Menu

Shakespeare, anyone?

Kathleen.

Happy Birthday, William!!!!

What's your favorite play and or/sonnet?  I like the comedies - I can't pick one - because they're all funny.  As for sonnets, I'll have to go with Sonnet 18 - it's just so sweet with great imagery.

What are your favorite things to use or do for learning about Shakespeare?  We're in the midst of getting everything together for a puppet show for "A Midsummer Night's Dream"  - my 10yo's favorite play.

I just found this here and here.  They look interesting.

Have a great day :)

• Like 1

We just went to see Richard III last night at older dd's college -- they gave away 400 tickets for the weekend's run as a celebration.  This week I read an interview with Jasper Fforde (The Eyre Affair, et al) in which he commented that R3 is his favorite.

I'm really partial to Much Ado.

My kids have been in many productions through the years, which has developed their understanding of the language.  I think they follow it much better than I do.  I was glad to have read the SparkNotes on the way to the play last night.

• Like 1

We just went to see Richard III last night at older dd's college -- they gave away 400 tickets for the weekend's run as a celebration.  This week I read an interview with Jasper Fforde (The Eyre Affair, et al) in which he commented that R3 is his favorite.

I'm really partial to Much Ado.

My kids have been in many productions through the years, which has developed their understanding of the language.  I think they follow it much better than I do.  I was glad to have read the SparkNotes on the way to the play last night.

I love Much Ado too.

I've recently discovered No Fear Shakespeare - I think it's the cute cover.  I know in high school we used similar ones.  I enjoy reading Shakespeare, but it's nice to have some help for those unfamiliar words and meanings

:)

I just (knowingly) bought a second copy of the Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare. Having the kids read that while I peruse Asimov's annotations has made Shakespeare really fun for the middle grades.

I am so glad that while my children were still young, someone pointed out to me that rather than "ruin" it, knowing the story and what to expect beforehand really enhances enjoyment. I can totally see myself having made that mistake otherwise.

• Like 2

I love Shakespeare. My favorites rotate, generally the one I have read or watched most recently! We just finished watching David Tennant's Hamlet and it was phenomenal, I liked it better than any other Hamlet I've seen.  I think my favorite play to read is Merchant of Venice . . . but it's the one I've re-read most recently, so that could be why! I love Macbeth but have a hard time finding a movie version that I really like.  Richard III with Ian McKellan is wonderful.  I could go on and on!

There is a new publishing project from The Hobart Shakespeare, modern authors retelling their favorite Shakespeare plays. The first two have been published so far, and they are both wonderful:

The Gap of Time - Jeanette Winterson (retelling of Winter's Tale)

Shylock is my Name - Howard Jacobson (Merchant of Venice, of course)

Anne Tyler and Margaret Atwood will have their versions of The Taming of the Shrew and The Tempest out later this year.  Woo-hoo!

• Like 2

Macbeth gave me nightmares  :O  It is the equivalent of a horror story.

I love Shakespeare. My favorites rotate, generally the one I have read or watched most recently! We just finished watching David Tennant's Hamlet and it was phenomenal, I liked it better than any other Hamlet I've seen.  I think my favorite play to read is Merchant of Venice . . . but it's the one I've re-read most recently, so that could be why! I love Macbeth but have a hard time finding a movie version that I really like.  Richard III with Ian McKellan is wonderful.  I could go on and on!

There is a new publishing project from The Hobart Shakespeare, modern authors retelling their favorite Shakespeare plays. The first two have been published so far, and they are both wonderful:

The Gap of Time - Jeanette Winterson (retelling of Winter's Tale)

Shylock is my Name - Howard Jacobson (Merchant of Venice, of course)

Anne Tyler and Margaret Atwood will have their versions of The Taming of the Shrew and The Tempest out later this year.  Woo-hoo!

Wow, these look really good.  I want to read "Shylock is My Name."  That would make a really good modern movie.  Thanks for all the good titles.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we can see live Shakespeare pretty much every year.  I'm amazed at how much more I get out of the plays now than when I was in my teens or even my twenties, and my favorites have changed greatly over the course of my life, especially as I look at them through the eyes of a parent, not as a child.

• Like 1

Macbeth gave me nightmares   :o  It is the equivalent of a horror story.

Wow, these look really good.  I want to read "Shylock is My Name."  That would make a really good modern movie.  Thanks for all the good titles.

I should probably have mentioned that these are both adult books, I wouldn't hand them to a middle schooler! Definitely rated R.  But so good!