Menu

Bragging post

My son has been in Gifted and Talented since Kindergarten when they tested. But I didn't think his scores were high enough for the more exclusive program (which starts in 4th grade).  It is called ASCEND and is more like what Gifted and Talented was when I was a kid -- instead of a hour and a half a week pulled out of his regular classes, the kids from all over the district are grouped together in one classroom and taught at a higher level in all their classes.  And he brought home an invitation yesterday!

There is an information meeting to find out more. But we are certainly learning toward letting him go. (BONUS! The ASCEND school for Elementary is the school he goes to anyway. So it will not mean switching schools now either.)

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

That's really great! It could be like a private school education without the tuition.

I'm curious - does your state fund TAG programs? Mine doesn't, so there really isn't much of anything going on as far as I know.

Gifted and Talented?  I live in Texas and I guess they do because I grew up in one. My son has been in one that is pull out and I know a few others kids in one.  I do know (now) this ASCEND program is district specific. Only two districts in the state (to their knowledge) have anything like it.  But other districts do different stuff for their GT students.So either the state funds it or a lot of localities prioritize it.

Gifted and Talented?  I live in Texas and I guess they do because I grew up in one. My son has been in one that is pull out and I know a few others kids in one.  I do know (now) this ASCEND program is district specific. Only two districts in the state (to their knowledge) have anything like it.  But other districts do different stuff for their GT students.So either the state funds it or a lot of localities prioritize it.

So just a few days after I replied to your post, I got a letter saying that my son was eligible for a similar kind of program in our district! It is essentially a magnet classroom (so any kid in the district can apply to transfer to it) for gifted kids. It is a multi-age classroom for 3rd-5th graders and they do differentiate. Ours is finishing up its first year and hopes to be a model for other districts. My son will attend next year :)

• Like 1