Menu

Does anyone know anything about the Fulton Science Academy?

Dmmetler

DH's company really, really wants him to relocate to Alpharetta, GA. Like by August 1. There is a possibility he may be able to work remotely (which he essentially does now since the rest of his team is in Alpharetta, but he's still officially classified as working out of the Memphis office-which is being closed permanently July 31), but that clearly isn't what they want.

Anyway, in my panicked searches, this looks like a possible option. DD actually expressed interest in even the local public schools when we looked at house listings "so I can meet people", and there is quite literally NO math or science class that she hasn't taken that they offer. At least this is a K-12 school that seems to have a strong cadre of competition math and science students, which might be a good social fit.

http://fultonscienceacademy.org

• Like 1

It looks like a possible good fit. And while it's more than we might be able to afford with the COL changes, it's in the range where I could reasonably get a job that would easily cover the tuition.

Homeschooling is still also an option (and probably my first choice, because it changes MY life the least), but the social/connecting with others concern is definitely there, and DD has already expressed interest in possibly going to "real school".  If there's a decent option,we need to consider it.

• Like 4

We used to live there, and found the school choices reasonably good. Atlanta has some nice private schools, but transit times make it almost impossible to reach anything outside a 10 mile radius.

One nice thing about Georgia is the college plan (Hope scholarship?). A good high school average guarantees free college, possibly even to GA Tech. There is no age requirement I am aware of.

Alpharetta is a beautiful town, but we hated the socioeconomic status thing going on there.

I used to work in Alpharetta. Housing is crazy expensive, so I commuted 45 minutes (from Holly Springs, in Cherokee County). There is a lot of homeschool support in Cherokee and Cobb counties. I'm currently living on the west side of the metro, but I have thought about moving further north for better STEM support.

What is the maximum commute time your husband will consider?

Ruth

Wanted to add on to my other post - There's some G&T saturday/summer programs at Emory and Georgia State. If the school doesn't work out, maybe one of those will fit the "meet people" button.

About the socioeconomic thing - I've been in a variety of fancy places in my life, but I found the "fanciness" (so to speak) of Alpharetta to be...odd. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly. But you know all the newspaper articles about UMC people going broke over buying new cars, big houses, and keeping up appearances of being super-rich? When I read them I think of Alpharetta. Maybe I'm wrong thinking that, but the place made me want to grab people by the shoulders and say, "You do realize this place isn't all that special, right?"

• Like 1

I've contacted a couple of homeschool groups in the area. There's a Saturday math circle at Emory that may be good, but the drive time may be prohibitive. DD has met the Zoo Atlanta director of Herpetological research (who is also on faculty at Ga Tech), as well as the herpetology head at U. Ga in Athens, and both will be at JMIH. I had a nice talk with a person from the Ga wildlife bureau, and we should be able to get DD's outreach listed as a wildlife education program (under my name since she's under 18) and transfer her field collection permit. I've contacted the herpetology clubs at GSU, UGA, and GA Tech?

It seems possible. A lot of work and chaos, and it really feels like putting all our eggs in one basket. Until this, the official statement was that DH could work from anywhere with a regional office, but the fact that they want to consolidate kind of limits that-which probably makes DA an impossibility. We are hoping that we can get a slightly longer transition so DD can leave her test ponds up through more of the season, and hopefully get her ongoing projects to a stopping point, and be able to set up a new project variant next year.

She's going back and forth between being positive and being very emotional. She melted down during an online class this morning because her microphone wasn't working, which is definitely a stress reaction. Poor kid.

400 is a toll road part of the way between Alpharetta and Emory. It shouldn't get too clogged on Saturdays though. My DH works at Emory and weekend traffic there is not bad. ETA: I hadn't realized it had been 2.5 years since I drove on that part of 400! The last time I drove through, it was still a toll and they were just talking about removing the toll, but I hadn't heard that the decision was made.

I wonder if the CDC has anyone working in the herp field? I would think there would be someone interested in her public education projects anyway.

Ruth

Edited by rutheart

Looked into FSA, and have heard some positive feedback.  AP Bio in 9th is not for the faint-hearted. 

I haven't, however, been able to find anything out about differentiation beyond what is listed online.  I heard that accommodations are limited, but don't know if it's true.

I also have heard that it's a very "Alpharetta" environment, which to me means "Deep South socioeconomic stratification."  If you can hang in a Master's crowd (Augusta), everything will be peachy.

I am on the Board of Fulton Science Academy and one my children formerly went to Fulton Science Academy. The school is designed for advanced and gifted students.  A student's grade level and/or course level placement has more to do with their academic ability and knowledge base, than their age.  We absolutely do not inhibit the forward progression of a student, because of their age. For example, there is a 7th grader taking Calculus. All AP classes are offered and students take an hour of foreign language each day. Students take a MAP entrance test for science, ELA, and math level placement.  It is truly a very connected and welcoming school community that celebrates diversity and teaches its students to respect each others abilities and differences.   Usually, we have a very hard time getting students to leave...they just like being at school. Even on most Saturdays the school looks like it is in session, because so many events are going on. The school offers many summer camps including a BioStem camp run by GA Tech. If you have any questions about the school, I will be more than happy to answer them.

I have another child that currently home schools.  My older child participated in dual enrollment and will enter college next year as a Sophomore. 

Students in Georgia can participate in college or technical school classes as early as 9th grade and earn up to 15 credit hours per semester free of charge, provided that they meet the entrance requirements for the college or technical school. Students are allowed to take summer classes as well.  Books are covered, too.  Typically, students in Alpharetta or Milton will take dual enrollment classes at Georgia State, GA Perimeter College, Gwinnett Technical School, or Lanier Technical School.  GT and Emory will transfer the credits earned from Georgia Tech and GA Perimeter.  The technical schools are a little trickier, but sometimes can be transferred as elective credits. GT will not transfer online college credits.

400 is no longer a toll road, so commuting isn't as difficult as it used to be.  If I need to go into Atlanta, I generally leave by 6:00am or after 9:00am and it is no big deal.  I either leave Atlanta by 3:00pm or after 7:00pm to return home.  I will admit that from 6:30am to 8:30am  or between 4:00pm and 6:30pm is pretty miserable on ALL the highways surrounding Atlanta, 75, 575, 85, 400,285, 20, etc.. It is best to arrange your day to miss the major commute times, but I would think that is the same in all cities.

I live in the Milton/Alpharetta area.   Milton and Alpharetta are expensive areas, but there are reasonable neighborhoods, too.  It is clean, safe, and has a lot to offer.  I prefer Milton, because it has a more rural setting with lots of horse farms, but we are 5 miles from the heart of Alpharetta. I am exactly 17 minutes from Fulton Science Academy.  If this is the area where you choose to relocate, I am more than happy to point you in the direction of reasonably priced neighborhoods, too.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. I've heard good things from some of the parents, too (including the 7th grader doing calculus).

We have actually seriously considered having DH work remotely so DD can attend the Davidson Academy, mostly to give her a social fit, and it sounds like FSAPS may give her that same sort of environment.

At this point, we're kind of at a standstill until we can do a house hunting trip in a few weeks. There is also some question as to where DH's division will physically be. His division is supposed to stay in Alpharetta, but they will be moving to a larger building. We are hoping that they'll know where soon so we can better target neighborhoods.

I would say that the school culture is best described as positive, inclusive, safe, and collaborative with high expectations and goals. The board, administration, parents, and even students have a voice in decision making and work to make it the best learning environment possible.

The school is secular, which is kind of unusual for a private school in our area. I think that we pretty much have all major religions and even the lack thereof represented. We are committed as a community to teaching our students to respect each others differences, regardless of culture, ethnicity, religious beliefs, age, or really any other factor that you can think of. We use the Second Step curriculum for character education to promote such values and characteristics as empathy, kindness, consideration, respect, integrity, responsibility, etc. It is part of our mission for our students to become positive role models and leaders and we take it seriously.

High expectations and academic rigor are well know hallmarks of our program. The school works to challenge students, while still finding ways to engage our students and promote a love of learning. Our academic teams and after school clubs have a lot to do with this. We have young children with extraordinary intellectual abilities, so we have to really work hard to find the correct balance for each student that does not burn them out, supports them at their maturity level, and moves them forward academically at a pace and rigor level appropriate to them. We understand that each of our students is unique and the school is flexible in determining what their individual educational path may look like.

Continuous improvement is another big part of our culture. Our administration is always looking for areas to improve. The attitude is 'What got us here will not get us there, so what is next?' Our school, faculty, and students are really successful, so it is nice that the culture promotes always reaching for the next bar or goal instead of staying in the same place and just applauding. Look for opportunities and you can find solutions or a better way to accomplish the goals.

NO BULLYING is tolerated in ANY form. We protect the learning environment and do not want anything to inhibit a student's desire to attend school or their love of learning. Any issue or concern that arises is addressed quickly. However, we have very few disciplinary type of issues of any kind. I think that has a lot to do with our high level of parent involvement. There is really no division between home and school. Parents and faculty work as partners for student success. Parents KNOW what is going on each and every day. Small class sizes and a very involved, hands on staff have a lot to do with it, too.

Rarely, do you find a school community so connected. We love to play, serve, and work together. Dads and faculty play sports together on Saturdays. Moms and faculty have dinners, teas, and book clubs. We all participate in community service projects together. We look for opportunities to have fun together and we just genuinely like each other.

I could go on since school culture encompasses many different things, but it would take hours. If I haven't addressed a specific aspect of the culture, then please feel free to ask any questions.