Menu

"sensing" cars--should I get one for my next car?

Pen

M 24 year old Accord, which I was hoping to hold onto until ds was old enough to learn to drive, is no longer reliable. I need a car that does not have another something going wrong frequently. So in looking at new cars I have become interested in sensing options that are available on cars such as the Honda Civic and Subaru Impreza. Can anyone share any experience about these cars, and the sensing features?

Would they be helpful with an up and coming new driver about to to start driving on a learner's permit in less than a year?

Yes, I think the sensing features are good for new drivers. I was hesitant to replace my old van right before dd16 started driving, but I am happy having the added safety features now.

On the Hondas:

Lane departure warning is good for learning, but can be annoying on certain roads for experienced drivers who may choose to hug the shoulder (luckily it can turned on and off). Also, I would want this on if I was tired and driving at night.

Collision warning is good, too. This doesn't come on unless you need it with Hondas. Again, good to know it is there once new driver is driving on their own.

Blind spot camera for lane changes- priceless- makes lane changes easier, safer. Camera shows full blind spot, car lengths for passenger side lane changes. (I wish they had a camera for drivers side also.)

We had an old accord and odyssey without the sensors, and traded both in for new models at the time dd16 started driving. I definitely feel that it was a good decision and worth the extra money.

• Like 3

No idea about the sensing features, but when I called about how much my auto insurance rates would go up, I was told it would simply be a multiplier of my current rate. So, I asked how to reduce that - outside of discounts, I was told to only have older cars with limited coverage. Since we already drive older cars, that wasn't a problem. Our increase (without the discounts I just found out about) would have been about $800/year. Some friends who just purchased a new car - their increase - $2800. I have a girl and they have a boy, but when I called to get in the estimate about the increase for a new driver, they did not ask at that time whether male or female. So, if it were me, I'll call and ask for specific estimates and factor that into your cost analysis.

• Like 2

I would go for all the accident-avoidance technology possible.

I just have a back-up camera, but I love it to pieces.  To help avoid blind spots, DH brought me this ginormous rearview mirror which helps a lot.

My Mom's car has an alarm that goes off if you try to merge into another car.

I've also heard good things about automated braking systems.

• Like 2

I would also get all the accident-avoidance tech possible. I have a back-up camera, parking sensors, and blind-spot indicators. I love every single one of them, and I would never again buy a car without them unless I were in a desperate situation financially. I really believe that the back-up camera and the blind-spot-warning indicators should be mandatory. I looked at a car with the auto-stop and lane-departure warnings, and I think I'd definitely want those in my next one as well.

• Like 3

Regardless of which car you go with, make sure you teach him to always look over his shoulder to check the blind spot before changing lanes. You can also add extra little mirrors that show the blind spots better. Another tip is to look both ways before driving through an intersection in case someone is running the red light or stop sign.

My dad told me to always drive like people were trying to hit me and it has saved DH and I from many accidents over the years.

• Like 2

In the past I would have said it's not necessary. But with the A pillars getting larger, my vision out the front /side isn't as unobstructed as it was with our older cars.  And the back window is smaller and I have less of a view out the back.  So I LOVE my backup camera, lane departure sensor, and the blind spot monitor.  There are some other safety features on my new Toyota but the above three are probably the ones I need most. 

None of that is a substitute for a skilled and observant driver, but every little bit helps, especially when other drivers might be distracted by cell phones, crying babies, or just be plain old crummy drivers.  

• Like 2

Just wanted to add, for those who cannot afford a new car right now, this is similar to the rear view mirror I have.  It takes a day or so to get used to, but makes a giant difference in terms of seeing your blind spots. (I have a Honda Odyssey minivan, for what it's worth.)   It only costs $11.00.

• Like 1