Menu

IEW Primary Arts Of Language or CLE learn to read

Nzeph01

Hi,

Although I never really post anything, I've been lurking around this community for a few years. I'm thankful I found it as others' posts and experiences have been helpful in my own journey. I have 4 children- 15, 6, 4, & almost 2. 

I tried A Beka this year with my 6 yrs old (K) & my DD is doing ok with it once we start the lesson but sometimes she avoids it like the plague, lol. I'm also not loving it; there are so many extra pieces involved. I didn't buy all the extras except for the short vowel word cards. So, I don't know whether or that's the reason why I feel "blah" about it. I've been hearing a lot about CLE lately & am wondering if it's any different (more cohesive) from Abeka phonics. I do like that there are very few extras to buy. I'm also seriously considering IEW PALS b/c of all the games included. I have mostly read sponsored reviews but can't seem to find anything else. Anyone have any experience with either program? Thoughts? Once done with IEW PALS, at what grade level should the child be reading? What do/did you follow that program with ( since IEW doesn't make anything to follow it)? TIA!

I used PAL with two kids, one advanced (pre-k) and one behind (1st grade). I love it! The first several lessons are full and kind of a slog as a bunch of games are introduced right off the bat, but then it speeds up. I didn't use much of the writing component, and the reading part can definitely be done without it. It gets kids ready to read Frog and Toad, Henry and Mudge, Nate the Great, etc. by the end (so around a 2nd grade level?) I didn't follow it up with anything else as my young one took had finished the Bob books and was ready to just keep reading beginner books. He did do a gentle 1st grade grammar afterwards. My older student stopped doing tutoring with me before we reached the end but I think just doing spelling is all that is needed. The Evan Moor stories and activities workbooks are fun and have some phonics reinforcement in them.

The program teaches both sight words and phonics, but both of my student leaned towards learning by sight do I did add decodable readers (Bob books, Nora Gaydos books, and little Saxon Phonics books) Anything like that would be fine to make sure they are learning to decode and not just memorizing words. It's a great system with enough variety to keep the lessons fun and interesting.

Edited by ondreeuh

I recently started using CLE Learning to Read with my 5yo.  He's on the 3rd light unit (out of 10) right now, and we both love the program.  The only extras I purchased were the word and phrase flash cards.  In my opinion, it is very easy to teach and flows along smoothly.  I used A Beka for my dd's 1st grade year, and I much prefer CLE's program so far.  It is not colorful or flashy so if your child prefers colorful workbooks and readers, it might be a problem.  

Is neither an option?  :laugh:

We are using AAR (All About Reading) with DD and she has come on in leaps and bounds with her reading (ie: from non reading at the beginning of the year to sounding out ever word that she sees and surprising us with what she CAN read). I have stopped using the letter tiles and just write down the letters for her and it's become even easier. So... that would be my vote.

Edited by importswim

I used PAL reading and writing with my then 4 yo who had been begging me to teach him how to read. We loved it! Because he was so young, we spread one lesson out over 4 days then after a couple of months we spent 2 days per lesson. He was reading Bob books after a few months. After a year, he was reading around a second grade level. IEW does have material for reading to follow...sort of. For reading, just keep reading aloud and then choose some books to "analyze." Talk about the story sequence chart which is the basic story breakdown in pieces for a young child to grasp. Then move to Center for Literary education's product....Ready Readers, Teaching the Classics, Worldview Detective...these take you through high school.

The writing component of PAL is a great intro to the heart IEW teaching. Once PAL writing is complete, you move into Bible Heroes, then the Studen Writing Intensives or other theme based books. At some point you'll want to purchase the TWSS which teaches you how to teach writing to 4yo through high school.

I cannot recommend this program enough. It simply works!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a child entering fifth grade who is great with vocab. But I think she could do better with reading, although she had been doing sixth grade curriculum at her school... I need some advise on what workbooks could get her comfortable with advanced reading? I did try IEW, she did not warm up much to it. She writes beautiful poems, and quite an earnest kid :)  But she has been asking me to get some good quality workbooks, I am unable to find any good curriculum based ones. She does read a lot of fiction and non fiction.

Hello,

I have a child entering fifth grade who is great with vocab. But I think she could do better with reading, although she had been doing sixth grade curriculum at her school... I need some advise on what workbooks could get her comfortable with advanced reading? I did try IEW, she did not warm up much to it. She writes beautiful poems, and quite an earnest kid :)  But she has been asking me to get some good quality workbooks, I am unable to find any good curriculum based ones. She does read a lot of fiction and non fiction.

You might want to start a new thread since this one is pretty old. It will likely get you more responses, especially since your dd is 5th grade.