Menu

For a mature 8th grader and 6th grader, would you do CLE 8th grade American history?

I am torn between America the Beautiful and CLE Changing Frontiers for my son's 8th grade American history. So far I have had both boys do the same history. I originally planned to let them both do America the Beautiful, which I already bought, but it seems it leans towards younger middle schoolers. Ds13.5 will turn 14 in early fall; ds11.5 will turn 12 in late fall. I wonder if it is better for him to do Changing Frontiers and for his younger brother to do America the Beautiful.

What would you do, America the Beautiful to cut cost, or Changing Frontier for better fit for ds13.5's age and maturity? If it matters, I plan to let him do Notgrass high school world and American history when he is in 9th and 10th grade. Thanks!

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1

I really really really love the Changing Frontiers book but I haven't actually used it yet (helpful right? It was an impulse buy). I'm planning American History for my 6th grader next fall and was thinking we would use it for that. It's a great book and I think it would be best suited for your oldest (and not the best fit for my oldest who will be 11). I probably wouldn't teach out of two books because I'm just lazy that way. I'd find a way to adapt the assignments in Changing Frontiers for your younger child or use America the Beautiful and adjust it up for your oldest.

ETA: Looking at my copy of Frontiers... Your youngest will be 12? I think you would be alright with it. The reading level is probably right on target for that age.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom
  • Like 2

My dh, who is a history teacher, read through some samples of Notgrass for me a few years ago as well as attended a lecture at a homeschool convention by the same author. He was not impressed with his writing style, presentation of material, etc., at all. 

I am going to use CLE next year. I have it, the textbook answer key, and all the LUs here if you have specific questions. I don't see why you couldn't use Changing Frontiers with both students

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 3

My dh, who is a history teacher, read through some samples of Notgrass for me a few years ago as well as attended a lecture at a homeschool convention by the same author. He was not impressed with his writing style, presentation of material, etc., at all.

I am going to use CLE next year. I have it, the textbook answer key, and all the LUs here if you have specific questions. I don't see why you couldn't use Changing Frontiers with both students

Amy, thanks for your input. Are there map activities in the LU? Is the textbook answer key for discussion questions in the text?

I am curious what your high school history plan will be for your dc12. Would you mind sharing?

• Like 1

Amy, thanks for your input. Are there map activities in the LU? Is the textbook answer key for discussion questions in the text?

I am curious what your high school history plan will be for your dc12. Would you mind sharing?

There are quite a few maps in the textbook but not many in the LUs. Yes, the textbook answer key is for the text questions after each section. 

Our state requires 3 credits in SS to graduate, so I've got a little wiggle room with four years. My plan actually is influenced by the fact that I had been considering Alpha Omega's 7th grade course this year and didn't use it. It seems to be a really good overview of non-history social sciences, even including sociology and anthropology. There is a lot of US historical fiction I would like ds to read as well, so I'm going to do the following. 

8th: 1/2 of CLE's Changing Frontiers and 1/2 of 7th grade Alpha Omega's SS course; I will alternate light units and lifepacs. When ds is working on a lifepac on SS, I'll have him reading a historical fiction selection. This half of the AO course includes US Geography. 

9th: the remaining 1/2 of CLE's Changing Frontier and remaining 1/2 of 7th grade Alpha Omega's SS course; Between both years, I will add in enough geography to give him 1/2-1 credit in it. I have a complete Glencoe World Geography curriculum set here I can use. 

10th-12th:

He will get the required credits in World History, U. S. History, and Econ/Government. I will mostly likely use BJU DVD or online streaming for one or more of these credits as well as consider dual enrollment. We have a local technical college and a couple of colleges 20-30 minutes away. 

• Like 2