Menu

I need an asynchronous board...

The other thing to remember is that those of us with middle and high school aged kids now may well still have asynchronous kids-but we now know it, own it, and have adapted to it such that we don't need to talk about it much. But if you need someone. who has been there, done that, with a kid who can seemingly go from 2 to about 12 at the drop of a hat, and who reads at an adult level and needs materials to challenge her there and kindergarten writing (for three years in a row)...well, I'm your girl.

• Like 7

No, but there is plenty of asynchronicity here. It's quite the norm for HG and PG kids. Fire away!

Just wanted to add that there are also kids who are not highly gifted who are asynchronous (like my oldest), just so the OP doesn't feel bad if her kid isn't. Not that I feel I necessarily have an accurate answer to how intelligent my oldest is (most recent IQ test put his verbal along the lines of 105 and nonverbal iirc 128, previous one 75 on verbal and 105 on nonverbal while at the same time scoring anywhere from 2nd to 99th percentile on subsections of an achievement test).

And my oldest even flipped some of his strengths and weaknesses over time. At 14.5mo, he scored at the 3yo level for gross motor skills and 2.5yo level for fine motor skills when tested by early intervention, and then at 5.5yo qualified for OT and PT due to gross and fine motor delays. At 3yo he had a 1.5 year speech delay, using less than 20 words (and his receptive language sucked as well, not just expressive), and at 7yo he had a much bigger vocabulary than the average 2nd grader (don't remember score). He still gets OT, PT, and speech.

• Like 3

I am dealing with plenty of asynchrony as well But, the good news is that around 8 years, the obvious ones seem to catch up. But, we still have several asynchronies to outgrow. So, please feel free to post your questions here.

• Like 1

I'm with you! My kids tend towards 2E, and I never quite feel like we fit in anywhere (though I know there are other families here in the same situation).

I do feel like the parents both here and on the learning challenges board are exceptionally tuned into their children's needs and are good at tailoring plans to fit the child.

• Like 3

Just wanted to add that there are also kids who are not highly gifted who are asynchronous (like my oldest), just so the OP doesn't feel bad if her kid isn't. Not that I feel I necessarily have an accurate answer to how intelligent my oldest is (most recent IQ test put his verbal along the lines of 105 and nonverbal iirc 128, previous one 75 on verbal and 105 on nonverbal while at the same time scoring anywhere from 2nd to 99th percentile on subsections of an achievement test).

And my oldest even flipped some of his strengths and weaknesses over time. At 14.5mo, he scored at the 3yo level for gross motor skills and 2.5yo level for fine motor skills when tested by early intervention, and then at 5.5yo qualified for OT and PT due to gross and fine motor delays. At 3yo he had a 1.5 year speech delay, using less than 20 words (and his receptive language sucked as well, not just expressive), and at 7yo he had a much bigger vocabulary than the average 2nd grader (don't remember score). He still gets OT, PT, and speech.

I agree, my kids are plenty asynchronous but do not have sky-high IQ's.

:) thanks! I think it is just hitting me this year again because my older, the particularly asynchronous one, is needing more and more challenging educational outlets (in terms of math, science and some LA) but also needed K level phonics support and handwriting, but then between my 4year old AND HIS life skills needs I feel like I am in the peak of "needs" in terms of one on one assistance... I can't believe I only have two kids... Some days it feels like the must be 7 of them I get run so ragged!

Sorry... I have to run... He can't get his wet shirt off. Kinda a good example of what I am talking about! Ha!

It's asynchrony central here at our place and yes, it is exhausting. And I'm only homeschooling one of my 3 daughters.

I've found this AL board to be extremely helpful and everyone here is very supportive. For the first time ever I feel like I've found some like-minded souls who are traveling similar journeys.

PS I love your goats. We aren't zoned for goats here, sadly. Goats are ridiculously adorable.

• Like 1

:) thanks! I think it is just hitting me this year again because my older, the particularly asynchronous one, is needing more and more challenging educational outlets (in terms of math, science and some LA) but also needed K level phonics support and handwriting, but then between my 4year old AND HIS life skills needs I feel like I am in the peak of "needs" in terms of one on one assistance... I can't believe I only have two kids... Some days it feels like the must be 7 of them I get run so ragged!

Sorry... I have to run... He can't get his wet shirt off. Kinda a good example of what I am talking about! Ha!

I think the hardest thing is not knowing if something really is a problem or just them being "normal" in that area.  With the extreme contrast it's hard to say.  What I like about homeschooling though is that you can work around it.  Nothing needs to stand in the way of progress.  You just get creative in terms of dealing with it.

• Like 5

I'm with you! My kids tend towards 2E, and I never quite feel like we fit in anywhere (though I know there are other families here in the same situation).

I do feel like the parents both here and on the learning challenges board are exceptionally tuned into their children's needs and are good at tailoring plans to fit the child.

This is us too.  I haven't quite found a comfy place to fit, so I read a lot and post occasionally (everywhere!!)  I have one kid that's identified 2e, one that's probably 2e, and one that's hopefully 2e (otherwise he's *just* globally delayed).  And my kids are not HG or PG.  We're just regular ol' G over here.  Even so, we've still got some pretty big asynchronicity going on with an 8 grade level difference between skills in the same kid.  I've had to officially add asynchronous development to my mental top-reasons-we-homeschool list.

• Like 2

Definitely a mom of a couple of 2E kids, one SN kid with an alphabet of issues, one globally gifted kid, 1 strong but avg kid, 2 very avg kids, and a Ker who by all signs is the most gifted of all, but since I am verrrrrryyyyyy low key about academics at this age, she probably doesn't "look" that way at this point by academic levels.

I just post wherever I feel like it. (Not to mention that I have kids who span every age/grade category, as well. ) If you ask questions pretty much on any board, someone is sure to respond with helpful advice. :)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 3

I end up reading all of the boards.  I have 2 high-schoolers (one who is starting to look at colleges); a middle-schooler,  2 elementary kids, and a kindergartener who is possibly 2e.

The forums have been so helpful to me.  Nowhere else could I find homeschoolers who are dealing with the same issues that I am.

us in spades.  DS can swim the mile in competative time, handle HS bio & math in middle school....and the other day was actually panicked because he found himself 'stuck' under a large teddy bear.  Laughing at him did not make the situation better, but I couldn't help it.

• Like 2

us in spades.  DS can swim the mile in competative time, handle HS bio & math in middle school....and the other day was actually panicked because he found himself 'stuck' under a large teddy bear.  Laughing at him did not make the situation better, but I couldn't help it.

Ha :laugh:

Oh, I can relate.

My daughter (just turned 10), generally works about 3-5 years above chronological age across the board in academics. But this doesn't always translate across into other realms of life.

Well, the other day she called out for my help. She had rolled off a mattress on the floor, cocooning herself in the quilt, and wedging herself between the mattress and wall, stuck. Absolutely stuck, with just her head peaking out the top of the tightly rolled quilt.

And yes, I laughed. Possibly quite a bit. And I may have made some comment regarding waiting for the butterfly to emerge ...

PS She's not still there. I did help her unroll her caterpillary self, once I'd had my fun.

• Like 4

Lots of asynchrony here. At least two of mine are 2E. I only have three boys, but every day feels like I'm managing a family of about 7 kids. I often think it's all in my head, but, occasionally, some kind friend (or my mother) will comment that one of mine is more work than two or three of theirs. It makes me feel slightly less crazy. :-)