Menu

End of Year Testing ?

We are in Ohio and have decided to test this year for personal data as well as possibly turning in to the school to fulfill our end of year requirement.  I am just trying to decide which grade level to give my kiddos.  In Ohio, mandatory reporting age is the year they are 6 by September 30.  Therefore, according to when I reported, I have a Kindergartner (july 24 bday) and a First Grader (March 12 bday) but both kids are working above their grade level by at least 1 grade (my 6 year old) and several grades in some cases (my newly turned 8yo).  At which grade level should I test them? Kinder and 1st though that is below where they are working or 1st and 4th which is a general average of the materials they are covering?

Here is my dilemma and why I can't decide; do I want to do a lower test in case they test "terribly" because they are not used to it and then I can at least still show they are passing according to peers to the school district or do I test at where they are generally working and then if the fall below then attempt to scramble and put a portfolio together?

Tests I am considering are the ITBS and the Terranova 2

For turning in to the school only, I would say test at the grade level they are reported to be.

For personal data, I would test at the rough grade level they are working at.

There is a compromise. You can give the ITBS at the level they are working at and get two score reports at different grade levels. So you could give your older the fourth grade test, have it machine scored as though he was a fourth grader for yourself, and have it hand scored as though he was a first grader to hand in to the state.