Menu

Suggestions for middle school logic games

We are in a laid back, more for fun, co-op.  Next year I have said I will teach a logic class.  I was thinking more for younger kids, but I have been asked to make it appropriate for up to 7th grade.  The class would be 1.5 hrs long.  I am not sure how long kids would want to do logic problems on paper and so was thinking about something more game like.  I don't really have any experience in this area other than I loved logic problems as a child (and still do).  Any suggestions of games we could play??

ETA: These kids range in academic ability so I am not talking about a group of all advanced learners.

Edited by LTBernard

I did this class a few years ago. I started with logic word puzzles more like brain teasers. I found them on pintrest and online etc.. Then we did more traditional logic type games from workbooks etc.. (like noodlers - I think from my Mindware) and then every other weeks it was either games or a project. The projects were group challenges like build a tower out of spaghetti. It was a great class and lots of fun. Good luck

• Like 1

I think a lot of math games and puzzles would work for a game-based logic class.

River crossing problems like these (these don't have solutions, but gives you an idea of the puzzle type)

Nim and similar games

Pico, Fermi, Bagel

Check into "recreational mathematics" books (like those by Martin Gardner)

Board/Card games that might work:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf (this is similar to the group game Mafia, but a little more nuanced and fun, and plays a large group of people - there are two editions, and we have and like this one)

Hanabi (co-opertive deductive card game about lighting off fireworks)

Codename (spy game where you have to deduce who is on your side based on code name, and it plays a large group of people)

Hive (tile placement game of strategy that uses chess-like reasoning, but a bit more free-form - I like the pocket size - but it is only 2 people at a game)

Good old standbys Chess, Mastermind, and Clue

Edited by Targhee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...