Menu

Notgrass users, help me decide what to do

my youngest will be a 7th grader next year.  I will also have 2 in High School.  We have never used Notgrass before but I think I would like to.  My plan is to use the HS government next year with my oldest 2 because it's an election year.  But, I can't decide what to do with my youngest.  I just noticed that Notgrass has a middle school government (but it's a year, vs 1/2 year of HS).  So I thought, maybe I would just put all 3 in government.  But then I thought about using either the new Adam to Us program or the America the Beautiful.

My main question is, I only have 2 years left of Middle school for my son...which of the 3 programs would you choose and why?  

thanks so much.

My son says Uncle Sam is the easier one between it and America the Beautiful, but he thinks might be because he liked it more. ATB has a "lot" of biographical sketches, and that's not a big thing for him (but it also wasn't unusual for him to come tell me some cool fact from the bios, so take that with a few grains of salt). We are doing From Adam to Us next year (7th grade). Uncle Sam is a mix of government and civics. 

I think I read that Notgrass recommends From Adam to Us for 8th grade if you are doing them all, but that might be how it lines up with high school? 

I think it depends on what you have already covered.  If you have done world history for years, but barely touched American, do America the Beautiful.  Or vice versa.  We did Uncle Sam and You this year…. it is pretty unique.  If you haven't done much government/ civics, that is the one I would pick.  :-) 

this spring we will have finished going through SOTW.  But we started it when my youngest was in preschool...and so we haven't gone the quickest through that program.  So I was thinking about doing SOTW 1 with him next year...but I wasn't super happy with that plan either.  I was just "buying time" until high school....but telling myself that it would be ok since he was so young the first time he went through it.

but when I started looking at Notgrass for my high schoolers...I noticed the middle school books and they looked interesting...so I wanted to explore a bit.

We did ATB first (5th) because we had just moved to VA and I wanted to learn American history in such a historical place! This year we did From Adam to Us and will round out with Uncle Sam for gov/civics during the election year. They are great books with beautiful photos--especially FA2U. Ds is a history person and reads historical nonfiction for fun so some of the sections were easy/perhaps glossed over but I think you can only provide so much depth in a year long study of works history!

We both have enjoyed the books and I can see us moving on to the high school books when we're finished

• 3 weeks later...