Menu

So, what did you think about the debate? (Let's leave everything else out of it)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post this in the other thread and it was already deleted!

Nothing inflammatory here, so I can cut and paste it :)

I think Senator Biden was incredible! He did an awesome job! He clearly has the experience needed for the job both of VP and President, should he need to step into those shoes, which I hope he doesn't -- just as I hope Governor Palin wouldn't need to do either.

On the other hand, at least to me, it was obvious that Governor Palin had memorized certain key points and that's what she spoke about. Numerous times, I would be listening to her speak, and looking at the question on the screen that had been proposed, and she wasn't answering it.

So I give the win to Biden. A great debate all around and Governor Palin did a good job. But she didn't do anything to reassure me that she could step into the role of being President if she needed to do so and, to me, that's what I most look for in a VP candidate.

Governor Palin was not as bad as I expected but I am not impressed. I thought she relied on packaged answers and was generally vague and even dodged questions. She kept bringing it back to energy which is of course, her strong point. In 4 to 5 instances the question had nothing to do with energy but Palin kept bringing it back.

Biden came off as knowledgeable but also relied on canned answers but not as much as Palin.

I was going to post this in the other thread and it was already deleted!

Nothing inflammatory here, so I can cut and paste it :)

I think Senator Biden was incredible! He did an awesome job! He clearly has the experience needed for the job both of VP and President, should he need to step into those shoes, which I hope he doesn't -- just as I hope Governor Palin wouldn't need to do either.

On the other hand, at least to me, it was obvious that Governor Palin had memorized certain key points and that's what she spoke about. Numerous times, I would be listening to her speak, and looking at the question on the screen that had been proposed, and she wasn't answering it.

So I give the win to Biden. A great debate all around and Governor Palin did a good job. But she didn't do anything to reassure me that she could step into the role of being President if she needed to do so and, to me, that's what I most look for in a VP candidate.

See, now, I feel the exact opposite.

She did better than I expected as well. She didn't crash and burn, however, I didn't like her folksy attitude. I just have this picture in my mind that people running for the highest nations in the land won't use terms like "Joe Six-Pack." :glare:

I'm not voting for her, but I think she tended to dance around the issues quite a lot. Biden had the facts, she was pretty much on the attack the whole time. That must be what she rehearsed: "The white flag of surrender, There you go again, Joe...." and then invoked Alaska. If that was the objective, she was effective. But I didn't hear any substance, and I really wanted to.

astrid

I listened on the radio. I really wanted to come out cheering, "Palin! Palin!" But she sounded tentative and unsure of herself. Her constant return to the fact that she is from an energy producing state felt like she was trying to say, "Look, I have experience! In one area, but I do have experience!"

Biden was good. Confident, pretty straightforward.

The content was not a surprise, from either side, of course.

But I won't be voting for either one of them, so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway.:D

She did better than I expected as well. She didn't crash and burn, however, I didn't like her folksy attitude. I just have this picture in my mind that people running for the highest offices in the land shouldn't use terms like "Joe Six-Pack" and drop their "g's." :glare:

I'm not voting for her, but I think she tended to dance around the issues quite a lot. Biden had the facts, she was pretty much on the attack the whole time. That must be what she rehearsed: "The white flag of surrender, There you go again, Joe...." and then invoked Alaska. If that was the objective, she was effective. But I didn't hear any substance, and I really wanted to.

astrid

Edited by astrid
changed "won't" to "shouldn't"

I thought Palin did really well, and hadn't expected her to. Biden seemed angry and defensive to me at times, but maybe it was just the contrast between Palin's calm, cool and collected countenance. I'm not voting for either by the way, so I'm about as unbiased as they come. :D

I think almost everyone--even the McCain camp, in honest, private moments;)--will agree that she did better than most of us expected. I was surprised at how...restrained Biden was. He's not a restrained kind of guy, but I think that he didn't want to be seen as brow-beating her. They were very respectful of each other and relatively congenial to one another.

She did a great job of emphasizing her outsider status--and really, she can't get much further from DC, can she? Her folksy-speak doesn't really do it for me, but that's just style. On that style point: Why doesn't anyone tell these politicians how to pronounce nuclear?? :001_huh: What is UP with that?? Weird.

When Biden was impassioned, I thought he did better. I felt like I got the real Joe when he mentioned his family and really got choked up. Then I got all weird and motherly and kinda wanted Sarah to say something soothing to Joe and acknowledge his feelings or something. Do men think this way?

Overall, I enjoyed the debate. I don't see it as a game-changer, but I think that Gov. Palin certainly did what she had to do out there tonight. :001_smile:

I listened on the radio. I really wanted to come out cheering, "Palin! Palin!" But she sounded tentative and unsure of herself. Her constant return to the fact that she is from an energy producing state felt like she was trying to say, "Look, I have experience! In one area, but I do have experience!"

But I won't be voting for either one of them, so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway.:D

Amy,

If you're voting third party, your opinion very definately does still matter!! Please don't discount it.

Jen

I thought they both sucked (to use the technical term). Biden was boring and repititive and talked more about McCain then himself. And Palin was all folksy charm with no substance.

I wanted to learn more about them both and to learn what they had upstairs for brains and all I got were numbers about who voted for what how many times and that Biden went to Home Depot and Palin thinks she's a maverick.

I wish one of them had had the courage to present some intelligent, challenging and yes, intellectual responses instead of pander to the idea that people want Joe/Jill Six-Pack running the US government.

As a Canuck, I don't get a vote but shucks, if I did, that debate wouldn't have helped me at all.

I think they were quite fond of each other! It was a much more interesting debate to watch than the presidential debate--better personalities!

I would agree with this wholeheartedly, though perhaps I'd say "more interesting" rather than "better," if you know what I mean. But yeah, I agree: I found both of them more engaging tonight than either of the top dogs was the other evening.

I think all governors of this country need to be sent a memo upon their inauguration: the word is "NuCLEEar."

:glare:

They both did well. I saw the Katie Couric interview and that was too painful ... I had to turn it off. I was expecting very little from Palin tonight. She did pretty well. I had never heard Joe Biden speak. He was more congenial than I thought. In fact, I thought he was a little too congenial and not aggressive enough.

The debate won't impact the election.

I thought they both sucked (to use the technical term). Biden was boring and repititive and talked more about McCain then himself. And Palin was all folksy charm with no substance.

:iagree: with this, too--that there was more style than substance. Perhaps that what made it somewhat more interesting. ;) But I here you, Dawn: At the end you're left wondering, How does this help me make a decision?

Amy,

If you're voting third party, your opinion very definately does still matter!! Please don't discount it.

Jen

Why thank you Jennifer3141! I was being tongue in cheek. I feel very strongly that my opinion is really just about the most important one around, as a matter of fact! :lol:

But some major revelation about the candidates would have had to have been made for me to vote for either one of them, so my opinion on the debate really doesn't matter as far as my vote goes.

You voting 3rd party?

I'm sick of the maverick term.

And I'm not sure I'll ever forget this out-folksying each other than they tried to do. I hope we don't hear "maverick" in any more debates and I'm not sure what they could do to "out-folksy" each other again except maybe start eating a big giant bowl of grits during the next debate. Maybe overalls?

I think that in this debate, *seeing* it added a huge dimension. Palin did not look at all tentative or unsure. She was all confident smiles, looking Biden right in the eye, looking at the camera - she was good. I was irritated by her insistence on jumping off to some other topic than answering the question at hand ... though I seem to remember being irritated by both candidates doing that at the Bush/Kerry debates, too. Or was it Bush/Gore? I have no brain cells left.

I think all governors of this country need to be sent a memo upon their inauguration: the word is "NuCLEEar."

:glare:

They both did well. I saw the Katie Couric interview and that was too painful ... I had to turn it off. I was expecting very little from Palin tonight. She did pretty well. I had never heard Joe Biden speak. He was more congenial than I thought. In fact, I thought he was a little too congenial and not aggressive enough.

The debate won't impact the election.

:iagree:

I agree with you that this debate won't impact the election. Those who've decided to vote for McCain would be pleased with Palin, and those who've decided to vote for Obama would be pleased with Biden.

I don't see this as having any impact on that for the already decided voter, and even for those undecided voters...I think they're going to put more weight on the presidential debates.

Why thank you Jennifer3141! I was being tongue in cheek. I feel very strongly that my opinion is really just about the most important one around, as a matter of fact! :lol:

But some major revelation about the candidates would have had to have been made for me to vote for either one of them, so my opinion on the debate really doesn't matter as far as my vote goes.

You voting 3rd party?

Uh, no. I would if the Green Party ever gets a really good presidential candidate but it's not there now.

Jen

Not only did the moderator do an outstanding job, but both candidates were impressive.

I am a registered Republican who is still an undecided voter, just for the record, btw. My vote will either be for a 3rd party candidate or McCain (I'm still waffling on him).

As always, Senator Biden was impressive. Though I disagree w/ him on principle, I truly do like the guy and admire his years of public service. I also like how he gets passionate about topics. If you were to give points based on rebuttles and positions, he would have likely edged Gov. Palin a bit.

Governor Palin proved herself very well, too. Though she has that Midwesterner type accent, she was still able to articulate well. However, I agreed w/ much of the substance in her presentation. (I stil have a hard time w/ the fact that she is a momma of little ones....this is my issue and struggle w/ her).

Honestly, I was suspicious of the moderator pre-debate, yet I must say that she did an outstanding job! It appeared to me that she was a bit harder on Senator Biden, actually.

I enjoyed the facial expressions on Sen. Biden's face when Gov. Palin rebutted his statements. He looked like he was getting a kick out of her, yet at the same time respecting her.

Overall, I'd give this debate a thumbs up :o).

Blessings,

Camy

I'm sick of the maverick term.

And I'm not sure I'll ever forget this out-folksying each other than they tried to do. I hope we don't hear "maverick" in any more debates and I'm not sure what they could do to "out-folksy" each other again except maybe start eating a big giant bowl of grits during the next debate. Maybe overalls?

Bwaaaaahahahaha!

Here's my formula for the next debate: Dispense with the handshakes and the podiums and the moderator and the stuffy university setting and instead hold the next debate at O'Grady's Pub and stick to arm wrestlin' and :cheers2:. Overalls optional.

Bwaaaaahahahaha!

Here's my formula for the next debate: Dispense with the handshakes and the podiums and the moderator and the stuffy university setting and instead hold the next debate at O'Grady's Pub and stick to arm wrestlin' and :cheers2:. Overalls optional.

LOL!! Or to steal one from SNL's debate parody, go with "McCain's" suggestion of suspending the future debates in favor of pie-eating contests! "Obama" already said he would go for blueberry! :lol:

I enjoyed the facial expressions on Sen. Biden's face when Gov. Palin rebutted his statements. He looked like he was getting a kick out of her, yet at the same time respecting her.

Blessings,

Camy

I agree! I thought his expressions were funny. Almost cute.

See, now, I feel the exact opposite.

I wish that, when asked by the moderator what she would do differently than the current administration, she would have come up with something. Even when asked about her Achilles Heel, she only mentioned her strengths, just as she probably had been coached. She had learned her talking points, but I didn't hear any substantive answers to questions.

astrid

I think Palin did very well, but I got a little tired trying to find an answer to the questions in her responses. I think Biden knew his stuff better-he could explain things with better detail. He would go back and point out what McCain had done and said in the past and Palin started going on about how he, Biden, was pointing fingers to the past like it was a bad thing, when to me, it was telling where McCain stood.

An on-line article said that Palin called the US General in Afghanistan by the wrong name-twice. I think I'd feel better if she kind of knew more about things like that. I really felt more comfortable with Biden's arguments and experience.

Gosh, that was so much more fun than the Presidential debate!

I think that "maverick" and "fundamental" should have been the drinking words of the night.

Also, every time Biden referred to McCain as simply "John" or Palin said "energy".

I think "maverick" should be the chug-a-lug word.

Not that I've ever played such a game.

Palin did better than I expected, but that didn't take a lot. She obviously avoided some of the important questions. While that bugged me and made me say that she did poorly in the actual debate, it probably served her well. It was safer for her to avoid the questions than to try to answer them and have a repeat of the Katie Couric interview.

I was impressed with Biden. He not only was knowledgeable but even refrained from raking Palin over the coals when he could have. I will feel secure with him as vice-president and, even though I don't want to think about it, as president if necessary.

They both did better than I thought they would.

I liked Biden a lot more than I thought I would. I couldn't help but wonder- Why isn't he in the President slot? I thought it was cool when he said he "loves" McCain, but I thought it might not help his campaign as a sound bite! I also thought he seemed very warm and caring when all the families were on stage together. I don't know if your station showed it, but he pulled Sarah Palin aside and spoke to her for several minutes (I wish I could have heard that conversation). They both seemed to treat each other with a lot of respect.

Palin seemed a lot more knowledgeable than I thought she would. I like her folksy way. I've never liked having "Washington insiders" in the White House and I would probably vote for any Governor over a Senator no matter what the party, so I really like her on the ticket.

Overall, I really enjoyed that debate more than the one between Obama and McCain. I'm a big believer in respecting other people's views even if you don't agree with them. I really think all four of these people have the best interest of USA in mind but they just have different thoughts on how to get there. The VP debate seemed like both of them could cross party lines if needed, while the Presidential debate made me think "there are two guys who really hate each other".

Melissa

LOL!! Or to steal one from SNL's debate parody, go with "McCain's" suggestion of suspending the future debates in favor of pie-eating contests! "Obama" already said he would go for blueberry! :lol:

Yeah, I wanna see how these people handle a crisis: cherry or blueberry?! :D

Seriously, though, both Jim Lehrer and Gwen Ifill hit hard on that question of "What ARE you going to give up now that we are going to be sucked into the black hole of the $700B bailout?" (Well, they might not have phrased it QUITE like that.) None of the 4 really gave a plausible answer to that.

McCain: Spending freeze on everything except defense spending, veterans' benefits, and entitlements.

Obama: A spending freeze is too drastic. It'll just...take longer to implement some of our programs.

Palin: Let me tell you about energy programs! We're gonna give you tax cuts!

Biden: Um, we'll cut foreign giving. (There's one I can sneak in: Foreigners don't vote!!)

The politicians say that WE need to wake up to the financial crisis? How 'bout these candidates? Someone please tell them that there's NO MONEY to do all these fab things they want to do. Party's over. It's hard for some of us to believe that we're getting "straight talk" from these people when they refuse to admit this point.

Numerous times, I would be listening to her speak, and looking at the question on the screen that had been proposed, and she wasn't answering it.

Your first point that I quoted is actually a good debating technique, at least in this arena (maybe not for the college debate team): answer the question you want to address, frame the situation, iow take charge of the issue. I didn't see that as a negative.

I think they both did a good job. Some had such low expectations for Palin that anything more will be a win. Others expected Biden to make a gaffe or be too condescending which he didn't do, and they both beat up the other's presidential nominee which is what the vp does. An interesting debate.

Everyone talks about being a heartbeat away, which is worth considering, but I find a more important point is what does this person really contribute here. Biden obviously brings the gravitas and foreign policy knowledge and national experience that Obama needs. Conversely, Palin brings executive experience, reform and energy experience plus outsider's perspective which adds very strong value to her ticket.

You thought Gwen Ifill did a good job????? After her first couple "questions" I asked my dh, "Is there a question in there somewhere?????" I thought she seemed nervous too.

I can't believe somebody said that Palin looked calm and confident! I thought she looked incredibly nervous when she came out and through the first half hour.

No candidates ever answer the questions so I don't hold that against anybody LOL.

I think it's a draw, nothing changed.

Obama: A spending freeze is too drastic. It'll just...take longer to implement some of our programs.

Palin: Let me tell you about energy programs! We're gonna give you tax cuts!

Biden: Um, we'll cut foreign giving. (There's one I can sneak in: Foreigners don't vote!!)

The politicians say that WE need to wake up to the financial crisis? How 'bout these candidates? Someone please tell them that there's NO MONEY to do all these fab things they want to do. Party's over. It's hard for some of us to believe that we're getting "straight talk" from these people when they refuse to admit this point.

Because it's the congress who controls the money. Promises that a candidate makes are empty. I wish every state would fire their current representatives and senators and hire new ones.

I don't at all mind the folksy attitude. I think it's entirely appropriate when speaking to the American people, in a forum like this, or in a campaign speech, etc.

In meeting with foreign heads of state, or at a formal occasion such as a State of the Union speech it would be entirely out of place, and I would expect the leader of the U.S. to be nothing but formal. But for the rest - I have no problem with it.

You thought Gwen Ifill did a good job????? After her first couple "questions" I asked my dh, "Is there a question in there somewhere?????" I thought she seemed nervous too.

I can't believe somebody said that Palin looked calm and confident! I thought she looked incredibly nervous when she came out and through the first half hour.

No candidates ever answer the questions so I don't hold that against anybody LOL.

I think it's a draw, nothing changed.

I think Ifill was painfully aware of how people would analyze every question, statement, or nod she made. She certainly seemed fair to me. I think all 3 of them were more nervous than we can imagine!

I can see your point. For me, though, I just think it was a bit too much "mugging"? Is that the word I"m looking for? I don't know--- the "wink wink" and the "drill baby drill" correction made me think that professionalism isn't her strong suit. I don't know; I wanted more, um, pith. More substance. More meat.

Tastes great! Less filling! :D

wow...gotta go to bed. I"m punchy!

astrid

I think Sarah Palin did fairly well considering that expectations seemed so low.

Biden did really well and I was more impressed with him. I had never really heard him speak before and I think he did very well. His experience showed and he knew what he was talking about and came across as knowledgable about the issues.

I try so hard to be open minded about Sarah Palin. After all I am a registered Republican. But, the winking at the camera, the "doggone it, you betcha, Joe Six Pack, Hockey Mom" stuff just irks me. Also, I haven't heard concrete plans from her or John McCain of what they actually plan to do or how they plan to do it.

I tried, really I did.:001_huh:

I have been undecided until now, but this Chrisian, moderate Republican is leaning more toward Obama/ Biden.

Just don't tell everyone in my church and homeschool group. :lol: