Menu

AP Exams 2016 Check-in

Here is a copy of an email I received this morning. Hopefully you all received the same one.

st_osr_hdr.gif

Dear Parent,

If your child is taking an AP® Exam this year, here is important information about exam scores.

Preparing to Access AP Exam Scores

Your child should sign in to his/her College Board account.

We strongly suggest that all students go to the student AP score website and try signing in to their accounts now to make sure they remember their password. Then, they should save their username and password in a safe place.

At exam time, students must fill in AP answer sheets carefully and consistently — especially name, date of birth, sex, mailing address, and email address.

Getting Scores

In May: Check the student AP score website to find out the exact date scores will be available.

In July: Get scores on the student AP score website. Students will need:

their College Board account username and password; their 2016 AP number (or student ID number if provided on the AP answer sheet)

Sending Scores

In addition to viewing AP scores, students will use this account to send scores to colleges (if they don't indicate a college on their AP answer sheet or if they want to send scores to additional colleges). By sending scores, students can take full advantage of AP by strengthening their college applications and being considered for credit and placement.

Important Links

Student AP score website: Provides information about AP scores and your portal to view scores in July.

AP Exam dates

AP practice questions

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 3

Sigh.  DS is calm - too calm.

He will study only when I assign it.  I've given him several practice tests, and he does not seem to grasp that scoring 45% on the MC portion is not going to cut it.  He does very well with practice FRQs, and I think he thinks that will carry him.

I assign study only once or twice a week - usually because *I'm* panicking about how ill-prepared he is.  If I "made" him study every day, he'd end up resenting me instead of ultimately realizing that he has let himself down.

It helps that for the most part I'm not banking on a passing grade for this test.  It's his first, and the most important aspects are (1) the material itself, which he has learned far better than he would have without this class, and (2) understanding what an AP class *is* and what level of effort and preparation the tests require.

• Like 2

Sailor Dude is looking forward to having AP exams behind him FOREVER!

We've had a love/hate relationship with Advanced Placement.  There have been amazing classes that we'd do again in a heartbeat, but we would never do history of any flavor in the AP format.  For us and our circumstances, AP was the best way to address challenge and leave a traditional paper trail.  I definitely think it helped ds be competitive for college admissions, but I think we did discuss in another thread that while the credits may help you get in to a college, what the colleges will let you do with those credits varies wildly.

Ds has decided not to take the AP Spanish Language exam.  If he does well on his other exams, he will have maxed out the number of transferable credits and only a score of 5 would earn him 3 credits and automatically meet his department's foreign language requirement.  He is going to save himself some stress and take the placement test which should put him in a similar position or maybe just needing to take one more class.

That leaves US History, US Government, Comparative Government, and Microeconomics. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

We drove an hour south for dd to fill in the paperwork this Monday. We were happy to see that the first school (Envi Sci) is a very easy drive from the second school (the other 4 with Psych on the afternoon of ES). Unfortunately there is no place around either school where we can pick her up a decent lunch that day, so I'll have to make sure we have healthy options at home to pack for lunch.

Lang prep is going very well, thanks to Blue Tent Online. She's doing a m/c and 3 essays each week for practice.

Environmental is solid. Psych FRQs vary depending on the topic, though she's pretty solid on the m/c questions. Comp Gov is her very last test, on the second Thursday, and has been pushed somewhat to the back burner, though she's chugging through all the back FRQs.

Calculus, sigh. That is not going well. Many tears :(

• Like 2

My dd is always studying for AP Human Geography it seems, when she is not at pit practice. She goes to the public HS part time and right now is in the symphonic orchestra for the high school musical. They have been practicing 2-3hrs after school for the last two weeks, which ramps up to 5-7hrs (including the weekend!) starting today thru next Wednesday. The musical is next Wed-Sat in the evening. Luckily both of her AP tests are the second week of May so she will have another week to study.

Her AP Music Theory class at the high school seems to be preparing her well for the test. Her teacher is one of the graders for the exam so he has lots of experience with the test. She loves APHG but it seems like a lot of memorization. Once the tests are over her schedule will really open up and hopefully she will have some free time to be a teenager again :)

We are quite lucky that the high school will let students register for any AP test, even if they don't offer a class for it, so she is able to take both tests at the high school. Next year will be AP Environmental Bio, AP English Lang and AP Comparative Govt, I think they offer all but APCG at the school.

Edited by brookspr
  • Like 1

My dd is always studying for AP Human Geography it seems, when she is not at pit practice. She goes to the public HS part time and right now is in the symphonic orchestra for the high school musical. They have been practicing 2-3hrs after school for the last two weeks, which ramps up to 5-7hrs (including the weekend!) starting today thru next Wednesday. The musical is next Wed-Sat in the evening. Luckily both of her AP tests are the second week of May so she will have another week to study.

Her AP Music Theory class at the high school seems to be preparing her well for the test. Her teacher is one of the graders for the exam so he has lots of experience with the test. She loves APHG but it seems like a lot of memorization. Once the tests are over her schedule will really open up and hopefully she will have some free time to be a teenager again :)

We are quite lucky that the high school will let students register for any AP test, even if they don't offer a class for it, so she is able to take both tests at the high school. Next year will be AP Environmental Bio, AP English Lang and AP Comparative Govt, I think they offer all but APCG at the school.

How fun to have your dd playing for a school musical! 

Is AP Environmental Biology a new course?  You are incredibly fortunate to find a school that will let you take any test there. Comparative Government has been a bugger for many of us to find a place to test.  Bring that administrator some cookies!

How fun to have your dd playing for a school musical! 

Is AP Environmental Biology a new course?  You are incredibly fortunate to find a school that will let you take any test there. Comparative Government has been a bugger for many of us to find a place to test.  Bring that administrator some cookies!

Corrected: The class is actually called AP Environmental Science. I'm not sure why I was thinking Bio. My bad!

• Like 1

Dd is pretty calm.  She took AP US Govt and Politics at the high school last semester.  Her teacher is one of the perennial favorites at the school and is also a grader for the exam.  They are having review sessions two times a week with this teacher either before or after school.  I would like her to not just review, but study.  However, she is confident that she will be prepared.  She got an A in the class.  This teacher is known to be a hard grader as he would like all his kids to get 5s. 

• Like 1

All signed up and ready to go. 

I personally am looking forward to going back to the days when I see "AP" and think "Associated Press", but I am still a few years away from that.

A resounding "YES!" to that sentiment.

At the first school dh and I visited (ds's second), I asked about their AP transfer policy.  On paper, the schools ds was looking at appeared to have the same policies, but not so in "real life."  Most of ds's credits would have counted as electives and not done anything to shorten the amount of time in school.

I could have sat down on the floor and cried.  Fortunately, ds will be able to use his AP credits for both his major and his GenEd requirements at his chosen school.

It's difficult to know how it's all going to play out when your kids are high school freshmen and you are considering following the AP path.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 4

Here is a copy of an email I received this morning. Hopefully you all received the same one.

<snip>

I did not get that email, so thanks for posting. I will forward the info to ds. Hopefully he will follow through.

Ds will be taking his first AP test -- Calc AB. We wrapped up the last couple of topics sometime last week, so all his time now is spent on review and test prep. Time management is his biggest problem. And using the calculator. He only started using it a couple of weeks ago and isn't in the habit of using it to compute things quickly.

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 1

Homeschool Codes:  This is from an old PDF I have, if someone has a current, live link, please share!

990199 Alabama
990299 Alaska
990399 Arizona
990499 Arkansas
990599 California
990699 Colorado
990799 Connecticut
990899 Delaware
990999 District of
Columbia
991099 Florida
991199 Georgia
991299 Hawaii
991399 Idaho

991499 Illinois
991599 Indiana
991699 Iowa
991799 Kansas
991899 Kentucky
991999 Louisiana
992099 Maine
992199 Maryland
992299 Massachusetts
992399 Michigan
992499 Minnesota
992599 Mississippi
992699 Missouri
992799 Montana

992899 Nebraska
992999 Nevada
993099 New Hampshire
993199 New Jersey
993299 New Mexico
993399 New York
993499 North Carolina
993599 North Dakota
993699 Ohio
993799 Oklahoma
993899 Oregon
993999 Pennsylvania
994099 Rhode Island
994199 South Carolina

994299 South Dakota
994399 Tennessee
994499 Texas
994599 Utah
994699 Vermont
994799 Virginia
994899 Washington
994999 West Virginia
995099 Wisconsin
995199 Wyoming
995499 Puerto Rico &
U.S. Territories
995599 Outside United
States

• Like 1

How are our AP students holding up with less than two weeks to go?

Here is the exam schedule for those of you who don't have it memorized. :D

From the CollegeBoard site

My dd will be taking AP classes for the first time this fall and I wasn't aware of this schedule.  It looks like each exam is only offered once?  So, I'm assuming that means that my dd cannot take AP CS the same year that she takes AP Spanish Language since it looks like they offered the same day and time.  Is that correct?  

• Like 1

My dd will be taking AP classes for the first time this fall and I wasn't aware of this schedule.  It looks like each exam is only offered once?  So, I'm assuming that means that my dd cannot take AP CS the same year that she takes AP Spanish Language since it looks like they offered the same day and time.  Is that correct?  

Your student will still be able to take both exams, but one of them will have to be considered for late testing.

Or yes, you can take them separate years.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 1

Homeschool Codes:  This is from an old PDF I have, if someone has a current, live link, please share!

990199 Alabama

990299 Alaska

990399 Arizona

990499 Arkansas

990599 California

990699 Colorado

990799 Connecticut

990899 Delaware

990999 District of

Columbia

991099 Florida

991199 Georgia

991299 Hawaii

991399 Idaho

991499 Illinois

991599 Indiana

991699 Iowa

991799 Kansas

991899 Kentucky

991999 Louisiana

992099 Maine

992199 Maryland

992299 Massachusetts

992399 Michigan

992499 Minnesota

992599 Mississippi

992699 Missouri

992799 Montana

992899 Nebraska

992999 Nevada

993099 New Hampshire

993199 New Jersey

993299 New Mexico

993399 New York

993499 North Carolina

993599 North Dakota

993699 Ohio

993799 Oklahoma

993899 Oregon

993999 Pennsylvania

994099 Rhode Island

994199 South Carolina

994299 South Dakota

994399 Tennessee

994499 Texas

994599 Utah

994699 Vermont

994799 Virginia

994899 Washington

994999 West Virginia

995099 Wisconsin

995199 Wyoming

995499 Puerto Rico &

U.S. Territories

995599 Outside United

States

2015-2016 AP Coordinator's Manual

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

Page 19.

The homeschool & self-study code hasn't changed for our state.

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 1

2015-2016 AP Coordinator's Manual

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

Page 19.

The homeschool & self-study code hasn't changed for our state.

Thank you!

I figured they hadn't changed, but I feel better having a link to a current document.

Joan, how did you link the PDF?

I'd like to link a PDF I found that has the online providers' codes as well.

Edited by swimmermom3

Ok, I just got stressed out.  haha

This will be DD's first AP test (HG), and she has been studying a little each day, but I am not sure how much.  As we get a little closer, I have told her that she can take a break from the rest of her studies and focus on prepping.  I just have no idea how she is going to do.  Regardless, it will all be a learning experience and help her in the future with other AP classes.

I don't think we have a college board account, so I need to get on that tomorrow I guess.  Ugh - I feel like I should have known this already.  Hopefully it will be easy and not an issue.

• Like 2

Ok, I just got stressed out.  haha

This will be DD's first AP test (HG), and she has been studying a little each day, but I am not sure how much.  As we get a little closer, I have told her that she can take a break from the rest of her studies and focus on prepping.  I just have no idea how she is going to do.  Regardless, it will all be a learning experience and help her in the future with other AP classes.

I don't think we have a college board account, so I need to get on that tomorrow I guess.  Ugh - I feel like I should have known this already.  Hopefully it will be easy and not an issue.

If your dd has been studying a bit each day and is really familiar with the format of the exam, she should be fine.  Do go ahead and get your CollegeBoard account.

I am beginning to think that most of what I know about homeschooling is an accumulation of everything I have learned through what others have shared on this board. 

• Like 4

Joan, how did you link the PDF?

I'd like to link a PDF I found that has the online providers' codes as well.

I simply copy and paste. 

I can't find the AP Student Pack that has the online provider codes and the college codes. Otherwise, I can link for you.

Don't forget to fill in the college code to send a free copy of the AP scores to the college, especially if your DC is graduating.

• Like 1

I simply copy and paste. 

I can't find the AP Student Pack that has the online provider codes and the college codes. Otherwise, I can link for you.

Don't forget to fill in the college code to send a free copy of the AP scores to the college, especially if your DC is graduating.

Mine is graduating and I was wondering about sending the scores. Now that he has chosen a school, can I send all three years' of AP scores at one time? 

Okay, I just googled and found the 2014 online provider codes (not via the AP Student Pack)

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-online-provider-code-list-2014.pdf

I'll see if I can find the 2015-16 one.

Still looking for the college codes...

Great!  That was the one I was looking at.  Pennsylvania Homeschoolers: 028

College codes are the same as for the SAT, I think.

Edited by swimmermom3

On a similar vein...

We were registering my oldest for his second year of college last night and realized that they STILL haven't given him credit for his AP Latin. BIG MOM SIGH. That was in the back of my mind, but here we are almost through his first year. He's an accounting major, but can use those credits for "general humanities electives."  The CLEPs and other APs where there, but not Latin.

So we filled out the form again and printed out the College Board report and got it in the mail today. The Latin AP is one of the few that they offer a good amount of credit for.

Bottom line -- your job may not be over yet!  He took that exam in 2014. Make sure they get credit if credit is due.

• Like 2

2015-16 AP Bulletin for Students and Parents

If your student goes to their exam location to "bubble" their paperwork ahead of time, this is what they will probably receive.

Know which calculators your students can take in with them.  We were slightly traumatized last year on the morning of the Biology exam while we were trying to locate a "four function" calculator.  Remember, they can't use their phones!

• Like 4

Mine is graduating and I was wondering about sending the scores. Now that he has chosen a school, can I send all three years' of AP scores at one time? 

Yes

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/scores/reporting

"The reports are cumulative and include scores for all the AP Exams a student has ever taken, unless the student has requested that one or more scores be withheld from a college or canceled."

If the college codes are the same for the SAT & AP exams (best to double check on your DS's college website), here's the link for the college codes (beginning on page 20)

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/sat-domestic-code-list-2015-16.pdf

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 1

Okay, I just googled and found the 2014 online provider codes (not via the AP Student Pack)

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-online-provider-code-list-2014.pdf

I'll see if I can find the 2015-16 one.

Still looking for the college codes...

Great!  That was the one I was looking at.  Pennsylvania Homeschoolers: 028

Is there any reason to have the score sent to PA Homeschoolers?  I'd prefer not to, but thought I should ask.

Is there any reason to have the score sent to PA Homeschoolers?  I'd prefer not to, but thought I should ask.

I think it's helpful for the provider to get a sense of how their students do on the test. It's also helpful for prospective parents to see the results.
  • Like 5

DS is busy practicing his Free Response for Computer Science. He's a sophomore and this is his first AP. He is a bright boy, and loves programming, but not a "natural" or quick programmer. It will be interesting to see how he does. I would be happy with a 3 and beyond ecstatic with anything higher.

I think it's helpful for the provider to get a sense of how their students do on the test. It's also helpful for prospective parents to see the results.

Uh ... if DS performs in alignment with his study habits (see my post upthread), the provider won't want parents to know about it!   ;)

An end-of-the-road AP here (Calc AB). My son is about ready to take Derek Owen's final as his final review. He has been working through the Barron's book. 

I've said for years that I wouldn't recommend that my son AP-test out of Calc I at the university level. I thought he should retake it even if he did well on the AP exam. Now I'm rethinking that. He seems to have a very strong grasp on the material, so I'm thinking that it would be redundant to retake the course. I guess we will see what his advisor says at orientation. DS is a declared math major. 

My next son is more of the DE type, so it will be a long, long while before I have to think about AP courses and tests again. I can think Associated Press!! :-)

• Like 3

Sailor Dude is looking forward to having AP exams behind him FOREVER!

We've had a love/hate relationship with Advanced Placement. There have been amazing classes that we'd do again in a heartbeat, but we would never do history of any flavor in the AP format. For us and our circumstances, AP was the best way to address challenge and leave a traditional paper trail. I definitely think it helped ds be competitive for college admissions, but I think we did discuss in another thread that while the credits may help you get in to a college, what the colleges will let you do with those credits varies wildly.

Ds has decided not to take the AP Spanish Language exam. If he does well on his other exams, he will have maxed out the number of transferable credits and only a score of 5 would earn him 3 credits and automatically meet his department's foreign language requirement. He is going to save himself some stress and take the placement test which should put him in a similar position or maybe just needing to take one more class.

That leaves US History, US Government, Comparative Government, and Microeconomics. :tongue_smilie:

I'm curious why you didn't like the AP format for history?

• Like 1

Well, ds is preparing primarily on his own for his AP exams, Computer Science and Calc AB. He thinks he is ready and they are both subjects he already knows just not the format. I plan to make him do the sample exams this week. We have a super busy weekend so need to get things done during the week.

• Like 1

I am fully prepared for my two oldest to receive a "1" on their AP Chem exams.  I don't know how it's scored, really.  They will both do very well on the multiple choice sections, and probably both bomb the free-response sections.  It's a learning curve.

• Like 2

AP Chem is so hard!

So I've heard...but, this is one of those sink or swim moments. They have had zero issues understanding the materials, when they've bothered studying. They key phrase being, "when they've bothered studying." Regardless of the score, we'll be plugging away at chem all summer, and then they will take the SAT2 in the fall. They both have the option of re-taking the AP Chem exam next year. AP Environmental will be a piece of cake by comparison. It's my oldest son's junior year. It's going to be a bear for testing. I had wanted to spread these out a bit more, but they seem to have all coalesced around next year anyway.

• Like 2

We are super excited here because for the first time, AP exams are being offered in our city!  Prior to this year DS and DH have had to make a 5 hour drive and stay in a hotel the night before. 

DS is taking Calc BC, Chem, US History, Micro and Macro Econ.  During the weekend in between he is taking SAT subject tests in Chem and US history :tongue_smilie:.  What he is most stressed about is the SAT subject test in US History!*  Seems to require a crazy amount of "trivia" type memorization  :thumbdown:.  I am seriously wondering if we should cancel that one.  AP Chem is with PAHS and he feels very well prepared - they have done a huge number of practice tests.  Calc BC has been on his own (which sounds completely nuts to me), but he feels very confident about it.  US History has also been at home, primarily using the Fundafunda schedule, which he really enjoyed (he LOVES that Johnson book).  Econ has also been at home.  It sounds like a crazy amount of exams, but if I told you how much free time this child spends each day immersed in music or basketball, it would seem less intense.  So far he feels remarkably peaceful (other than that US History SAT....).

*Edited to add:  Just for those who are planning on the SAT subject test in US History:  DS just took the practice test available in the big CB book and it did NOT have "trivia" type facts - he did fine on it; his only reference prior to that was the Barron's guide.

Edited by rbk mama
  • Like 5

So I've heard...but, this is one of those sink or swim moments. They have had zero issues understanding the materials, when they've bothered studying. They key phrase being, "when they've bothered studying." Regardless of the score, we'll be plugging away at chem all summer, and then they will take the SAT2 in the fall. They both have the option of re-taking the AP Chem exam next year. AP Environmental will be a piece of cake by comparison. It's my oldest son's junior year. It's going to be a bear for testing. I had wanted to spread these out a bit more, but they seem to have all coalesced around next year anyway.

Have they looked over the free response questions from previous years?  I always find it helps to go through the scoring guidelines and also see how the sample responses were graded.  

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/exam/exam_information/221837.html

• Like 2

Have they looked over the free response questions from previous years?  I always find it helps to go through the scoring guidelines and also see how the sample responses were graded.  

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/exam/exam_information/221837.html

Resources have been provided.  We spend a day 2 weeks ago going over them.  But, they haven't actually taken the time to do the free-response portion of the exam (although, I scheduled it).  It will cost me another $30 to skip the exam -- so they are going to take it, ready or not, and hopefully we'll all learn from the experience!  I've got our last full practice scheduled for tomorrow, but we will probably scale it back to just the FR section, so we can focus on how to write out their answers properly for scoring.  We are all learning this together -- but at least I can be happy that they understand the material, right?

• Like 3

First time AP parent here. :)  (Although I've taught AP Chem in the past - funny how the details that need to be known for teaching are NOT the same details that need to be known as a parent! ;) )

I have a potentially embarrassingly obvious question. :)  I'm setting up dd's AP Student account now and, in order to complete her profile, I need either her AP Number or her Student ID.  Where would I find those numbers?

The school code for homeschooling in Canada is 998299 if anyone needs it.  Many countries outside the US have their own unique code instead of just an all-around outside-the-US code.  The homeschool country codes are on p.19 of the AP Co-ordinators manual that Joan linked above:

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 1

First time AP parent here. :)  (Although I've taught AP Chem in the past - funny how the details that need to be known for teaching are NOT the same details that need to be known as a parent! ;) )

I have a potentially embarrassingly obvious question. :)  I'm setting up dd's AP Student account now and, in order to complete her profile, I need either her AP Number or her Student ID.  Where would I find those numbers?

The school code for homeschooling in Canada is 998299 if anyone needs it.  Many countries outside the US have their own unique code instead of just an all-around outside-the-US code.  The homeschool country codes are on p.19 of the AP Co-ordinators manual that Joan linked above:

My kids have always gotten the AP number on the day of the test, when they fill out their test pre-registration.  This consists of doing the name and address info at the top of the answer sheet.  They have also gotten a booklet with their Student AP number.  There are stickers in the booklet with their AP number printed on them.  These stickers are used on the answer sheets.  (And possibly also to mark the test booklets.)

When my kids are testing at multiple schools, they ask to take the student booklet from the first test to use at subsequent test sites so they have the same number.  (I try to let the test coordinators know ahead of time that they will want to take the booklets with them to use at the next school.)  Usually they come home with the booklet at the end of the testing cycle.  They are able to go in after the exams and associate their account with the correct AP student number.

HTH.

• Like 4

I'm setting up dd's AP Student account now and, in order to complete her profile, I need either her AP Number or her Student ID.  Where would I find those numbers?

Mine brought back an AP Number Card after doing the paperwork at the school. The AP Number is found on the card.

• Like 3