Menu

Musical roll call

Audrey

Play time!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. I am a musician, and I play...

If you, yourself, play an instrument, check in here!  There's a quickie poll, too. It is a public poll and you can choose multiple instruments.  Feel free to comment and please do add your "other" if your instrument isn't on the list.

:)

I feel like I missed out on the instrument boat.  I began taking group flute lessons in middle school. The 3 other girls in my group quit, and the music teacher creeped me out, so I quit rather than spend any time alone with him.

Obviously I could have picked something up as an adult, but I still wish there had been a comfortable way to follow through as a child.

• Like 1

I learned the clarinet when I was in grade school. Did marching band and concerts with our school. Didn't continue in high school. It's been forever since I've played. My kids want to learn piano so I'm going to have to learn that to teach them.

• Like 1

The piano is my primary instrument. My secondary is viola. However, I also played cello and violin for awhile. I also sing in choir.

My dream is to learn to play the banjo. Yes, it's true.

I've wanted a banjo for years. I can work through a piano piece, or easily play the melody line. I played flute in middle school, and then picked up guitar and drums in college, but just for fun. I played handbells in church for years.

• Like 1

I played piano, organ, accordion, handbells and trumpet/French Horn as well as sang in a choir in my youth. I still regularly play piano and sing at church, and have taken up guitar, conga and bongo drums, violin, and ukulele to varying degrees as an adult.

Playing an instrument is very similar to learning/speaking a foreign language - usually easier to learn when younger and you lose the skills if you don't use them regularly. Also, learning one instrument well makes it easier to learn other instruments. And also like with foreign languages, it's easier to "speak" than write down what you want to say. ;)

• Like 1

I had played violin in school, and picked it up two years ago when my children started taking lessons.  I only have time to practice for 15 minutes a few times a week (in the evening), so I had to find a teacher who would accept my limitations.  Most teachers around here would like their more advanced students to practice for an hour a day -- something that is a lot easier to do when you are a kid!

Even with this minimal practicing, I am a lot more motivated and focused than I was as a teenager, and have far surpassed my earlier skill level.

• Like 2

My main instrument is voice (thank you for including it!). I have also played French horn and handbells. My piano skills are self-taught, and my daughter who's been taking lessons for two years is about to surpass my abilities there.

We got rid of my French horn during one of my pregnancies (I can't remember if it was DD#1 or DD#2), to make room for baby stuff. I didn't play it often, but it makes me sad that I don't have the option any more.

• Like 1

I'm a classical trained pianist and vocalist with proficiency on the flute and piccolo. 

When I taught band, my proficiencies on other instruments was pretty good, however, I haven't taught in years, and not having access to all of those instruments means that I've lost so much skill I wouldn't dream of claiming I still play them.

Oops, Handbells. I still play handbells and occasionally teach them as well.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

Piano, organ (that's my "other"), cello, voice - but what I mainly do now is direct! I've directed church choirs for years. If I'd known earlier how much I would enjoy that, I naught have joined the school choir instead of the orchestra. But I wouldn't give up my orchestra times, ha! No wonder my oldest has so many musical commitments.

I'm super excited to take organ lessons this summer. I can play, but not well. I'm looking forward to dedicating a little time to me! (Practicing counts as me-time, right?)

• Like 1

No saxophone players? My undergrad nephew plays saxophone in college and we are thinking of buying one since hubby can play saxophone though his primary is clarinet.

I feel like I missed out on the instrument boat.  I began taking group flute lessons in middle school. The 3 other girls in my group quit, and the music teacher creeped me out, so I quit rather than spend any time alone with him.

I pick up the flute again when my DS10 started flute lessons last February. We have two flutes anyway so I could do duet. 

I learned the clarinet when I was in grade school. Did marching band and concerts with our school.

My hubby plays the clarinet. He learned in high school band and navy band. He still has his clarinet so he plays for leisure.

• Like 1

Mainly voice, nowadays. My "other" is handbells.  I played in a handbell choir growing up, and when we moved to this area I was lucky enough to find a really good handbell choir in need of a bass bell player.

I also play the tin whistle and fife.....but only for my own enjoyment or when I want to torture the cats a little.

• Like 1

Wellll, I'm too chicken to attempt to play in any sort of professional way (in front of people!), but I learned to play the following passably:

• Piano
  • Violin
  • Trumpet
  • French horn

I started teaching myself classical guitar, but then I moved away from the guitar owner.  If I ever get time, I want to pick that up again.  Also, since I bought my kid a clarinet, I should probably teach myself to play that.  :)

The only one I still play is piano, and only occasionally, as I have too many other things to do.

• Like 1

I play the piano and sing in our church's worship team. Those are my main musical activities. I dabbled in organ years ago but don't play that anymore. In high school I played the bass clarinet, alto sax and baritone sax.

I own a violin that I would love to learn to play someday when I have time. My son and I are also thinking of learning guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Define "play". What level of proficiency are you looking at?

My primary instrument is voice. I play the piano reasonably well. 6 years of violin lessons,but am very rusty and have not played for a while. Guitar sufficiently well to accompany singing, not proficient at classical guitar; have not played for a few years.

• Like 1

I checked the ones that I play or used to play well. Since my bachelor degree was in music and my first career was as a band director, I can play several others, but not well. I don't play much at all these days though. Maybe, I will get back to it after I retire from the science world.

• Like 1

Define "play". What level of proficiency are you looking at?

My primary instrument is voice. I play the piano reasonably well. 6 years of violin lessons,but am very rusty and have not played for a while. Guitar sufficiently well to accompany singing, not proficient at classical guitar; have not played for a few years.

Play = play for fun or professionally or both on a quasi-regular basis OR did so in the past. Proficiency isn't part of the equation.  You can play badly and still enjoy it. :)

OK since you clarified the meaning of "play," I answered the poll.  :)   I did not include "voice" because even though I sing and can even carry a tune, I would not introduce myself as a musician based on my voice.  :)

• Like 1