Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW16: following in the hms beagle's wake

Robin M

Book #40: The Eagle by Rosemary Sutcliff.  Pre-reading it for Fritz for next year.  I didn't enjoy it very much.  It had good parts, but mostly it was slow and boring.  And there are two more in the trilogy to pre-read.  Yay.

My son and I both loved The Eagle of the Ninth.  Funny how The Boy went on to participate in Roman digs in Britain--the Sutcliff effect!  Sorry that you did not enjoy the book.

• Like 5

Traveling ought also to teach him distrust; but at the same time he will discover how many truly kind-hearted people there are with whom he never before had, or ever again will have any further communication, who yet are ready to offer him the most most disinterested assistance.

And so The Voyage of the Beagle ends.

I was ready for Darwin to return to England after almost 700 pages.  Enough English prejudice!  But then his diatribe against slavery in the last chapter demonstrates that Darwin does not justify reducing human value to that of livestock as do some of his contemporaries.

We are told

(A) traveler should be a botanist...

I want travelers to be bird enthusiasts but that does not diminish botany.

One thing that confused me momentarily was the mention of Napoleon's tomb in St. Helena.  Isn't Napoleon entombed in Paris?  Yes, but when the Beagle was published in 1839, Napoleon's remains were still in St. Helena, that Atlantic island off of Africa where Napoleon had been exiled.  (I honestly thought of the old NYC chestnut of Who is Buried in Grant's Tomb? when Darwin mentioned Napoleon's tomb in this isolated place.)

Moving forward.  I am reading A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry's remarkable play on race that was produced on Broadway in 1959.  More to say on the playwright another day.

• Like 1

Jane, did you mean to post on the Week 17 thread? It's my fault this one resurfaced, it showed up in my "likes" column this morning and I responded to a post, not realizing it was a week-old thread.

Oops! I saw BaW and jumped. I'll fix it. Thanks for the heads up.