Menu

Do you refrigerate opened cooking wine?

Jean in Newcastle

I don't buy anything labeled "cooking wine". Over-salted and really disgusting tasting. There are plenty of inexpensive small bottles of wine at the liquor store that will taste WAY better and maybe even be cheaper. I never refrigerate red wine.

Anne

• Like 2

Yeah, avoid anything labeled cooking wine...way to salty and it can impact the caramelization process. If I am using white wineI refrigerate afterward, with the intent to drink. For reds I store in our wine fridge at a higher temp, or for inexpensive reds tend to leave at room temp...

• Like 1

(Bracing for appalled reactions.)  I freeze leftover wine in amounts convenient for cooking.  We don't always drink it all, and I hate to waste it or to open a new bottle every time I make beef stew. 

I may be doing a horrible thing... I don't know. 

• Like 3

I don't think I've bought salty cooking wine since the 90's, and no, I didn't refrigerate after opening.

I currently have half a huge bottle of burgundy for beef bourgernon in the fridge because I knew I'd never drink it quickly enough otherwise.  I have frozen leftover wine before, which is great when you only use wine to cook with.  I'm not anti-alcohol, but too much wine triggers headaches in me, whether it's the sulfates or histamines.

• Like 1

Often if I am cooking with wine I drink it at the same time, so it just gets opened and finished.  If I have leftover wine, I will usually not drink it past that day, so I keep it for cooking, in the fridge.  I don't know if it keeps any better there but at least it doesn't collect fruit flies.

The idea of freezing it into cubes is a good one though, because it still only lasts a little while before it makes food taste not quite right.  I don't think it would be a problem for using it for cooking.  Maybe not dressing, but in stock or something I think it would be fine.

• Like 1

Yes, I refrigerate opened wine. I store it upright.  Sometimes I put it in smaller containers so it will be as close to vacuum-packed as possible. I always re-cork it. I use it for cooking only, and I usually plan to use it within a week to 10 days.

"Refrigerate It

It’s amazing how often people will keep leftover wine on the counter after they’ve recorked it. You wouldn’t do that with food, so don’t with wine. The cool temp can’t stop exposed wine from breaking down, but it can slow the process significantly. "

http://www.winemag.com/2015/05/15/5-tips-for-storing-opened-wine/

Edited by RoughCollie
  • Like 1

Grocery store cooking wine?  I just keep it on the shelf.  I don't have any real reason, except that I guess I think of it along the lines of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce, and I don't refrigerate those.  I'll admit to using actual cooking wine on occasion, but only because in our state, liquor isn't sold in the grocery store and we have only one liquor store in town, and the grocery store and liquor store are on opposite ends of town (and sometimes I don't feel like making the extra trip).  Also, liquor stores in our state are required to be closed on Sundays.

Regular wine, I just refrigerate the white, because that's how it tastes best if you drink it.

• Like 1

I am not able to drink it. I can only use it to cook with since that burns off the alcohol content. (If that changes the answer).

Also - it is a white wine.

I was surprised recently when I did some research on how much alcohol is retained after cooking. It was more than I thought. https://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=ArtJanEnews

• Like 1

Yes, refrigerate white wine. I usually keep white wine in tiny bottles or juice-box sizes for cooking when I don't want to or can't drink the bottle. Freezing it in your typical recipe portions works too. It will go skunky in the fridge after about 5 days or so. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Same, i regfrigerate the white but leave red sealed at room temp. But as I don’t drink much at all these days, I find it more convenient to purchase wine in smaller size containers. That way I feel it’s less likely to go to waste by sitting too long.

You won’t find select vintners packaged that way, but more and more better quality wines are available in smaller portions. 

Zombie thread, but my opinion stands!

11 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I didn't know you could freeze wine! 

Freeze is a strong word.  You kind of get wine slushie, but it's fine for sauces that need only one cup of wine when you're not up for drinking the rest of the bottle.  I LIKE wine when I decide to have it, but we probably only use one or two bottles a month.