Menu

Both nervous and proud

quark

Just so happy for my guy. He is playing with his jazz band of much older musicians at a restaurant tonight. He is on keys. He has performed for large audiences before but they were all within his college. This gig has me feeling so nervous for him. It will be an upscale crowd used to listening to very good musicians while he and his band are obviously still students. But his prof thinks they will be great and why he invited them to perform there. He might even monologue a Charles Mingus piece! In his newly cracking voice! Aargh.

So nervous. So proud. And so clueless about what to wear as I plan to order some food and be one of the audience to support him. DH isn't in town so I have to do this alone. :willy_nilly:

Edited by quark
  • Like 27

What a great opportunity! Just sit back and enjoy.  Stay relaxed, stay steady and smile a lot. You don't want your nerves to spill over and effect your ds. The great thing about playing piano is that it's a really large instrument to "hide" behind. ;)   

Have a wonderful time! 

• Like 1

What a great opportunity! Just sit back and enjoy.  Stay relaxed, stay steady and smile a lot. You don't want your nerves to spill over and effect your ds. The great thing about playing piano is that it's a really large instrument to "hide" behind. ;)   

Have a wonderful time! 

:lol: Loved this, thank you. I'm going to pretend my heart out that I am very calm and cool and confident they will do well and not stumble over a note or over-improvise or that his voice will suddenly change pitch when it shouldn't lol. But my face shows every single emotion. It's so hard to hide. Maybe I should wear shades? :coolgleamA:

:lol: Loved this, thank you. I'm going to pretend my heart out that I am very calm and cool and confident they will do well and not stumble over a note or over-improvise or that his voice will suddenly change pitch when it shouldn't lol. But my face shows every single emotion. It's so hard to hide. Maybe I should wear shades? :coolgleamA:

People eating, chatting - or even listening intently - are probably not even going to notice a stumble. You might, as you've heard the music. Voice crackles on young teens are adorable! I think the fact that your ds's group will look obviously younger than the usual entertainment will actually be in their favour. People are very forgiving and impressed by young, talented musicians doing their best.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

People eating, chatting - or even listening intently - are probably not even going to notice a stumble. You might, as you've heard the music. Voice crackles on young teens are adorable! I think the fact that your ds's group will look obviously younger than the usual entertainment will actually be in their favour. People are very forgiving and impressed by young, talented musicians doing their best.

Thank you wintermom. Feeling reassured!

DS's group is made up of:

• one 13yo (DS, but looks older, about 16-17 is what most people think his age is)
  • three 18+ yos
  • one 25+ yo
  • two 60+ year olds!

He loves the age mix!

• Like 6

What an incredible experience for your son!

Once the first few bars are started, hopefully all nerves will settle and you'll all relax and enjoy this amazing experience and opportunity.

And how wonderful to have such a mixed-age group! Credit to the others in the jazz group for being so non-ageist. I wish more of society didn't focus so much on age and instead focus on the person.

I'm there in spirit with you and I wish you both a fabulous time. :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the well wishes! It went well. He was emcee for his band too and made the audience laugh a few times. He doesn't rehearse these things (much to my chagrin) and sometimes talks like a runaway train but thankfully I think I am the only one holding him under a microscope (because I am mom!). I just smiled like everything was cool ha ha!

It was lots of fun and he really loves doing this. And yes, so glad they are not ageist. Everyone was very encouraging and supportive of him (despite the stumbles and slightly crackly monologue). He gets along very well with older people and it was fortuitous that the crowd was mostly made up of seniors today.

Lawyer&Mom, food was yummy! :001_smile:

Thanks again everyone! :001_wub:

• Like 12

Your son reminds me often of my 24 year old nephew who plays piano, electric guitar and saxophone :) He is in Georgia Tech currently until end of May on exchange programme.

At least you don't need to worry if he gives a speech at friends or relatives' weddings in the future.

• Like 1

Thank you! Not able to multiquote on phone but yes...it IS jazz after all and so dependent on thinking on your feet and savoring the moment. :)

Almost missed class this morning though because it was exhausting. We are both introverts and while we love a good opportunity like this one, it takes so much social energy! It was an amazing opportunity and one that I hope will keep him playing music for life. Thanks again!

• Like 3

So glad that it went well and you both had a wonderful time! I also understand how exhausting it is putting yourself out there with your music. It energizes you, and then wipes you out completely. And being the mom cheering on the sidelines is nearly as emotional! 

• Like 2