Menu

Coding for elementary age

bttrflyvld

My 8 y/o has done some scratch/blockly coding and was bored with it. I ordered a book from Bitsbox and it is awesome. It has you code through heir website using their inventory of objects and sounds, and you pick up coding as you work through the mini games. They have a monthly subscription which we might do. I'm not sure which coding language it uses, but it's fun. Era: it's a simplified JavaScript/HTML 5. http://Bitsbox.com

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

If you sign up for a teacher account at Code.org you can enroll your students into the various courses they offer. After those mine were able to play more effectively on Scratch.

For littles just breaking in games like LightBot, The Foos, and such are great. They have all drag and drop commands and don't require much reading.

Edited by SilverMoon

If you sign up for a teacher account at Code.org you can enroll your students into the various courses they offer. After those mine were able to play more effectively on Scratch.

For littles just breaking in games like LightBot, The Foos, and such are great. They have all drag and drop commands and don't require much reading.

We love lightbot. Will have to checkout foos.Any other suggestions?

We played with the ozobots at the scifest the other week. They were cute and fun. Definitely perfect for budding little coders. I'm not sure how much they cost though.

Scratch is the typical starting point for kids these days, though there are other options. Super Scratch Programming Adventure is a good opening book.

• Like 1