Menu

What to know for evals?

We were on the (long) wait list for full neuropsych evals, but there was a cancellation and we got in much sooner. I am happy for this, of course, but it also throws me off because I thought I would have months more to prepare for what the evals are really all about and what to expect. DH and I have the initial meeting the 18th, then DD7 has the all day appt the following week. 

So....what should I expect? What are they going to want to know at that meeting? I don't do well on the spot. I am horrible at trivia games, even on topics I know very well. Often when doctors ask me a question, I have a very hard time thinking of the answer, my mind just goes blank. So maybe if I have an idea of what will be discussed I can pull my thoughts together better. 

Is there anything *I* should be asking them? Because I wouldn't even know what to ask right now. 

What should I tell or not tell DD about the appt? 

Is there anything in particular I really need to know before this begins? 

• Like 1

I have no idea if this is typical, but at our "initial" meeting before the actual testing, the Psych wanted me to essentially tell her everything I had concerns about. All the behavior problems, weird things we had noticed, etc. She asked some follow up questions for clarification, but it was really mostly me talking.

Then during the actual appointment I had to fill out about seven different questionnaires about DS7's behavior, development, etc. I don't think there would have been many "questions" directed at me at all at this appointment had I not let them know j wanted to update them on some new behavior problems we had seen in DS7 between the initial appointment and the actual testing. (It was about six weeks in between...part of the delay was they had to get insurance approval in between).

My DS knew/knows he has behavior struggles (our primary concern was ADHD - no learning difficulties), so I told him part of the reason for the testing was to find out how we could help him with his "anger issues" as he himself calls it (that's not his only struggle, but one that is obvious even to himself at age 7!) and to find out more about his strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

Congrats on getting the quicker appt!  That must be a relief, even if it is nerve wracking now.  Obviously you have your basics, like make a list of things you're concerned about (behaviors, quirks, things about educating her, anything you've noticed).  The other thing you can do though that is really helpful is just behavior log for a week.  You have time.  Literally just keep a pad open and write things down.  I find a lot of things slip my mind.  For me, just actually logging behaviors (which I did as antecedent, behavior, consequence) allowed me to see patterns.  So then you'll remember more things to bring up, because you'll actually have that data.

Hopefully they'll use some good thorough questionaires on you, and hopefully you'll get to take them home and take your time.  Do you like talking with the psych?  Is he easy to talk with?  Does he rush you or cut you off?  The psych I used with dd was fabulous for listening.  The psych1 I used with ds would do like you're saying, asking a question while reading papers, rushing you, answering for you if you took to long.  Absolute jerk, even if he is widely respected.  And, needless to say, he blew us off, didn't gather enough info, and gave us a totally STUPID conclusion that delayed getting a more accurate diagnosis.

Spending a full day is great!  Is it a team thing, with OT, SLP, etc.?  Or just psych?  Either way, that's good.  I hope it gets you the answers you need.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Met the doctor today. I liked her a lot. She asked a lot of questions and listened to our answers. She asked after every subsection of info if we had anything to add. She took a lot of notes. They emailed a long history report to fill out ahead of time and that really helped because it got me thinking about all the little things she ended up asking about. 

DD goes in next week. Doc will be doing an IQ assessment, the ADOS, and also looking into anxiety. It will be just the neuropsych and we'll be there all day. 

• Like 2

Met the doctor today. I liked her a lot. She asked a lot of questions and listened to our answers. She asked after every subsection of info if we had anything to add. She took a lot of notes. They emailed a long history report to fill out ahead of time and that really helped because it got me thinking about all the little things she ended up asking about. 

DD goes in next week. Doc will be doing an IQ assessment, the ADOS, and also looking into anxiety. It will be just the neuropsych and we'll be there all day. 

If you think of things that come up later because something jogged your memory, write it down and give it to the psych, even if it's not part of a survey. She can stick it in the appropriate place if you ask her too. 

• Like 1