out for a whole family.  I've never had anyone not love them, even people who say they hate beans.

• Like 2

What I saw on pinterest is that you make the meat then stand the crunchy shells up in a baking dish, fill with meat and cheese, and bake. I guess it would be a time saver if you typically have to fix kids' plates.  We tried it once and the shells got kind of soggy and we ended up eating them with a fork.  We probably did something wrong. g

Ah...yeah I would not want soggy tacos. I bought taco plates with slots. You can fit three tacos on there.  Love those pates.  Although two here like the soft tacos wrapped up more like a burrito and two like crunchy. 

They don't get soggy because the mixture is super thick, not runny.

ETA: you really wouldn't need to bake them at all, but baking them melts/browns the cheese and makes the shells extra crispy, so they're better that way.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2