Menu

I think my son would love the school environment

He's my extreme extrovert who is active and love attention. He performs beautifully for others and fights me day and night. He is exhausting because he is on all of the time, if you will. He's expressed an interest in school, but our local school only has a 2-hr pull out enrichment program. That won't be enough for my child who has finished BA 3 during the first half of 2nd grade and Saxon 54 the second half. If he went to this school, I'd want to after school him in grammar, Latin, and math. On top of homework and swim practice.

Would that be even worth it? It would be good for his autonomy and good for me schooling my other kids. But he won't be learning anything in school besides how to write a bunch.

How good is he at sitting for long periods of time, like 45mins stretch?

My DS10 doesn't like sitting still even now so he won't have been happy in our local public school during language arts which is mostly sit down work for the entire 45mins from 1st grade onwards.

My DS11 could sit for hours even in kindergarten so public school worked for his social needs despite academic boredom.

He might thrive.  He might not.  I think this will entirely depend on the child and the school.  In my home, DD definitely is better homeschooling.  DS, my extrovert who loved school and loved having teachers other than me and loved being around lots of other kids and thrived on the structure of school has not done nearly as well as a homeschooler.  Some kids do better in a school setting.

I will say this, though.  In a classroom setting, if he struggles to regulate his behavior (talking a lot, fidgeting, having trouble staying focused on boring clerical work tasks) then a classroom where a teacher has MANY students she/he is trying to educate and manage may not be the best fit. 

Is it possible for him to shadow for a week?  Just a day or two he may only see the fun side, the newness of something different.  Sticking it out for a week may give you both a better idea if this will really work.

Do some schools allow shadowing?

He is pretty cruddy at sitting still TBH. He pesters people, draws all over things, and folds lots of paper airplanes at church. I know he'd finish whatever work early and be required to sit for a bit. BUT, maybe he'd do it for someone else or because of peer pressure?

He has a full neuropsych evaluation we're waiting on to evaluate what's what. Sometimes I think he's ADHD, but other times I think he's just bored. And with how quick he is with everything else and how much he struggled learning to read, I wouldn't be surprised if they told me he was dyslexic too...

He is pretty cruddy at sitting still TBH. He pesters people, draws all over things, and folds lots of paper airplanes at church. I know he'd finish whatever work early and be required to sit for a bit. BUT, maybe he'd do it for someone else or because of peer pressure?

He has a full neuropsych evaluation we're waiting on to evaluate what's what. Sometimes I think he's ADHD, but other times I think he's just bored. And with how quick he is with everything else and how much he struggled learning to read, I wouldn't be surprised if they told me he was dyslexic too...

Some schools still allow shadowing.  Some no longer do because of liability.  You could call and ask.  Honestly, I would wait and see what the evaluations turn up.  If he is dyslexic and has ADHD (and yes he may also be bored, and in fact may also be gifted and bored and have ADHD and dyslexia) you might be better off trying to put him in some other setting, like maybe a University model school or with a tutor or push really hard to find him outside classes where he can develop specific skill sets that would not only keep him occupied in his down time but give him skills to hone for later use in his career.

For instance, DD had trouble sitting still but she took some art classes and now when she has down time frequently she is painting or sketching or creating clay models or weaving or dying Pysanky eggs or making homemade books or building jewelry, etc. etc.  I found what she needed was not just a group art class where everyone does the same thing.  What she needed was one on one targeted instruction in technique so she could apply that knowledge to her own creations.  She also needed exposure to multiple mediums.  We bought her a metal cabinet to keep her art supplies in so others don't mess with those specific supplies.  Her skills improve daily because this is her downtime default and she enjoys it.  It also is helping her hone skills that can be used later (such as with architecture, graphic design, animation, etc.).

If he is good at paper airplanes, maybe you could get him some architecture sets and help him learn how to build them.  You might also look into Youth Digital for programming.  Are there any local kids being homeschooled that could start a robotics club?  Are there any potential sponsors?  What about seeing if there is an Engineering for Kids near you?  Sometimes they will work with homeschoolers for a group rate and better hours.  We got the local one to drop their price significantly last year and we got an extra week's worth of instruction, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be surprised if he is bored in public school and acts out/talks/gets distracted/etc. Most advanced learners with a need for attention cause major issues in a school environment (where one educator is trying to teach 20+ students all the same concept the same way) and is honestly going to better handled and directed in a home environment - 2 hours of enrichment will likely fall light years short of either of your expectations. 

• Like 2

If you're going to be after schooling for academics anyway, why not put him into an environment in which he can actually socialize? The classroom is decidedly not for socialization. Based on what you've said, I think he will be bored in the classroom and act out in ways that leave the school district suggesting medication or a 504 plan. I would aim to add in a few afterschool activities or clubs instead. What's available in your area? Sports teams or Lego club or //fill in the blank// might be a better social outlet for him. Are there any coops or university model schools where you could outsource a bit? Alternatively, does your state allow homeschoolers to attend part day at the public school (PE, art, music, etc.)?

If you're going to be after schooling for academics anyway, why not put him into an environment in which he can actually socialize? The classroom is decidedly not for socialization. Based on what you've said, I think he will be bored in the classroom and act out in ways that leave the school district suggesting medication or a 504 plan. I would aim to add in a few afterschool activities or clubs instead. What's available in your area? Sports teams or Lego club or //fill in the blank// might be a better social outlet for him. Are there any coops or university model schools where you could outsource a bit? Alternatively, does your state allow homeschoolers to attend part day at the public school (PE, art, music, etc.)?

. He swims competitively 2-3 times a week, participates in cub scouts, and spends hours each day outside.

I know that most kids like this end up being difficult in a classroom. I do have him scheduled to have a full rival by a neuropsych to check for any diagnoses I might be missing. There is a school for the highly gifted in the area so I'll see if he qualifies for that too.

• Like 1

I know this varies a lot from place to place, but in my area I've never seen kids sitting around and waiting.  It's often mentioned as something that people fear about homeschooling, but in the schools where I've worked most of the assignments are either things that are open ended (e.g. you can always continue to work on a piece of research or written work), or time bound (e.g. read for 20 minutes, talk to your partner about this book for 5 minutes, do your mad minute math) with some kids getting further in their book or math problems than others.  Or the work is really adult directed (e.g. listen to me read, then turn and talk with your partner, or do this one math problem, write it on your white board and hold it up) so that there might be a few seconds of waiting after each problem, but not the long pauses that people seem to expect. 

For the rare activity (almost always a math worksheet) where there's a point when it's really done, then kids have stuff in their desk that they can always turn to, like the novel they're reading independently, or finishing the artwork for the story they just wrote, or it's set up so that you finish your math worksheet, and then move on to a strategy or fluency game with a friend.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't send your kid to school, or that your local schools work just like ours, just that it may not be what you picture in terms of kids who have finished their work and are just sitting around.  

-- Daria, who was generally the first one finished in my elementary school in the '70's, but used that time to write novels* and read lots of great books. 

*very bad novels, this is not boasting! 

Well, this was in the 70's.... but I had a 4th grade teacher who made us sit with our heads on our desk when we were done.... which was constant for me. The only thing I remember of school with that teacher was the total bordem with my head on my desk (quick student). We weren't even allowed to free read a book.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Well, it's been a few years, but I remember having lots of down time in middle and high school. I used to read a novel per day in my down time. That, and being picked on are what I remember most. I have an almost 12 year old who is fidgety. He can talk and not pay attention, but still somehow hear everything you say. He likes to touch people and is a bit of a distraction at scouts and church. Every time I start thinking about schools. I envision all teacher conferences and suspensions. (We went through it in K already) So, if your DS is similar, I would do as another poster mentioned and find social outlets/activities instead.

He's my extreme extrovert who is active and love attention. He performs beautifully for others and fights me day and night. He is exhausting because he is on all of the time, if you will. He's expressed an interest in school, but our local school only has a 2-hr pull out enrichment program. That won't be enough for my child who has finished BA 3 during the first half of 2nd grade and Saxon 54 the second half. If he went to this school, I'd want to after school him in grammar, Latin, and math. On top of homework and swim practice.

Would that be even worth it? It would be good for his autonomy and good for me schooling my other kids. But he won't be learning anything in school besides how to write a bunch.

Shadowing sounds like a good idea.  Maybe at a couple of different schools just so he can see what's the same and what's different.  Sometimes kids don't believe you when you say that they won't be happy and need to see it themselves.    

Afterschooling is a separate issue....  If he really did want to be in school, does he really need more work after?   It sounds like he's got great after-school activities going on and is a well-rounded kid.  I personally would recommend against afterschooling in things they get in school like Math because it just makes them bored in school.  Latin or another language that they don't get would be a good option, and you could always do it during the summer instead if he's too tired after school.

Edited by tiuzzol2

I personally would recommend against afterschooling in things they get in school like Math because it just makes them bored in school.

Math and science can be afterschooled. Many kids do MOEMS, MathCounts and/or AoPS class to supplement. Very little science was taught in my kids' assigned public school so afterschooling makes sense. Music is another subject that is often afterschooled.

Well, this was in the 70's.... but I had a 4th grade teacher who made us sit with our heads on our desk when we were done.... which was constant for me. The only thing I remember of school with that teacher was the total bordem with my head on my desk (quick student). We weren't even allowed to free read a book.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Schools have changed a lot since the 70s, in some good ways, and some not so good ways. The shift from closed tasks like worksheets to open ended tasks like independent reading is one of the more positive changes IMO.

I am not saying school is perfect or even a good fit for this child, just that in many districts this has changed.