Menu

Spelling Mastery

Hope in God

My two middle children seem to have some sort of genetic predisposition to be horrific spellers despite the many years of daily spelling workbooks.  I have tried a number of spelling programs and I'm at the point where I need something truly awesome.

I recently heard of a program called Spelling Mastery.  If anyone has experience with this program I would be very interested in hearing how it works.  I would also be interested in hearing about any programs that have worked for you, especially if your children have had spelling difficulties in the past.  

My kids are 10 and 12.  Mild dyslexia as well as dysgraphia may be a concern.

Thanks so much!

Apples and Pears really helped my weak speller, and I know we're not alone in that.

I looked at the program you are talking about (I think I found it) just now. I see that they use a combination approach include morphemic (Spelling Through Morphemes) along with phonics and memory based when applicable.

Apples and Pears takes a morphemic approach primarily, and teaches the few spelling rules that always work. My son's weakness comes through visual memory of words when the rules don't help, and the program helped him with that.

So the Spelling Mastery looks like a possible good pick to me based on its description. I don't know the cost compared to Apples and Pears, and it's possible Apples and Pears may take you further given it looks like Spelling Mastery is to 6th grade, though I'm not positive of that as Apples and Pears isn't a grade level program. I know I felt we needed more spelling after Apples and Pears for my weak speller.  

There are quite a number of Apples and Pears threads around here because a lot of us have found success using it.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

Another vote for Apples and Pears. It's been the only thing that has worked for my 10 year old (and I've tried quite a few). I've never tried Spelling Mastery, though I feel like I've tried everything else out there.  I'm pretty sure I've spent as much money on spelling curricula as I have on math--but I really like math!