Menu

S/O kids and pjs - What do you wear to bed?

Granny_Weatherwax

I wear a soft cotton shirt (usually full of holes......but that only means it is ultra soft) and undies. Sometimes those have holes, too. Lol! I wear "nice" clothes out of the house, but bedtime is ALL about comfort.

I cannot stand nightgowns; I hate them! I also can't stand wearing anything other than comfy cotton. I told my husband before we got engaged to never expect me to wear "sexy" pjs and/or lingerie.......NOT happening here! ;-)

• Like 2

I wear a soft, old t-shirt, jersey pajama pants, and my scruffy sheepskin slippers before bed. 

When I climb into bed, I kick off the slippers and pants. I leave them by the bed because this is earthquake territory and I don't want to be hunting for shoes and pants if we need to rush outside.

I sleep in the t-shirt and my undies. I hate things twisting around my legs when I sleep.

• Like 2

I can't wear nothing to bed like a lot of you. .... But, more importantly, whatever I wear to bed is whatever I'm wearing in my dreams. No, really.

So... jeans and sneakers or nicer clothes and shoes or ???   :lol:

I'm gonna guess the nekkid sleepers don't share a bed with Fido either...

Not since our dogs passed away, but we still sleep with our cats (one or two pending the night).

We always wore clothes (t-shirts/underwear) when the kids were around though - the same things they wore.  Empty nesting brings perks with it.

• Like 4

I have nothing against sleeping nekkid, but guess what - that's not an option in perimenopause. :P One has to be prepared for anything.

Plus, my bedroom door needs fixed so I can lock it.

Plus, I might as well wait until my kids are old enough to never wake me with the sound of retching etc.

By that time I may be in an assisted living facility. :P Might as well get used to wearing night clothes.

All this. Before kids I was a nekkid woman but once my nights included feelings, diapers, vomiting, croup and random teens I don't know in my kitchen the panties and tank seemed like a good compromise. I wouldn't want to scar one of my kids' friends by accident. ( I try to grab a robe but the sound of random vomiting tends to have me mindlessly bolting through the door praying no one vomited down.the.stairs.)
  • Like 1

Ladies, I wrote young or poor, not both at the same time.  Although neither category is exclusive of the other.  I knew lots of wealthy college students who dressed that way (mostly name brand tanks and shorts, though, esp Victoria's Secret).

I'm not saying my definitions are correct they are just my opinion based on personal experience.  I notice lots of you wear nothing and that never even crossed my mind as an option; it is obviously a valid and popular choice.  :D  

I have nothing against sleeping nekkid, but guess what - that's not an option in perimenopause.  :p  One has to be prepared for anything.

Plus, my bedroom door needs fixed so I can lock it.

Plus, I might as well wait until my kids are old enough to never wake me with the sound of retching etc.

By that time I may be in an assisted living facility.  :p  Might as well get used to wearing night clothes.

This reminds me of a story my doctor told me.  She was an exchange student in France, and one night she heard some odd sounds and a commotion, so she went to investigate.  It turned out the family dog was in labour, and the whole family had gathered round to see.  The parents and kids, all buck naked.

I don't really care if my kids see me naked.  I hadn't thought about the asisted living caregivers, but I guess they can handle it too.  I'll be the weird old nekkid lady.

• Like 6

I have never been comfortable sleeping naked, or sleeping without underwear.  I'm a night clothes person, through and through, be that pajamas or nightgown.  I don't generally wear a nightgown much in winter, but will wear one in summer.  Usually in winter I wear flannel pajamas from Target, and in summer I'll wear the short asian wrap pajamas from Garnet Hill or some sort of nightshirt.   In transition weather (like right now), I'll often wear the long asian wrap pajamas from Garnet Hill.  My body has very little temperature tolerance, so the weight of my pajamas has to be just right, or I'm too hot or too cold.

• Like 1

Ladies, I wrote young or poor, not both at the same time.  ... :D

Whoa... so if I'm no longer young (sigh).  :lol: 

(NOTE that laughing icon as I enjoyed the humor in your post!  In no way am I condemning any aspect of it.)

Even us older (travel) junkies opt to be poor in many other things so we can splurge on our habit.

Either that... or I just plain like my choice (as, I assume, all of us do).  ;)

• Like 1

I don't usually wear anything, I can't stand the feeling of moving around and the cloth of my clothes rubbing against the sheets.

Same here........ so much more comfortable to sleep in nothing.......

• Like 2

Dh buys me cute PJs as gifts - I'm not sure whether it's because he likes me in them, or because he doesn't know what else to buy? I mostly wear cami & shorts sets. I do have some slip-style nighties, but I wear shorts under them anyway because I have little boys who still crawl into our bed at night. 

I guess I'm young and poor then...

Shrug.

I am young and poor!   :D  Ok not too much of either, but I'm youngish and we're tighter than most.  We'll see if [my choice of nightwear] changes.  I do have one set of real silk pajamas that DH got me for Christmas last year.  I don't rock those as much as I ought to...

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

After spending so much time in maternity clothes these past few years, I had been sleeping in a random mix of worn-out T-shirts and stretchy pants or shorts.  Now that our family is complete, I am beginning to get back to the task of becoming my normal self again.  Part of that has been to buy myself some beautiful pajamas and loungewear: flowing, black pajamas with white piping, a long black robe, cute, tailored gowns.  I was actually in tears the first time I put on my new pajamas.  It is hard to explain, but I felt like myself, or like I mattered.  I wasn't wearing the left-overs. 

• Like 2

After spending so much time in maternity clothes these past few years, I had been sleeping in a random mix of worn-out T-shirts and stretchy pants or shorts.  Now that our family is complete, I am beginning to get back to the task of becoming my normal self again.  Part of that has been to buy myself some beautiful pajamas and loungewear: flowing, black pajamas with white piping, a long black robe, cute, tailored gowns.  I was actually in tears the first time I put on my new pajamas.  It is hard to explain, but I felt like myself, or like I mattered.  I wasn't wearing the left-overs. 

Oh, this.  I can't wait to get to that point.  39 weeks and counting... except I don't think we're done yet, so I have at little while before I return to nice pajamas.  But someday there will be an end to gestating and lactating, I think.

• Like 1

If I dreamed what I was wearing in bed, I'd try to sleep in ballgowns :) I want fancy dreams!

I mostly wear nothing or nearly... sometimes something warmer and cozier (pajama pants and a tank top -- no sleeves) when DH is out of town. If I'm somewhere I need to sleep in something I wear a night shirt or short nightgown -- don't like being tangled. I like PJs for lounging.

Edited by theelfqueen

In the summer, I usually wear a nightgown.  My favorite one is a Lands End (I think) t-shirt like nightgown that is so super comfy.

In the winter if I'm somewhere cold, I'm all about either the long flannel nightgowns or PJs.

I like jammies.  Usually though I end up with mismatched pairs.  I don't care as long as they're comfy. :)

I like jammies.  Usually though I end up with mismatched pairs.  I don't care as long as they're comfy. :)

Thanks to this thread, I went and bought pajamas last night. What on earth is the deal with pajamas? At Target they either sold pants without matching shirts, or sets of long-sleeve shirts with shorts, and very few other combinations. After a lot of searching I ended up with something that's okay, though the pants are too long. At least I don't sleepwalk, so I can live with that.

I found some nice pajama options at Nordstrom.  They have free shipping and free returns, too -- so I ordered lots of pajamas, tried them on in my own room, and sent back what I didn't like.  That is the only way I can go shopping with so many littles in the house.  Actually, I shopped that way pre-kids as well.  I hate shopping.

My mother, a nurse insisted that it was good to wear nothing, so you could air out your privates. 

:huh:

I'm with your mom.  I wear nothing because every time I try to wear something at night I end up with the clothes twisting around me and making me feel attacked.

But if I were going to wear clothes I would at least put on fresh underwear for bed.  I mean, if I've been in a pair all day, they are definitely "not fresh anymore", I couldn't imagine stretching them out another  8 hours (in my fantasy life where I actually sleep 8 hours).

Soft pj pants and a large men's tee shirt. Most of my pj pants are capri length. I have one pair of long pants that I sometimes wear in winter (it doesn't often get cold enough to wear them). 

I find pajama/lounge sets comfortable to wear around the house but not for sleeping. I need loose clothes for sleeping. I also can't stand nightgowns because the rise up. I do need my leg somewhat covered in warm weather because dh and ds like the a/c turned down lower than I find comfortable.

I'm gonna guess the nekkid sleepers don't share a bed with Fido either...

My wife mentioned a friend of hers had cats in her bed quite often. Then she got pain that wasn't going away, and her gynecologist pulled a hairball out of her...

ETA: more likely got in her during sex on a hairy bed than while simply sleeping, but still.

Edited by luuknam

My wife mentioned a friend of hers had cats in her bed quite often. Then she got pain that wasn't going away, and her gynecologist pulled a hairball out of her...

ETA: more likely got in her during sex on a hairy bed than while simply sleeping, but still.

This sounds like an urban legend.  I hope it is.  Ew, :scared: :ack2: :ack2:

• Like 1

This sounds like an urban legend.  I hope it is.  Ew, :scared: :ack2: :ack2:

I have no idea. It's not my friend, so all I can say is that neither me nor my wife made it up, but the friend could've made it up. I really don't care either way though, since we don't have pets (allergies).